Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Student Considering Emigration to Oz

British Student Considering Emigration to Oz

Old Apr 11th 2015, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Student Considering Emigration to Oz

Originally Posted by Geezer123
Personally I reckon you could go out on a WHV and secure employment which for many people leads to living in Australia.

If you're smart though and interested in actually having a career and doing well..I wouldn't bother with Australia.

Immigrating to Australia is for the lower educated scale of things. compared to your USA/Canada Asia, etc.
The first bit, well that's exactly what I did but to paraphrase Liam Neeson I had a ' certain set of skills' and it was over 25 yrs ago, the landscape is different now.

As for the rest, I can see elements of what you are ( badly) saying and I see some BS. The level of professionalism and education in the workplace is generally greater in Europe and the U.S. than Australia ( I've worked in all 3 places, currently in UK working for a European global) but that is a far cry from being 'better'.

As I get older though, those things matter less. It doesn't matter where on the 'table' a particular country is, especially if you intend to live there. You work to the best of your ability and adapt to the environment around you.

If you are well educated with experience, why does it makes sense to put yourself in a superheated, super professional environment where everyone else can outgun each other? I'd rather be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

As you get older, these things matter less. My corporate experience in Australia, for the most part has been far more fun than anywhere else I've worked. Not exactly a trip to Disneyland every day but not the knife egded tension I've experienced else where.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 1:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Must have been far too well qualified as well.
And after at least ten years of reading about the limited options to migrate to the US I would say he might like to read the well known article Pulaski's Ways before posting the same theory again..........
Old Apr 13th 2015, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

SOTR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by green_tree
Hi All,

First of all, this is my very first post on any kind of emigration forum, so apologies if I come across a little young and naive, I'm simply testing the water!

I'm a student from the UK at a mid-range Uni (about 20-30 in rankings) studying Information Technology. I've completed my first and second year, and I'm now on a year-long placement. I currently work at one of the top 5 worlds largest companies in a software development role, but with some other exposure mixed in (business analysis, project management, server architecture). After the placement is over, Ill return for my final year of university.

My job prospects here in the UK look pretty good, there's potential for me to return here after I graduate, and I'm sure the years experience will go a long way if not. (Dont get me wrong, I know how tough it is out there for grads)

Anyway, I'm considering the option of emmigration pretty heavily. It's nothing to do with increased job prospects or hope of a better career, I just genuinely believe I'll be happy living in a different environment for a change. I'm currently considering two options, Australia & Canada. I appreciate they're completely different, but I've travelled a lot and they're the two countries that stick out to me as favourable.

What I want to know is, what is a feasbile route of moving to Australia? I don't really want to take a 'working holiday' to work in a bar/cafe etc as I'd like to try and continue my proffesional career seamlessly. I have a lot of ability in computer science that I dont really want to distance myself from.

Is it realistic to move to Australia in the near future & obtain a job in my profession, or should I be thinking about staying around in the UK for some time to get more experience, and if so, how long?

I'd just really like to get a feel for my options and ensure I'm well prepared for the future.

Cheers for reading
The other comments are quite correct, to go down the direct sponsored visa/PR route you'd need a good few years experience, which you won't have for a while. However, if you don't want to wait, then I'd advise you bite the bullet and go with the working holiday option. Working in a cafe or a bar for a while wouldn't be a disaster and most employers realise that young people like to take some time out to do a bit of travelling.

While you're over here, keep your nose to the ground and maybe you might get lucky... try to pick up some temping work in your chosen field, join some organisations and just speak to as many people as you can. Having connections over here makes things so much easier - i cannot emphasize that enough!!

I worked in my first job over here on a sponsored visa for 3 years, built up enough experience and was then able to obtain PR. However, after getting PR I had real trouble finding a new job. It took me about 1 year and over 100 job applications - which resulted in only 2 job interviews. I had good, local work experience and three degrees from three different top-20 ranked UK universities. Sometimes that doesn't mean a whole lot over here - the system doesn't work like the UK!

I got my current job, with a large multinational american company, through a guy I knew, whom I'd met a few times drinking with mates down the pub! So many of my mates over here can tell a similar story... in addition and to my utter amazement, since working in my current position, I've learned that most of my colleagues were also hired under similar circumstances! Mates recommending mates! I have friends who work for the same company, back in the UK, all of whom had to go through rounds of interviews, or a grueling graduate recruitment process, to get their jobs.

