Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Student Considering Emigration to Oz

British Student Considering Emigration to Oz

Old Jun 8th 2015, 2:46 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Student Considering Emigration to Oz

Originally Posted by TVProducer
Would love to hear from people who have been/thinking about going to Kalgoorlie.
See his advert in the media requests forum.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

green_tree is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
See his advert in the media requests forum.
Yeah, I'd appreciate it if he didn't advertise his 'TV show', on a post where I'm trying to get advice
Old Jun 8th 2015, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Now what's this? Play nice gentlemen .
Old Jun 8th 2015, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

green_tree is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh pipe down Gree-Tree. Wow, must be such a huge inconvenience for you having to read. Also it's a TV show yes. You don't need to add inverted commas.
Alright, didn't mean to offend. Was just stating that you have your own thread in the most relevant forum that you could continue.

Good luck with the show.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 3:03 pm
Banned

TVProducer is an unknown quantity at this point

Great. The moderator has now deleted my messages (for what by the way?-Get a life and or a real job dude). Cheers for dobbing me in you massive square.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 3:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Great. The moderator has now deleted my messages (for what by the way?-Get a life and or a real job dude). Cheers for dobbing me in you massive square.
Gosh, you're a charming chap aren't you? Bet Mentorn TV are really pleased you're representing them on a public forum.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 11:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by green_tree
Appreciate the honesty, but could you elaborate?
Sure. Australia isn't some sort of tropical paradise. It's still hard work, long hours and crap pay/conditions.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 12:57 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Please let me know if I'm just being naive :P
Not naive but possibly overestimating the lifestyle here and underestimating your potential if you play your cards right.

The best thing about the place is the weather (as long as you live in Queensland). But unless you are into surfing each morning I could think of better places in the world to live. The general impression is that Australia is an outdoors type of nation but overall there isn't heaps more to do than anywhere else (weather permitting). Personally I'm looking forward to getting out of here as it does feel like the end of the world (well, there always is NZ I guess...) and so far from it all.

Job-wise what are you happy to do in the coming years? Do you want to work for a big corporation, labouring long hours doing IT stuff that isn't focused on creativity or ingenuity (but getting a nice pay package)? Or maybe joining some software development house that churns out best-selling video games and possibly doing something that would be your dream job? Or do you plan on 'going it alone' and starting something yourself as a computer science wiz?

I would certainly focus on what it is you want to do career-wise first and then add the lifestyle factor (incl. 'country of residence') once you get that sorted. If you do set your sights on Australia then look at the big picture and aim to at least stay until you become a citizen (same if you somehow end up in Canada).
Old Jun 9th 2015, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of people that spend their weekends living like on holiday is tiny. We clean the house, do the shopping and all the other mundane things that have to be done. Oz is also not great for exploring on a weekend. Everything is a long way from everywhere else. You would pretty much spend the weekend driving.

Yes, we can go to the beach in summer - for most of Oz that isn't, contrary to what many think, a year round thing. Here in WA this weekend it will be cold and raining. But, even in summer, it soon wears thin. I live only minutes walk from the beach and other than taking the dog for a walk, I bet I didn't go more than a few times last year and some years not at all.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Sure. Australia isn't some sort of tropical paradise. It's still hard work, long hours and crap pay/conditions.
Its a good point. After the initial euphoria dies down it does grow more ordinary. I do love the weather here and for me that's really the biggest difference. Second, less crowded. Apart from that its approximately the same standard of living as the UK.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I live a few minutes walk from the beach and go every weekend, even its just to sit with a coffee, and most evenings in the summer too. For 6 months of the year I'll swim most days. I love it, it still feels like being on holidays most weekends to me.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I live a few minutes walk from the beach and go every weekend, even its just to sit with a coffee, and most evenings in the summer too. For 6 months of the year I'll swim most days. I love it, it still feels like being on holidays most weekends to me.
I spend a lot of time at the beach too. Yesterday I went for a drive with the family and discovered some lovely little beaches just north of Wollongong. Beautiful little part of the world. Coledale, Stanwell, Thirroul, etc. All of which are about an hour from central Sydney.

I actually went for a swim. Water wasn't too bad temp wise. Not bad for first month of winter.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 11:21 pm
Loves Australia

AceofSpades is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

First of all, this is my very first post on any kind of emigration forum, so apologies if I come across a little young and naive, I'm simply testing the water!

I'm a student from the UK at a mid-range Uni (about 20-30 in rankings) studying Information Technology. I've completed my first and second year, and I'm now on a year-long placement. I currently work at one of the top 5 worlds largest companies in a software development role, but with some other exposure mixed in (business analysis, project management, server architecture). After the placement is over, Ill return for my final year of university.

My job prospects here in the UK look pretty good, there's potential for me to return here after I graduate, and I'm sure the years experience will go a long way if not. (Dont get me wrong, I know how tough it is out there for grads)

Anyway, I'm considering the option of emmigration pretty heavily. It's nothing to do with increased job prospects or hope of a better career, I just genuinely believe I'll be happy living in a different environment for a change. I'm currently considering two options, Australia & Canada. I appreciate they're completely different, but I've travelled a lot and they're the two countries that stick out to me as favourable.

What I want to know is, what is a feasbile route of moving to Australia? I don't really want to take a 'working holiday' to work in a bar/cafe etc as I'd like to try and continue my proffesional career seamlessly. I have a lot of ability in computer science that I dont really want to distance myself from.

Is it realistic to move to Australia in the near future & obtain a job in my profession, or should I be thinking about staying around in the UK for some time to get more experience, and if so, how long?

I'd just really like to get a feel for my options and ensure I'm well prepared for the future.

Cheers for reading
Just wanted to wish you luck, Seek usually has heaps of IT jobs. If you're looking for lifestyle go for somewhere with a mix of country and beach within commuting distance of a major town or city.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 11:25 pm
Loves Australia

AceofSpades is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by verystormy
The amount of people that spend their weekends living like on holiday is tiny. We clean the house, do the shopping and all the other mundane things that have to be done. Oz is also not great for exploring on a weekend. Everything is a long way from everywhere else. You would pretty much spend the weekend driving.

Yes, we can go to the beach in summer - for most of Oz that isn't, contrary to what many think, a year round thing. Here in WA this weekend it will be cold and raining. But, even in summer, it soon wears thin. I live only minutes walk from the beach and other than taking the dog for a walk, I bet I didn't go more than a few times last year and some years not at all.
I go to the beach most weekends. If its warm we have brunch at a seaside restaurant or a surf club. The dog gets walked on the beach every morning. If it's hot we head inland to the shade on weekends, we also do a lot of camping. I also have a boat and take that out as much as I can.