Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane heat hell

Brisbane heat hell

Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane heat hell

Originally Posted by bcworld
Um hello, 'Smart State'!
They had to can that, the qlder's would not take them, wanted sunshine state, about 10,000 unused plates became scrap
Old Oct 24th 2014, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I always have a giggle when I see Victorian number plates in Brisbane...

Victoria The Place to be

Sunshine Coast airport always makes me smile.

Prior to the flight to Melbourne the outside viewing area is packed full of the Deck shoe and white linen crew ( victorians with holiday home in noosa/buderim etc ).

They sit outside catching the last rays of sun as if they were flying out to Siberia not Melbourne You can spot them a mile off, well dressed, brown as biscuits, designer sunnies, moaning about the weather they will have to face at the other end.

An hour and half in and the baggage shuffle starts, jumper, hoodies and coats! need to be firmly in place before those doors open. Then some brave qld'er will tumble down the aisle in boardies and singlet and the 'knowing' looks start.

Same every flight
Old Oct 24th 2014, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Um hello, 'Smart State'!
Yeah, never understood that one. Bewildering really.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
They had to can that, the qlder's would not take them, wanted sunshine state, about 10,000 unused plates became scrap

Glad they got rid of them. That slogan never made sense.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Sunshine Coast airport always makes me smile.

Prior to the flight to Melbourne the outside viewing area is packed full of the Deck shoe and white linen crew ( victorians with holiday home in noosa/buderim etc ).

They sit outside catching the last rays of sun as if they were flying out to Siberia not Melbourne You can spot them a mile off, well dressed, brown as biscuits, designer sunnies, moaning about the weather they will have to face at the other end.

An hour and half in and the baggage shuffle starts, jumper, hoodies and coats! need to be firmly in place before those doors open. Then some brave qld'er will tumble down the aisle in boardies and singlet and the 'knowing' looks start.

Same every flight

Well, I took minimalist clothing to Sydney last week and I froze - 6° in the mornings. I know it was a cold snap, but really!

The coffee guy in Park road Milton wears shorts, flops and t shirt throughout winter i.e. that's what he wears all year round. That's acclimatization for you. Mind my son in England went to school in the middle of winter in trousers, shirt and tie. No jumper ever. Nuts!
Old Oct 24th 2014, 10:06 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of 'take the piss' fodder here, you Pommy bastards. Go on, knock yourselves out (even I find some of them embarrassing!!)

Australian state and territory slogans
New South Wales – First State (previously The Premier State), Towards 2000
Victoria – Garden State, On the Move, The Place to Be
Queensland – Sunshine State, Smart State, Beautiful one day perfect the next
Western Australia – The Real Thing (previously Golden State, State of Excitement, Wildflower State)
South Australia – Festival State, Better by Bike, The Wine State, The Defence State, The Creative State
Tasmania – Apple Isle, Holiday Isle, Natural State (also Your Natural State), Explore the Possibilities
Australian Capital Territory – Nation's Capital (previously Heart of the Nation and Feel the Power)
Northern Territory – Outback Australia, The Never Never, 'The Difference is Opportunity

Australian state and territory nicknames

The following is a list of Australian state and territory nicknames.
New South Wales – Canadians (North of the Border),Cockroaches Coat-hangers, and Cornstalks[1][citation needed]
Victoria – Mexicans (South of the Border),[citation needed]
Queensland – Pommys, Banana Benders, Cane Toads
Western Australia – Sand Gropers
South Australia – 'Crow Eaters or Wheatfielders"[1]
Tasmania – Taswegians, Apple Eaters, Twin Heads "Jam Eaters"[1]
Australian Capital Territory – Territorians "Roundabout-Abouters"'[citation needed]
Northern Territory – Territorians "Top Enders"
Eastern States in General historically "Tothersiders",[1] modernly "Eastern Staters" [2]
Old Oct 24th 2014, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.yukiba.com/upl/server/upl...nia-Sydney.jpg

Its just the best isn't it. The sarcasm of it all.