If I were you, I'd finish your degree, then get on the next available plane to Australia with a working holiday visa. When you get here try to make as many connections as possible and keep your ear to the ground. Keeping pushing and inquiring... Worst case scenario: nothing develops, but you still have a great laugh for a year, living the life in the backpacker haven that is Australia! Then head back to the UK, work for a couple of years, build up some experience, then apply via the conventional route. Through my football club, over the years I've met well over 100 guys (under the age of 30) from the UK and Ireland and the vast majority of them (well over 75%) who're now PR, started out with working holiday visas.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

green_tree is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SOTR
The other comments are quite correct, to go down the direct sponsored visa/PR route you'd need a good few years experience, which you won't have for a while. However, if you don't want to wait, then I'd advise you bite the bullet and go with the working holiday option. Working in a cafe or a bar for a while wouldn't be a disaster and most employers realise that young people like to take some time out to do a bit of travelling.

While you're over here, keep your nose to the ground and maybe you might get lucky... try to pick up some temping work in your chosen field, join some organisations and just speak to as many people as you can. Having connections over here makes things so much easier - i cannot emphasize that enough!!

I worked in my first job over here on a sponsored visa for 3 years, built up enough experience and was then able to obtain PR. However, after getting PR I had real trouble finding a new job. It took me about 1 year and over 100 job applications - which resulted in only 2 job interviews. I had good, local work experience and three degrees from three different top-20 ranked UK universities. Sometimes that doesn't mean a whole lot over here - the system doesn't work like the UK!

I got my current job, with a large multinational american company, through a guy I knew, whom I'd met a few times drinking with mates down the pub! So many of my mates over here can tell a similar story... in addition and to my utter amazement, since working in my current position, I've learned that most of my colleagues were also hired under similar circumstances! Mates recommending mates! I have friends who work for the same company, back in the UK, all of whom had to go through rounds of interviews, or a grueling graduate recruitment process, to get their jobs.

If I were you, I'd finish your degree, then get on the next available plane to Australia with a working holiday visa. When you get here try to make as many connections as possible and keep your ear to the ground. Keeping pushing and inquiring... Worst case scenario: nothing develops, but you still have a great laugh for a year, living the life in the backpacker haven that is Australia! Then head back to the UK, work for a couple of years, build up some experience, then apply via the conventional route. Through my football club, over the years I've met well over 100 guys (under the age of 30) from the UK and Ireland and the vast majority of them (well over 75%) who're now PR, started out with working holiday visas.
Sorry to revive this thread after a while, I've been very busy with work/university and researching!

This particular comment is both encouraging and also discouraging! This idea does seem to make logical sense, but realistically what are the chances of obtaining sponsorship from an Australian employer whilst on a WHV?

In the mean time, the ACS have confirmed that the prior work experience does in fact count, but I'd still need a total of 4 years for the skill assessment and for the visa. I'm absolutely fine with working in the UK for 2 years, but I'm constantly seeing the occupational ceiling for Business Analyst is hit (which is probably the role I'm most suited for), and I don't want to work for 2 years here, and then find I'm stuck! Don't get me wrong, I love the UK but I don't want to stay here forever!
Old Jun 5th 2015, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
The first bit, well that's exactly what I did but to paraphrase Liam Neeson I had a ' certain set of skills' and it was over 25 yrs ago, the landscape is different now.

As for the rest, I can see elements of what you are ( badly) saying and I see some BS. The level of professionalism and education in the workplace is generally greater in Europe and the U.S. than Australia ( I've worked in all 3 places, currently in UK working for a European global) but that is a far cry from being 'better'.

As I get older though, those things matter less. It doesn't matter where on the 'table' a particular country is, especially if you intend to live there. You work to the best of your ability and adapt to the environment around you.

If you are well educated with experience, why does it makes sense to put yourself in a superheated, super professional environment where everyone else can outgun each other? I'd rather be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

As you get older, these things matter less. My corporate experience in Australia, for the most part has been far more fun than anywhere else I've worked. Not exactly a trip to Disneyland every day but not the knife egded tension I've experienced else where.

I'd also like to add that I don't want to move to Australia to enhance my career prospects, or for a better corporate lifestlye, I want to move for an enhanced quality of life.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

After a lot of years on the forums, I would say that less than 10% of WHV holders go on to get sponsored.

There is no way of knowing if your occupation will even still be on the lists in two years time. The lists are updated every year with some occupations being added and some removed. The entire system is also regularly changed.

What "enhanced" lifestyle do you think oz offers? In my experience of seven years here, it is no better. Just different.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 11:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
After a lot of years on the forums, I would say that less than 10% of WHV holders go on to get sponsored.

There is no way of knowing if your occupation will even still be on the lists in two years time. The lists are updated every year with some occupations being added and some removed. The entire system is also regularly changed.

