Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK ex-police seeks emigration advice

UK ex-police seeks emigration advice

Old Jun 7th 2015, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Bammers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK ex-police seeks emigration advice

Hi all. I'm seeking guidance on getting out to Oz. I'm 45 years old, separated, fit & healthy. I've done over 25 years in UK police. I've worked for years in firearms being proficient with glock, baton gun, mp5 & taser. I'm advanced and 4x4 driver trained. I'm looking to try and get to WA Perth. My paternal grandfather was an Australian Citizen,( but I don't think this counts for anything). I would consider any jobs if they sponsored. What are my best options in achieving this? Retrain.? Where do I start to get best chance of achieving my wishes. Any guidance would be gratefully received. Regards Bammers
Old Jun 7th 2015, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK ex-police seeks emigration advice

Skilled migration requires an occupation on one of two lists called the sol and csol.

Police is on there, but only on the csol and requires a state police force to sponsor. In effect, you need to be offered a role. A number of forces do recruit internationally for police. However, be aware that they normally ask for younger / less experienced police.

Retraining would be very hard as it is impossible for most people to get enough points after the age of 45. 50 is a cut off, but effectively impossible from 45. Also, most occupations require a number of years post qualifacation experience.

You could retrain in the hope of gaining sponsorship by a company, however, the big risks are that the occupation is no longer on the list by the time you qualify - the lists get updated regularly with occupations being removed and added at will.

Also. Most sponsored visas are 457. This is only a temporary visa normally for 4 years. You would need to hope that the busines would be happy to also sponsor permanent. Once you turn 50 being sponsored into a permanent visa is very hard as extra rules apply including that you are earning a high salary (I believe it is about $130k).

In summary, my advice would be to check each States police recruitment. WA are currently recruiting domestically and if they don't get the numbers they may recruit international.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 5:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
Skilled migration requires an occupation on one of two lists called the sol and csol.

Police is on there, but only on the csol and requires a state police force to sponsor. In effect, you need to be offered a role. A number of forces do recruit internationally for police. However, be aware that they normally ask for younger / less experienced police.

Retraining would be very hard as it is impossible for most people to get enough points after the age of 45. 50 is a cut off, but effectively impossible from 45. Also, most occupations require a number of years post qualifacation experience.

You could retrain in the hope of gaining sponsorship by a company, however, the big risks are that the occupation is no longer on the list by the time you qualify - the lists get updated regularly with occupations being removed and added at will.

Also. Most sponsored visas are 457. This is only a temporary visa normally for 4 years. You would need to hope that the busines would be happy to also sponsor permanent. Once you turn 50 being sponsored into a permanent visa is very hard as extra rules apply including that you are earning a high salary (I believe it is about $130k).

In summary, my advice would be to check each States police recruitment. WA are currently recruiting domestically and if they don't get the numbers they may recruit international.
Thanks for the speedy reply. Back to the drawing board for me.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 6:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bammers
Thanks for the speedy reply. Back to the drawing board for me.
We've got a Police forum here Police - British Expats which will give you an idea about international recruiting. WA and SA do sponsor occasionally, but you generally have to be a serving police officer at the time -as well as meeting other criteria.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Did your dad take up his citizenship by descent from his dad? If so, did he live in Aus for 2 years before you were born? If he did then you might also be eligible for citizenship by descent. (Just trying to think outside the box). Otherwise I hate to say but you may well be too old!
Old Jun 8th 2015, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
Did your dad take up his citizenship by descent from his dad? If so, did he live in Aus for 2 years before you were born? If he did then you might also be eligible for citizenship by descent. (Just trying to think outside the box). Otherwise I hate to say but you may well be too old!
Too old. Awesome. That's a first for me. Better go get my coffin ready. Ty
Old Jun 8th 2015, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bammers
Too old. Awesome. That's a first for me. Better go get my coffin ready. Ty
Yup, bugger ain't it?! Aus isn't kind to the over 50s - I'm sure there's plenty of life in the old dog yet, you're likely only half way there!
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute

WA Police are not recruiting currently - their last recruitment was last year and they are only just starting the course now. They normally only take serving officers.