Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a Car in Oz?

Buying a Car in Oz?

Old Aug 12th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a Car in Oz?

I went to the licencing office yesterday. If you are temporary you do not need to change over to an aussie one unless you want to (you can for either 1 year or 5) but you are ok to drive on your UK one and buy a car with it.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Brisbane Bob will become famous soon enoughBrisbane Bob will become famous soon enough

Watch out for clocking aswell, some dodgy geezers about! I think the REVs check can confirm odometer readings. There was an article about it just yesterday....

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...003402,00.html
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

mcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to all

Stay on your uk driving license as long as you can,they say to change over after 3 months, i got snapped about 5 times speeding and never got a ticket,solely because you havent got an ozzy license ,theres nothing they can do.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 3:16 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Thats a good one macmorrow1, I will hold onto my Irish license and hopefully be able to use my Irish no claims bonus for an insurance discount.

Thats interesting brisbane bob about the clocking, do you think they would go to the bother of doing this on older cars that are fairly cheap to buy regardless of the mileage, or do they clock the mid range priced cars and over?

I am getting a car for less than 4k AUD to begin with.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:47 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi first off

Yes your irish licence is fine well in Victoria it is to buy and drive a car.

The whole buying klunkers is not how I would go if you can avoid it. If you can buy a decent car for about 10,000 that has some sort of warranty. Insure it and buy a sat nav all up its about 11,000 outlay. Then you are on happy motoring

On gas if you can find one.

Buy at least you are not stuck with a piece of crap that is sending you broke in Mechanic bills.

If all else fails look for a Ford Falcon XT sedan > 150,000km if it can be a taxi in most of australia it will put up with whatever you throw at it.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 5:11 pm

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Cheers for that Zambia,
I will be going to WA, so hopefully the Irish License be fine there as well.
Does the Ford Falcon XT Sedan come in a manual version?
Will be getting a car for under 4k AUD as I will be there for just under a year,unfortunately!
Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:32 pm

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Are you back packing in that case go cheap.

Manual cars are cheaper as they are not prefered by Aussies.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:40 pm

I will be living in WA for 6 - 12 month, then I will be going back to Ireland.
If I was staying for longer then I would definitely get a more expensive car that would have warranty etc.
I have sat nav on my phone so I shouldn't need an in car version to find places.
Your right though they are a valuable tool to have.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 2:45 am

You can aquire a Navman here for about 180 Bucks if you need it, but if your phone is tried and tested excellent.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

ronanbrady will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ronanbrady
As a Paddy new here in April, I was concerned too, but for no reason. Cars are easily got, shop around for value. Anything from $2500 for a half-decent run-around.
Buy it with "Rego" for 6/12 months if possible. This is reg/tax/3rd party combined (sort of) to what we were used to. I too brought my no claims statement from Hibernian but it hasn't been used yet. I paid $4500 for a 96 Camry so not too worried about getting her covered for fire or theft.
An Oz license was easily got too by producing full Irish Driving License, proof of address, bank cards x 2 and Passport.

Anything else just ask, the people here on BE are great for any query, no matter how trivial you think it is!!!
:curse:
Forget my earlier post, just spent $800 on new drive shaft!!!
Spend a few extra pound if needs be to save time, hassle & $'s in the long run!
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

mcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to all

You should automatically be awarded full no claims ,if you have full no claims in Ireland,get a letter from your insurance company before coming over stating that fact i.e full no claims discount ,and you should be alright .Hope your trip over is a good one.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

leigh-c will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mcmorrow1
Stay on your uk driving license as long as you can,they say to change over after 3 months, i got snapped about 5 times speeding and never got a ticket,solely because you havent got an ozzy license ,theres nothing they can do.
you lucky git i got caught speeding over in W.A 2 years ago on my irish licence an got a $250 fine i did avoid the penalty points, but got hit in the wallet instead
just dont speed an u'll be grand on your irish licence
Old Sep 18th 2009, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

JohnJ is on a distinguished road

Just a quick query...I have a full Irish license for about 8 years now...do I have to sit a driving test over in Aus or can I just swap to Aus license?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by JohnJ
Just a quick query...I have a full Irish license for about 8 years now...do I have to sit a driving test over in Aus or can I just swap to Aus license?
Quick answer Straight swap ... no problem.

Dont show anyone the irish licence they laugh at it ...