Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane or Adelaide ??

Wikiposts

Brisbane or Adelaide ??

Old May 15th 2004, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by silvervfr
Hi Tinaj, thanks for the reply.

caloundra does sound nice and thats the second time it's been recommended in this post! I looked it up on the internet and the whole coastline along there looks very nice.

How long have you lived out in Australia and how did you discover Caloundra?

I do work as a chef at the moment but would like to get out of the trade sometime in the future because of the hours.

I don't surpose the "Courier Mail" is on the internet as with some of the ohter papers is it?

Nick

We came out on a reccie visit and drove up from Sydney to Bundaberg stopping off along the way. Caloundra was the place we loved the most. as soon as we saw it we knew it was THE place for us.

If you can get a job up here it is a hard place to beat! The beaches are idyllic and the people are friendly and welcoming.
Prices have gone up a lot but you can still get reasonably priced houses and it is still booming for businesses etc.

There are so many different regions around you where you can live. The mountains, acreage plots, rainforest, canal / lakeside or live right by the sea. Enough for everyone, choosing between them is difficult as well!

Good luck with it all and I noticed ABC gave you the Courier address for jobs.
I shouldn't be saying this as too many people will start moving in
Old May 15th 2004, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough

We are in the same "boat" as Nick ie Adelaide or Brisbane, but my wfe is a nurse and would be looking for a nursing job. We are favouring Adelaide as we understand the climate to be a bit more temperate (ie not as hot and sticky in summer) and less prone to cyclones!!! However I think from what I have read the coastline in QLD is unbeatable.
We have not been to Oz so would appreciate views on this.
Old May 15th 2004, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by RAG62
We are in the same "boat" as Nick ie Adelaide or Brisbane, but my wfe is a nurse and would be looking for a nursing job. We are favouring Adelaide as we understand the climate to be a bit more temperate (ie not as hot and sticky in summer) and less prone to cyclones!!! However I think from what I have read the coastline in QLD is unbeatable.

It all depends on whether you want a temperate climate or one that has a hot Summer and a Colder Winter.

At the moment it was 25c here today ( Sun Coast) whilst in Adelaide it was only 19c. Adelaide still gets hot in the Summer, but is a lot cooler in the winter. A friend of mine has just moved up here from Adelaide partly because they got sick of the cold winters.

For us I would rather have a few hot months to get the perfect temperatures you get here from now until Summer Time. We lived through the heatwave this year and survived without any air con!

I would not worry about Cyclones I don't think there have been any around here that have caused serious damage for years.
Old May 15th 2004, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by wombat42
Read this about Adelaide, it might change your mind about living there:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...corpses_1.html
You're right it does clarify the issue for me - 5 years without a noteable crime...

This is positive news. Thank you.

Old May 15th 2004, 11:41 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I don,t what your problem is wombat,?? I assume you have never been to Adelaide, but hurry up and get here,YOUR BARRELS READY, :scared: .............. MM
Old May 16th 2004, 12:06 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by mr mover
I don,t what your problem is wombat,?? I assume you have never been to Adelaide, but hurry up and get here,YOUR BARRELS READY, :scared: .............. MM
Brisbane > Adelaide

I can give quite a few reasons why I think so, if anyone cares.
Old May 16th 2004, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Tinaj

When you say Adelaide is cold in winter I guess it depends what you are comparing it against. Living near and working in Manchester it can get a tad chilly in December to March ie freezing whereas ADelaide seems to bottom out at about 10C.
Anything above 30C each day and I start to get prickly!!

Glad to hear cyclones such an issue.
Old May 16th 2004, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

My my, Wombat, you're staring to sound like Mike Stanton

(didn't you post a link to the same website about Tasmanian murderers a few weeks ago!!)
Old May 16th 2004, 5:15 am
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Adelaide can be unbearable in summer. It's a very intense dry heat as opposed to the humidity of Queensland.