What "enhanced" lifestyle do you think oz offers? In my experience of seven years here, it is no better. Just different.
Agree with all of this. Very few WHV holders get sponsored for PR - possibly for a 457, but we all know that's temporary.

After 9 years I'm just about ready to go home. My new partner is interested in living in Canada, so next year we're looking at going for a recce to my home town and then possibly start the process of moving home. There is certainly no "enhanced" lifestyle where I sit.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 9:20 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also like to add that I don't want to move to Australia to enhance my career prospects, or for a better corporate lifestlye, I want to move for an enhanced quality of life.
In a way there is always a fine (or thicker) line between those notions.

Regardless, I'm not sure I'd put everything aside for the "lifestyle change" that Australia provides. I mean you're in IT so I'm assuming a lot of intimate time indoors with a sexy mainframe, and office temperatures are pretty much the same throughout the world.

I'd take another hard look at what it is that you're after here, and first and foremost look at your career prospects simply because you are at the very start of your career. Make a few right moves right now and other interesting options might open up for you in a couple of years.

For instance why not wait and then apply for jobs in several different countries with exorbitant expectations to see if anyone bites the hook? But for this you will need to have some good work experience under your belt - such as with the company you currently work for during your placement (where you mentioned you might be able to come back to after uni).

So set yourself up for a sweet move in the future - the lifestyle that entails will be a lot better than neglecting your career prospects now and putting bullet-holes in a CV that could be your golden passport to a lavish expat package somewhere.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
So set yourself up for a sweet move in the future - the lifestyle that entails will be a lot better than neglecting your career prospects now and putting bullet-holes in a CV that could be your golden passport to a lavish expat package somewhere.
Heheh. Yeah, like in Singapore
Old Jun 8th 2015, 11:41 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
Heheh. Yeah, like in Singapore
Well, that would be the golden ticket if the CV can tick all the boxes.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Guys, thank you all for your advice. You all have extremely valid points.

Maybe I'm rushing too much, I guess I've just had too many 'life is too short' realisations so I kinda just want to experience something new. I've gave England 21 years of my life & I might seem young but that's a big chunk of the time I've got on this big ball of rock!

The reason I'm kinda wanting to move sooner rather than later is because obviously eventually I want to settle down & start a family soon. I don't wanna haul my children half way across the world just as they're starting school, so if Australia is a mistake for me, I think I need to know that soon?

I know a lot of people that emigrate there tend to move back eventually, but some stay too.

I completely understand what you guys are saying as well about the early stages of my career. I'm incredibly hard working and very ambitious, but I've seen people work towards their career their whole life and never be quite satisfied with the position they end up in. I at least want to enjoy the road there!

The thing about 'it doesnt matter where you work as you're in doors anyway'. Again, makes sense. But the weekends would kinda be like a little holiday for the first couple of years. & I could take a week off and just visit another part of my own country which seems awesome.

Please let me know if I'm just being naive :P
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by astera
Make a few right moves right now and other interesting options might open up for you in a couple of years.
I also think this is a key point for me. Who knows what opportunities my post-university career will bring... I'm just rather nervous about the whole thing at the moment. It's a tough world out there for graduates!
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:57 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, thank you all for your advice. You all have extremely valid points.

Maybe I'm rushing too much, I guess I've just had too many 'life is too short' realisations so I kinda just want to experience something new. I've gave England 21 years of my life & I might seem young but that's a big chunk of the time I've got on this big ball of rock!

The reason I'm kinda wanting to move sooner rather than later is because obviously eventually I want to settle down & start a family soon. I don't wanna haul my children half way across the world just as they're starting school, so if Australia is a mistake for me, I think I need to know that soon?

I know a lot of people that emigrate there tend to move back eventually, but some stay too.

I completely understand what you guys are saying as well about the early stages of my career. I'm incredibly hard working and very ambitious, but I've seen people work towards their career their whole life and never be quite satisfied with the position they end up in. I at least want to enjoy the road there!

The thing about 'it doesnt matter where you work as you're in doors anyway'. Again, makes sense. But the weekends would kinda be like a little holiday for the first couple of years. & I could take a week off and just visit another part of my own country which seems awesome.

Please let me know if I'm just being naive :P
You're being naive.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You're being naive.
Appreciate the honesty, but could you elaborate?
Old Jun 8th 2015, 2:30 pm
Banned

TVProducer is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone considered moving to Kalgoorlie?

Because I have an interesting idea..

Would love to hear from people who have been/thinking about going to Kalgoorlie.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 8th 2015 at 3:00 pm. Reason: Posts merged - there is an edit button if you think of something you want to add

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.