Um hello, 'Smart State'!
Old Oct 28th 2014, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine State was much better
July 22, 2012

The Queensland government, under Campbell Newman's directions, has opted not to renew the trademark on Peter Beattie's marketing tag: SMART STATE, and in April 2012 the government ordered manufacturing of the Smart State numberplates be stopped.

In a statement, Premier Campbell Newman said his government had retired the trademarks "Queensland the Smart State" and the "Smart State" as part of cost-cutting.

The two "Smart State" trademarks would have cost $36,000 per month to maintain, and for something that very few people wanted, was a waste of government money.

In the 2011-12 financial year, Queenslanders only opted for 34,000 Smart State number plates (8.7%) out of a total of 388,000.

In 2012 there were still about 20,000 Smart State registration plates yet to be allocated to vehicles.

The Beattie government developed and trademarked the tags for marketing and communication material in 2003, and pushed the idea for several years but by September 2008 the trademarks were rarely used.

Mr Beattie still tweets using the handle SmartState1...
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCD......
Sunshine State was much better
July 22, 2012

The Queensland government, under Campbell Newman's directions, has opted not to renew the trademark on Peter Beattie's marketing tag: SMART STATE, and in April 2012 the government ordered manufacturing of the Smart State numberplates be stopped.

In a statement, Premier Campbell Newman said his government had retired the trademarks "Queensland the Smart State" and the "Smart State" as part of cost-cutting.

The two "Smart State" trademarks would have cost $36,000 per month to maintain, and for something that very few people wanted, was a waste of government money.

In the 2011-12 financial year, Queenslanders only opted for 34,000 Smart State number plates (8.7%) out of a total of 388,000.

In 2012 there were still about 20,000 Smart State registration plates yet to be allocated to vehicles.

The Beattie government developed and trademarked the tags for marketing and communication material in 2003, and pushed the idea for several years but by September 2008 the trademarks were rarely used.

Mr Beattie still tweets using the handle SmartState1...
Neither are true
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:20 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Well we in NSW aren't shifting. After work I like going for a swim at the beach, doing a spot of fishing, cycling around the park, having a beer watching the sunset, playing a quick 9 holes of golf ............. you know all those things that use daylight.

I'm just back from a few days in Qld and it was dark by 6.30.

We like our daylight savings and won't give it up!
Old Oct 29th 2014, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Ok...so I almost died this week. What the hell with this freakish weather? My aircon only goes to 16 wtf?
Old Oct 29th 2014, 12:46 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Ok...so I almost died this week. What the hell with this freakish weather? My aircon only goes to 16 wtf?
Since you nearly died, I'll refrain from smart arse remarks.

You poor sod, it's not easy to get used to.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Air con units don't normally go coller than 16ºc, besides you are asking it to do the impossible. Set it for 22 for example as it's not going to blow any colder air by being at 16!

Oh and just read original post... get a vespa!
Old Oct 29th 2014, 1:06 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Air con units don't normally go coller than 16ºc, besides you are asking it to do the impossible. Set it for 22 for example as it's not going to blow any colder air by being at 16!

Refrigerated air conditioning should definitely make your house cooler if set at 16, rather than than 22. Although I know that air conditioning techs tell you that 22 is an optimum temperature, or something like that!
Old Oct 29th 2014, 1:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You want it to go lower than 16? Why are you living in Brisbane, wouldn't you be better off in Sweden? Having your aircon that low is crazy, it'll only make the real temps/humidity outside seem beyond horrendous.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 2:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish

Old Oct 30th 2014, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Refrigerated air conditioning should definitely make your house cooler if set at 16, rather than than 22. Although I know that air conditioning techs tell you that 22 is an optimum temperature, or something like that!
I would put my air con (if I had any) to 22deg if I was trying to warm up!

But 16deg is extreme, never seen any unit go that low below.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.