My good lady's family are in Adelaide and she's lived there for many years but she wants us to go to Brisbane. Adelaide is nice enough but it can get a bit dull after a while. She's never actually been to Brisbane but if it puts a few hundred miles between me and the in-laws so what!
Old May 16th 2004, 9:33 am

silvervfr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
We came out on a reccie visit and drove up from Sydney to Bundaberg stopping off along the way. Caloundra was the place we loved the most. as soon as we saw it we knew it was THE place for us.

If you can get a job up here it is a hard place to beat! The beaches are idyllic and the people are friendly and welcoming.
Prices have gone up a lot but you can still get reasonably priced houses and it is still booming for businesses etc.

There are so many different regions around you where you can live. The mountains, acreage plots, rainforest, canal / lakeside or live right by the sea. Enough for everyone, choosing between them is difficult as well!

Good luck with it all and I noticed ABC gave you the Courier address for jobs.
I shouldn't be saying this as too many people will start moving in
Sounds really nice Tinaj, looks like the kind of place that isn't hard to sell! We could do with another holiday to look into this.

Nick
Old May 16th 2004, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Kentish Man
Adelaide can be unbearable in summer. It's a very intense dry heat as opposed to the humidity of Queensland.

My good lady's family are in Adelaide and she's lived there for many years but she wants us to go to Brisbane. Adelaide is nice enough but it can get a bit dull after a while. She's never actually been to Brisbane but if it puts a few hundred miles between me and the in-laws so what!
Thanks Kentish Man,
Most comments favour Brisbane over Adelaide. I did wonder whether the coastal breezes make life more bearable in QLD than SA. Today in the UK it was about 26C which makes a nce change but not sure I would want to be in the 30+C every day.

When you say Adelaide is dull - presume you mean activity wise rather than weather. In what way is it a dull place?
Old May 16th 2004, 10:03 am
wombat42

Originally posted by mr mover
l have lived in Adelaide for 16 years and have seen some very
strange things there, such as the odd dead body floating in the river Torrens. l was only pointing out the facts that for a small
city there are more serial killlings per capita then any other city in the world probably. There are few job opportunities there which is why most people with any skills or intelligence, such as myself
leave the state, also to advoid ending up in a barrel of acid in a bank vault in some outback town.

Last edited by wombat42; May 16th 2004 at 10:12 am.

Old May 16th 2004, 10:44 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks Kentish Man,
Most comments favour Brisbane over Adelaide. I did wonder whether the coastal breezes make life more bearable in QLD than SA. Today in the UK it was about 26C which makes a nce change but not sure I would want to be in the 30+C every day.
The coastal breezes in Brisbane do keep the area cooler, but take care which part of Brisbane you are looking at .

The east side, nearer the water, obviously gets the breezes, but if you go west then it will be different.

In the West, in the summer, it can get up to 10C hotter than on the coast, and in the winter it can be even colder in the West. I recall recently when it was 4C or 6C in Ipswich one night, when it was 10C where I am.

For some reason 30C temps are not that Hot, or at least don't feel it, when compared to the same temp in the UK.

Now that the daytime temps have dropped to 24C here, most people are changing from summer clothes to winter clothes. (remember though, winter clothes here are not the same as winter clothes in UK)

My own daughter asked me to put the car heater on this morning, whilst taking her to school ! But then it is only 18C

I guarantee one thing, the weather will confuse you !

Old May 16th 2004, 10:53 am
Location.. in my office

cadabra is an unknown quantity at this point

l have lived in Adelaide for 16 years and have seen some very
strange things there, such as the odd dead body floating in the river Torrens. l was only pointing out the facts that for a small
city there are more serial killlings per capita then any other city in the world probably. There are few job opportunities there which is why most people with any skills or intelligence, such as myself
leave the state, also to advoid ending up in a barrel of acid in a bank vault in some outback town.

And what are you?..a bloody underaker?...or maybe a spoof writer.
Old May 16th 2004, 12:34 pm
wombat42

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
My my, Wombat, you're staring to sound like Mike Stanton

(didn't you post a link to the same website about Tasmanian murderers a few weeks ago!!)
Yes l did, here is the link:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notoriou...t/index_1.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.