Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a Car in Oz?

Buying a Car in Oz?

Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:59 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a Car in Oz?

Originally Posted by temptininnit
troy from Autocare, brisbane road labrador. 55632166
You are very temptinain'tyeh! cheers me dears, have a karma with you bengel!

Keith
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:21 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
You are very temptinain'tyeh! cheers me dears, have a karma with you bengel!

Keith
No worries, he's an honest man.

Unlike many on the Coast!

Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:26 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

No worries, he's an honest man.

Unlike many on the Coast!

I might bell him anyway, when i land, the queen will need a car, and we ain't flush, the gigs have been drying up!

Some of the cars i have seen for $3000.00 to $4000.00 that is our price range, uh, queenslanders on wheels, sheds on segs!

Keith
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:32 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

I might bell him anyway, when i land, the queen will need a car, and we ain't flush, the gigs have been drying up!

Some of the cars i have seen for $3000.00 to $4000.00 that is our price range, uh, queenslanders on wheels, sheds on segs!

Keith
Sorry, he's a mechanic- not a car fixer-upper.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:36 am
Banned

Sorry, he's a mechanic- not a car fixer-upper.

Do you know any of them? If you wanted a car, say within a week, where would you look?

Keith
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:45 am
I've got time . . . . .

Do you know any of them? If you wanted a car, say within a week, where would you look?

Keith
Trading post, courier mail, gold coast bulletin or the dealers who will cost more.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:49 am
Banned

Trading post, courier mail, gold coast bulletin or the dealers who will cost more.

So its a wait till i land, hire a car, and get look'in? I hate buying old cars, you always buy someone elses problems, its like taking on an old divorcee!

Keith
Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future

RE not rushing to get a QLD driving licence, I would do the opposite and get asap - it is used everywhere (and requested everywhere) as an ID. NOt saying you cant get by without it but it has been invaluable to us
Old Aug 8th 2009, 6:03 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all
Question Re: Buying a Car in Oz?

Do you need a permanent address before you buy a car in Oz?
The plane so far is to get to Oz, Book temporary accommodation, rent a car, then go to the garages and but a car.
But do I need a permanent address or rented place as proof for the reg?
Old Aug 9th 2009, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Brisbane Bob will become famous soon enoughBrisbane Bob will become famous soon enough

Any rental address should be fine. I can't speak for the other states, but in Queensland we have Queensland Transport "shops". There are three such shops within about 20 minutes to 35 minutes drive from where I live.

Just walk in, bit like a post office, and you can register vehicles, get your driver's license immediately (they even take the photo), change your registration, do all that kind of stuff. Much better and much quicker than dealing with Swansea.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

jimmie2807 will become famous soon enoughjimmie2807 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ivanjjordan
my uk drivin lic was fine had to leave it with the dealer when i was test drivin the cars we bought got 2500 off me ute so haggle if u think u can get them down have a go u might only get a tank of gas u have to pay a transfer fee and stamp duty of about 2.5% the value of ur car u buy and pay that to the DPI u get a bill which i didnt understand and put in the draw then got a hundred dollar infringement bit of shock should of let the wife deal with it payin it and dont rush to get ur lic changed to an Oz one u have three months so wait till ur in ur perm rental as it has ur address on, good luck
am i the only one that has trouble understanding that??
Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Brisbane Bob
For me, the solution was an online insurer called Bingle. They are a subsidiary of AAMI, a well respected insurance company here but their premiums are much lower as everything is done online. Their quote, without any no claims was better than other companies quotes with.

They are definitely worth getting a quote from.
Save some extra cash by signing up to www.buckscoop.com.au, Aussie cashback site and they payout $40 for every completed Bingle policy. Not used this particular deal but had cashback payouts for other retailers without any problems.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:56 pm

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Ok I think I have it a bit now, So when buying a car in Oz make sure there is at least a good few month of Rego left( tax + 3rd party insurance combined ).
I was looking at gumtree perth and there seems to be some handy cars there going at a good price.

Ho would I know though by buying privately that there is no outstanding finance remaining on the vehicle from the previous owner?
Maybe a cheap car probably wouldnt.

Can I insure the car using my original Irish license? since I dont need to get an international driving license.
Or would I have to change my Irish license to an Australian one?

Thanks for all the info everyone
Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Brisbane Bob will become famous soon enoughBrisbane Bob will become famous soon enough

I am pretty sure you can use your Irish licence as soon as you get here and insure a vehicle with it, you certainly can with a UK licence.

Before buying a car privately you need to do what is called a REVs check to make sure there is no outstanding finance on the car and that the seller has clear title. This check will cost you $25. If you don't do it, you could lose the car!

Read more about it here......

https://www.autocheck.com.au/
Old Aug 12th 2009, 12:11 am

Thank you very much for that revs check bit Brisbane Bob.
Some of the car prices on Gumtree in Oz look quite appealing for a few thousand AUD, just a reliable run around would be the job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.