Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane heat hell

Brisbane heat hell

Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane heat hell

Ok so I am loving Logan so far but I am struggling with the heat, in particular the 20 min walk to work. I work in an office in the CBD so I am suited and booted when I leave the house but the time I arrive at work I am sweating like a rapist and feeling dreadfully uncomfortable and unpresentable. No doubt the expansive sweat patches in embarrassing (and intimate) places are raising more than the odd eye at work. How do you avoid this sweatiness? Even if I wore a thong I'd still be sweating like a faucet by the time I got into work.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane heat hell

Why not leave a little earlier and take a change of clothes?..or keep you work clothes "at work" freshen up when you get there and change?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, already? I know I'm a 100kms south of you but I'm still in jeans.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Ok so I am loving Logan so far but I am struggling with the heat, in particular the 20 min walk to work. I work in an office in the CBD so I am suited and booted when I leave the house but the time I arrive at work I am sweating like a rapist and feeling dreadfully uncomfortable and unpresentable. No doubt the expansive sweat patches in embarrassing (and intimate) places are raising more than the odd eye at work. How do you avoid this sweatiness? Even if I wore a thong I'd still be sweating like a faucet by the time I got into work.
Agree with a change of clothes - do you have shower facilities at work? If not, a quick swish in the hand basin - might want to lock the door if possible!

The new clinical strength deodorants are really good, you can get them in Coles, Woollies etc.

Can you catch a bus on hotter days?

Umm - I can't think of anything else, sorry!

Yes I can - natural fibre clothing - cotton, linen, these fabrics 'breathe', and anything synthetic that has been sweated into will pong. Re the sweat marks, they are less obvious on black or white clothing.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Oct 9th 2014 at 1:45 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, technically there is a shower at work but then I see all these sweatless babes striding infront of me and think there is some sort of secret to being cool? I intend to use the shower but it seems the cyclists have it fully booked.

The people at work tell me - inbetween my gasps for cool air - that I just need to acclimatise. Its not that I mind the heat but by God how can anyone not sweat at a slow paced walk?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Agree with a change of clothes - do you have shower facilities at work? If not, a quick swish in the hand basin - might want to lock the door if possible!

The new clinical strength deodorants are really good, you can get them in Coles, Woollies etc.

Can you catch a bus on hotter days?

Umm - I can't think of anything else, sorry!

Yes I can - natural fibre clothing - cotton, linen, these fabrics 'breathe', and anything synthetic that has been sweated into will pong. Re the sweat marks, they are less obvious on darker clothing, or white.
Good point! I upgraded my wardrobe yesterday to be all natural fibre and short sleeve. It helps for sure, but not enough.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:37 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, technically there is a shower at work but then I see all these sweatless babes striding infront of me and think there is some sort of secret to being cool? I intend to use the shower but it seems the cyclists have it fully booked.

The people at work tell me - inbetween my gasps for cool air - that I just need to acclimatise. Its not that I mind the heat but by God how can anyone not sweat at a slow paced walk?
Getting used to the climate certainly plays a part. Any excess weight and lack of general fitness will see you sweat more.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:41 pm
Concierge

Good point! I upgraded my wardrobe yesterday to be all natural fibre and short sleeve. It helps for sure, but not enough.
Yep, I don't know that it's possible to totally eliminate sweating. I'm used to the (dry) heat, being a Perthie, but our last trip to KL happened to fall at the beginning of a period of humidity and heat that even the locals were commenting on. 5 minutes and I was drenched, while Scouse strode along merrily, cool as a cucumber. Bastard!

A dicky thermostat courtesy of menopause doesn't help. Try carrying a sports bottle of icy cold water, and having frequent drinks as you walk. Cools you down somewhat.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Oct 9th 2014 at 1:44 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Then the secret is good mineral water..(not tap water!) drink plenty during the day and always carry a bottle or two with you. Whenever you think you need some then take a swig. In the beginning you tend to need the bathroom more but after a few days it stabilises and in general you can cope with the heat easier with less sweating. Avoid coffee and drink tea only in moderation. Stay off sweetened drinks apart from maybe some orange juice. Don't forget a decent hat that will shade your head/neck and eyes from the sun, preferably with a brim all-around. (military bush-hat type..preferably cotton and loose fitting). Good luck.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You'll probably acclimatise a bit, but the heat travelling into the city is a killer in the summer. One reason why a lot of people work long hours - go in earl, come home late and add the flexitime up. Means the trains are emptier and the walk is cooler. When I worked in the city a lor of people did shower at work, or have half a bath in the wash basin, and many people change their clothes there.
Sweatless babes? Probably hardly wearing any clothes.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, it is barely warmed up yet. I would just not do the walk, there must be a bus you can get in the morning and you can still walk home. When I am in Brisbane in the summer, I am staying in a hotel a ten minute walk away, but I still would leave pretty early, say 7am, when it is a bit cooler.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sweatless babes? some people just dont sweat, others sweat buckets, apparently sweating buckets is better for you, its your body cooling you down. I dont sweat and the heat in OZ makes me ILL. Hate it. I can drink 4L of water still dont sweat, just pee

Plus its not summer yet, the babes probably still think its winter, but there was a 35c this week in some parts of brisbane. Once summer arrives you will see and smell! plenty of sweaty people.

Industrial lab strength deodorant, leave the suit at work and change once there? ride you pushy in pretend your sweaty because you just did 20klm in lycra

OZ summer IMO is the biggest downside to living here and not just in Brisbane either. Bloody awful season. Watch that UV walking too, it will be high enough to be doing damage at 7am in summer.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

It'm still in jeans and long sleeve tshirts in Brisbane, but I did experience sitting in the car with sweaty teenage boy after a couple of games of volleyball last night and realised loads of deodorant season is on its way.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Although it has been warm for this time of year its going to get a lot hotter.

When I jump in the car at 6:30 at the moment its about 22C most days, later in summer it will hit about 29C at that time in the morning, on those days we don't venture far from the office aircon when in work clothing.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 10:13 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Logan does get a fair bit hotter than Brisbane and the coastal regions.

It gets even hotter as you go further west to Ipswich and beyond.....as said it has not really got that hot yet....it will get worse and more humid.....and the nights will also get a lot warmer....that can be pretty unpleasant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.