Reload this Page >

British Student Considering Emigration to Oz

British Student Considering Emigration to Oz

Old Apr 8th 2015, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

green_tree is an unknown quantity at this point
Question British Student Considering Emigration to Oz

Hi All,

First of all, this is my very first post on any kind of emigration forum, so apologies if I come across a little young and naive, I'm simply testing the water!

I'm a student from the UK at a mid-range Uni (about 20-30 in rankings) studying Information Technology. I've completed my first and second year, and I'm now on a year-long placement. I currently work at one of the top 5 worlds largest companies in a software development role, but with some other exposure mixed in (business analysis, project management, server architecture). After the placement is over, Ill return for my final year of university.

My job prospects here in the UK look pretty good, there's potential for me to return here after I graduate, and I'm sure the years experience will go a long way if not. (Dont get me wrong, I know how tough it is out there for grads)

Anyway, I'm considering the option of emmigration pretty heavily. It's nothing to do with increased job prospects or hope of a better career, I just genuinely believe I'll be happy living in a different environment for a change. I'm currently considering two options, Australia & Canada. I appreciate they're completely different, but I've travelled a lot and they're the two countries that stick out to me as favourable.

What I want to know is, what is a feasbile route of moving to Australia? I don't really want to take a 'working holiday' to work in a bar/cafe etc as I'd like to try and continue my proffesional career seamlessly. I have a lot of ability in computer science that I dont really want to distance myself from.

Is it realistic to move to Australia in the near future & obtain a job in my profession, or should I be thinking about staying around in the UK for some time to get more experience, and if so, how long?

I'd just really like to get a feel for my options and ensure I'm well prepared for the future.

Cheers for reading
Old Apr 8th 2015, 11:13 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Student Considering Emigration to Oz

Originally Posted by green_tree
Is it realistic to move to Australia in the near future & obtain a job in my profession, or should I be thinking about staying around in the UK for some time to get more experience, and if so, how long?
In order to take a route other than 'working holiday' you will need greater work experience than you will have at graduation. Your skills would need to be assessed by the Australian Computer Society (ACS) prior to being able to submit a visa application.

https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets...teria-2014.pdf

As far as I can see your minimum requirement looks like 2 years...and one question is whether your placement year will count...you'd need to look into that.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks bcworld. Yeah after reading the information from the ACS I can see that my minimum required experience would be 2 years. I'm hoping that the placement counts. My role this year is one that is on Australia's skills list, but as I havent graduated yet I'm unsure.

Do you have any idea who the right people to query this with would be?
Old Apr 9th 2015, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

OzzyDreamer86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your placement wont count. It is only experience gained AFTER graduation that they assess. It is a minimum of 2 years but could be 4 as it depends on the length of degree and uni, whether they decide it is ICT major or minor etc. Sounds daft but not all degrees are assessed as ICT major. Run it all by ACS. Also the required work experience is deducted and essentially lost. If you have 2 years experience and you apply with 2 years experience you will pass the skills assessment and but will not be able to claim work experience points for the visa as only experience AFTER those 2 years are deducted count. You need 60 points to get the visa. Depending on age etc you may not make the 60points without work experience points. Speak with ACS at how many years you need and calculate points on the immi website to see if you could score 60 without work experience points. But you will need to work for minimum of 2 years in that jobs after you graduate to be eligible for a visa other the a working holiday.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

OzzyDreamer86, first of all thank for the very useful information. You've made me aware of things that werent clear to me.

I'll investigate to see if I have the points required without the work experience.

In terms of a working holiday, would it be unlikely/impossible to obtain IT work with that kind of visa? I think I'm right in thinking that you're only able to work for 6 months at each establishment? What are the chances of obtaining a couple of contract/consultancy arrangements? This might enable me to get a better feel for Australia before making a permanent decision.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

OzzyDreamer86 is an unknown quantity at this point

No worries

Tbh there are not many employers willing to employ people for 'normal' jobs. Most people on WHV do typical back packer jobs. Also IT jobs are competitive it is the most over subscribed job for permanent residence visas and they all even have caps put on the number of applicants as so many people from the IT field apply for these visas and a granted all the time. You would be fighting against those guys. Plus I think they would already want you degree qualified.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 9th 2015 at 7:38 pm. Reason: Do not tout for business for your forum. Not allowed on BE.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Geezer123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I reckon you could go out on a WHV and secure employment which for many people leads to living in Australia.

If you're smart though and interested in actually having a career and doing well..I wouldn't bother with Australia.

Immigrating to Australia is for the lower educated scale of things. compared to your USA/Canada Asia, etc.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 12:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geezer123
Personally I reckon you could go out on a WHV and secure employment which for many people leads to living in Australia.

If you're smart though and interested in actually having a career and doing well..I wouldn't bother with Australia.

Immigrating to Australia is for the lower educated scale of things. compared to your USA/Canada Asia, etc.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 12:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Huh?
Old Apr 10th 2015, 1:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Huh?
Wanna share my oh fellow lower educated person ?
Old Apr 10th 2015, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with this bit

Don't agree with this bit
Old Apr 10th 2015, 5:17 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzzyDreamer86
Your placement wont count. It is only experience gained AFTER graduation that they assess. It is a minimum of 2 years but could be 4 as it depends on the length of degree and uni, whether they decide it is ICT major or minor etc. Sounds daft but not all degrees are assessed as ICT major. Run it all by ACS. Also the required work experience is deducted and essentially lost. If you have 2 years experience and you apply with 2 years experience you will pass the skills assessment and but will not be able to claim work experience points for the visa as only experience AFTER those 2 years are deducted count. You need 60 points to get the visa. Depending on age etc you may not make the 60points without work experience points. Speak with ACS at how many years you need and calculate points on the immi website to see if you could score 60 without work experience points. But you will need to work for minimum of 2 years in that jobs after you graduate to be eligible for a visa other the a working holiday.
That's not true - ACS will assess you as meeting their criteria when you have a combination of experience and qualification - if you gain suitable experience prior to qualification it can still be used.

Green_tea, I would contact ACS for advice - they are very helpful. You will need to get a detailed reference for the placement outlining duties and responsibilities though if you can use it at a later date. Guidelines on references can also be found in the info available from ACS
Old Apr 10th 2015, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

What a pile of fair dinkum nonsense,
Old Apr 11th 2015, 3:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like someone applied for an Oz visa and got knocked back. Sour grapes
Old Apr 11th 2015, 6:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Sounds like someone applied for an Oz visa and got knocked back. Sour grapes
Must have been far too well qualified as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.