Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Old Nov 6th 2012, 10:57 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

I use SIA a fair bit. But bear in mind that SQ are a very poor choice for points burn on anything other than regional sectors. Firstly, before doing anything confirm the points needed before you transfer. This will mean logging into Krisflyer and trying a dummy booking. The points total will not show the 15% discount for points used online which is only shown at the final point of points deduction.

If you are short of points you are able to buy points directly from SQ if you have at least 50% of the points needed for that redemption award at the rate of $40US per 1000.

Krisflyer members have access to considerably more award availability than star alliance partners can see and I've never had an issue getting seats in J or F.

That all said if the burn from SPG to SQ is 20,000:5,000 then you will only have 31,000 points and a single one way saver J award AU to LHR is 85,000.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 11:08 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
That all said if the burn from SPG to SQ is 20,000:5,000 then you will only have 31,000 points and a single one way saver J award AU to LHR is 85,000.
Brian has already asked this question before:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774235

He has about 125k SPG points and they transfer 1:1 to KF plus an extra 5k if you transfer 20k.

SPG are also selling points with 20% bonus at the moment so if a small top up is needed the 2 x business class could be achievable I'd have thought.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
Brian has already asked this question before:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774235

He has about 125k SPG points and they transfer 1:1 to KF plus an extra 5k if you transfer 20k.

SPG are also selling points with 20% bonus at the moment so if a small top up is needed the 2 x business class could be achievable I'd have thought.
I was told by another poster on another forum that with the points transfered with 15% off booking online and something called award i have enough points for business without the need to have more points?
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:29 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

ok so i got the email for each of my 2 div miles account with bonus.

here's my plan:

> each account buys 15K miles for US$1,130 all-in, ending up in total 30K miles each account

> i will wait for the share miles promotion of 100% bonus and then share 30K from each account to a 3rd account, for $705 all-in.

Total cost of 120K miles = US$1,835. enough for RT Aus-Europe Biz Class.

Please can someone tell me this is possible? or will US airways catch up on my scheme and penalize me?
Old Nov 7th 2012, 9:55 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
ok so i got the email for each of my 2 div miles account with bonus.

Please can someone tell me this is possible? or will US airways catch up on my scheme and penalize me?
So are you saying you have:

1. 2 accounts in your name
2. 1 account in your name & 1 in some fictitious name OR
3. 1 account in your name & 1 in someone else's name that you manage?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:02 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

3 accounts in my name
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by commonwealth
3 accounts in my name
OK...well I wouldn't start sharing between those! I would imagine, that even if it's not explicitly written in the member guide that this is a breach of the terms & conditions of the program...particularly if it's done for the purpose of share promos. These accounts really need to be in different names...get a friend to sign up.

US do have a DM audit department who look out for this kind of stuff. Accounts with the same name, sharing miles with each other, probably paying with the same credit card may well attract their attention...and when that happens it aint pretty!

There is a guy who posts on another forum, a complete tool actually, and the biggest scammer going. US has just shut down 6 accounts, his + 5 family members after he admitted to booking a ticket for someone else and taking cash payment for that (no profit, just costs of miles, taxes etc). While the accounts were in different names, all buy, share transactions etc were on his credit card and the link between the accounts was clear. He's just lost 800,000 bought / shared miles and US refuses to talk to him and the decision seems very final. Personally I have no sympathy for him but this is what can happen.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:40 am
Daffyd Duck

oh. ok thanks for that info. i might just buy 50k miles in one a/c and wait for another promo. i'll also ask a friend to create an account.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 2:10 am
Just Joined

twitch1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

I have now completed 3 separate bookings and had a question on tax as one of the bookings the figures seemed high.

The First trip I am travelling from SYD>BKK>ZUR>MIA return from YVR>SYD For this I was charged $175 in tax

The second I am travelling from SYD > BKK > CDG > DUS > LHR then return CDG>BKK>SYD for this I was charged about $350 in tax

The third trip for my parents I booked was PER>SIN>CPH>GVA return GVA>FRA>BKK>PER and for this the tax was $195

No I am aware the flights into the UK have an extra tax but as my flight from the UK is from DUS and not direct into the UK I should only be paying the European amount and not the long haul amount.

Has anyone had any experience with varying tax amounts ?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 2:42 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by twitch1979
Hi Guys

I have now completed 3 separate bookings and had a question on tax as one of the bookings the figures seemed high.

The second I am travelling from SYD > BKK > CDG > DUS > LHR then return CDG>BKK>SYD for this I was charged about $350 in tax

No I am aware the flights into the UK have an extra tax but as my flight from the UK is from DUS and not direct into the UK I should only be paying the European amount and not the long haul amount.

Has anyone had any experience with varying tax amounts ?
Flights into the UK are not subject to UK APD...only flights DEPARTING the UK are. Even if you were departing the UK you pay APD relevant to the final destination unless you have a stopover > 24 hours on the way.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 2:58 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by twitch1979
H
I think the taxes for this one should be about A$280. Does your $350 include the $50 fee or $75 close in booking fee?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:12 am
Just Joined

Flights into the UK are not subject to UK APD...only flights DEPARTING the UK are. Even if you were departing the UK you pay APD relevant to the final destination unless you have a stopover > 24 hours on the way.
Thanks for clearing that up. As I am not departing from the UK then it can not be the UK tax bumping up the price.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:14 am
Just Joined

I think the taxes for this one should be about A$280. Does your $350 include the $50 fee or $75 close in booking fee?
Hi bcworld

The fees I mentioned are rounded but within a couple of dollars of the correct amount. All are for future travel in 2013 so don't include the $75 early ticketing fee. They are all excluding the $50 fee.

Here are the exact amounts for the tax only.

SYD>BKK>ZHR>MIA - YVR>SYD - $175.61 USD
PER>SIN>CPH>ZHR>GVA - GVA>FRA>BKK>PER - $194.46 USD
SYD>BKK>CDG>DUS>LHR - CDG>BKK>SYD $331.67 USD

Last edited by twitch1979; Nov 8th 2012 at 4:27 am.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 10:30 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Exclamation Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Here's another interesting offer...particularly if you're interested in a one way.

American Airlines Advantage (Oneworld member & partner of Qantas, BA, Cathay etc) are currently selling miles with 50% bonus. They generally have a purchase limit of 40k miles per calendar year (Jan - Dec) but they've temporarily bumped it up to 60k meaning you can buy 60+30 now.

You can find the Oneworld award chart yourself but as an example of total costs:

80k miles - Oneway MEL-LHR in Qantas A380 FIRST (availability is OK) - USD1740
60k miles - Or the same journey in business - USD1295

Alternatively you could get 90k now and 30k next calendar year for a business class return (120k). Or if you have any LifeMiles you could use those for a one way.

They have online booking...it shows QF & BA but not Cathay which you'd have to call up for. BA flights do attract fuel surcharges but the others don't.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to all

Thanks BC
Do you know whether it is possible to use a combination of these miles plus BA Avios?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.