Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane heat hell

Brisbane heat hell

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 1:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane heat hell

Originally Posted by Beoz
I've just been in Singapore. It was only 27 degs but you couldn't walk 100 metres without a bucket of water dripping from the forehead.

Not a great sight turning up to meet clients.
My sympathies. Scouse and I briefly discussed the idea of retiring in Bali - the positives were only a 3 hour flight to Perth and my family, very cheap living and my Bahasa Indonesia skills. Negatives won out though - neither of us could tolerate the high humidity, especially in the wet season. And - it's too far from the UK
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 1:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yep, the BOM observations will probably have the avg temp now around 25 and still only about 28 in february. All the blurb will read avg of 27/28 in summer.

BUT, its the intensity of the sun and the humidity that makes it feel 10 degrees hotter. Its rare the temps soar, but summer is just one long month after month muggy relentless heat day and night.

The heat will start to build as the rain gets more frequent, and it will get cooler again about a third of the way through April.

I never got used to it not the heat, not the humidity, and certainly not the UV. But we know people from Cairns and Darwin who just love the 'mild' summers here.
I honestly don't know how anyone from a mild/cool climate adjusts to the heat and humidity of some parts of Australia, although I know that plenty do. Scouse wasn't too bad when he was younger, but he dreads the burning Perth summers now. Despite being born here, so do I. Give me some of those grey skies and rain!
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 2:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I didn't know you were home for a while, Polly! Bet you're loving it and having lots of fun. Good timing, too!
Grey skies, showers and the odd gale! Absolute bliss, had to go into Asda to avoid the rain..... such hardship
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

My sympathies. Scouse and I briefly discussed the idea of retiring in Bali - the positives were only a 3 hour flight to Perth and my family, very cheap living and my Bahasa Indonesia skills. Negatives won out though - neither of us could tolerate the high humidity, especially in the wet season. And - it's too far from the UK
..... I might add the other following negatives. Its dirty, the beaches are black and full of rubbish, its full to the brim with bogans, in general Bali is a shithole. Sorry but I've never gelled with that place. I'll take Thailand any day.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 3:10 pm
Concierge

..... I might add the other following negatives. Its dirty, the beaches are black and full of rubbish, its full to the brim with bogans, in general Bali is a shithole. Sorry but I've never gelled with that place. I'll take Thailand any day.
Ah yes, but some more positives - the beaches on the east side are white sand, where we'd live wouldn't have a bogan (or tourist) in sight, and I'd have a maid to keep the place clean

It was only a very transitory thought, to be honest I've long since lost any desire to live my oldie years in a country that has a totally different culture/language/society to my own. Nice places to visit....
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 3:10 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Grey skies, showers and the odd gale! Absolute bliss, had to go into Asda to avoid the rain..... such hardship
I'm going a most unflattering shade of green here!
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, but some more positives - the beaches on the east side are white sand, where we'd live wouldn't have a bogan (or tourist) in sight, and I'd have a maid to keep the place clean

It was only a very transitory thought, to be honest I've long since lost any desire to live my oldie years in a country that has a totally different culture/language/society to my own. Nice places to visit....
Careful. Liverpool is the cultural capital of Europe. You might be in for a Bali-esk shock.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 3:53 pm
Concierge

Careful. Liverpool is the cultural capital of Europe. You might be in for a Bali-esk shock.
Ha! I know Liverpool very well and I've never been shocked there

Although now that you mention it, the taxi drivers are a breed apart. All quite mad.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 8:06 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

As Jimmy Tarbuck said (i think) when Liverpool was made city if culture...."nothing much has changed, they still nick the wheels off your car but rather than bricks, the car is up ln books"
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't know how anyone from a mild/cool climate adjusts to the heat and humidity of some parts of Australia, although I know that plenty do. Scouse wasn't too bad when he was younger, but he dreads the burning Perth summers now. Despite being born here, so do I. Give me some of those grey skies and rain!
When I first came out, didnt mind the heat, put on a brave face I think.

Now I absolutely cant stand it. I never sunbathe but have had a couple of nasty skin cancers cut off. The UV is that intense.

I love cool grey days, that is a livable temp! not 37C.

I know some people claim to love intense heat, ( SE Qld actually a mild climate for OZ! ) but why then are people so angry/aggressive in summer?. They dont even look comfy, buckets of sweat, exhausted, red faces, lobster skin. Melb drives me nuts in summer too, furnace blasts or those days of flies.

Heyand good luck in Liverpool, very cool place.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
When I first came out, didnt mind the heat, put on a brave face I think.

Now I absolutely cant stand it. I never sunbathe but have had a couple of nasty skin cancers cut off. The UV is that intense.

I love cool grey days, that is a livable temp! not 37C.

I know some people claim to love intense heat, ( SE Qld actually a mild climate for OZ! ) but why then are people so angry/aggressive in summer?. They dont even look comfy, buckets of sweat, exhausted, red faces, lobster skin. Melb drives me nuts in summer too, furnace blasts or those days of flies.

Heyand good luck in Liverpool, very cool place.

Melbourne sounds perfect for you Jad going off your post.
It was pretty warm here yesterday but today it's a cool grey day. I can't get over how much the weather changes here in such a short space of time. It's bonkers. One minute i'm in a summer dress, like yesterday and then today I have my jeans on.

I'll be honest, I'm a sun lover, I love it hot, although not stifling. I'm not keen on sunbathing but I could happily be on a beach all day, swimming, surfing, etc...
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Melbourne sounds perfect for you Jad going off your post.
It was pretty warm here yesterday but today it's a cool grey day. I can't get over how much the weather changes here in such a short space of time. It's bonkers. One minute i'm in a summer dress, like yesterday and then today I have my jeans on.

I'll be honest, I'm a sun lover, I love it hot, although not stifling. I'm not keen on sunbathing but I could happily be on a beach all day, swimming, surfing, etc...

Melbs weather does have the reputation of being extremely changeable. We spent one january in the same place, year one 4C at night the next 44C daytime.

We left 3 weeks before the massive bushfires went through that area

Up to 28C is fine with me, if there is shade. But temps go waay above that in OZ, and its hard to spend much time outside as the UV is simply too strong.

Looking forward to Melb, I can eventually drag out the winter clothing for a start, beats qld style anyday.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 7:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Forecast for next week is a possible 36 for Brisbane and up to 40 for Ipswich.

Good luck peeps
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Forecast for next week is a possible 36 for Brisbane and up to 40 for Ipswich.

Good luck peeps
Feels pretty cool right now in the evening and I don't have to work on the weekend. I've started leaving for work at 6.30 and am finding it much more bearable.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 10:16 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Feels pretty cool right now in the evening and I don't have to work on the weekend. I've started leaving for work at 6.30 and am finding it much more bearable.
That's good, rabble Watch yourself in those 40 degree days, I don't want to be reading a story about a mad Pom who was arrested while walking naked in Brisbane's CBD, holding a tree branch over his head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.