Reload this Page >

Brisbane or Adelaide ??

Wikiposts

Brisbane or Adelaide ??

Old May 15th 2004, 5:58 am

silvervfr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane or Adelaide ??

Can you guys help me out here please.

We have received our visas recently and up untill the last couple of weeks have been planning on heading to Adelaide as we have some family down there and liked the place on our visit a couple of yearss ago. I have also recently spent two weeks in Adelaide looking at work, housing and schools and all looks good enough.

But when I do an internet search into Chefs jobs, Brisbane always comes up with four or five times as many jobs then Adelaide! Plus everyone I know that has been to Brisbane loves the place.

It seems to have everything us poms are hoping for from our move. It is near the beaches. The Sunshine coast and Gold coast are only about an hour away but the problem for me and my family is that we have never visited the area!

What do you guys think?

We have some friends who live in Jindalee, what is this area like?

What areas are most popular for work and lifestyle?

Any view points appreciated

Nick
Old May 15th 2004, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Nick

We have friends who have stayed in every major city in Oz and have ended up in Caloundra which is about 45 mins drive North of Brisbane. They love it. The climate is good and there are plenty of jobs. Ooohhh don't forget Australia Zoo!!!!!

We were heading that way ourselves but have family in Adelaide like you. In the end we decided we'd be better off near my brother and all our mates out in Adelaide, rather than relying on one set of friends in Brissie. So our plan is Adelaide for 2 years and then decide if we want to move on.

The question is - are you the sort of people who could settle somewhere if you don't know anyone???????

Jo
Old May 15th 2004, 8:36 am

Hi Jo I've just seen that you live "just down the road Cobber!" We are in Northbourne.

You are probably right about having the support of relatives, I have just come back from Adelaide and we get on with them well. But I have this nagging thought that we would be better of at Brissie in the long term!!

I think our best course of action will probably be to go through Brisbane on the way through for a week or two then go onto Adelaide. This way we will have an idea of what Brisbane is like if we think Adelaide isn't working out for us!

Nick

P.S. How long untill you guys head out to Adelaide? And what area are you planning to live in?
Old May 15th 2004, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Can't help you decide but just wanted to say hello! We are off to Brisbane, not sure why really just feels right, never been to oz and know that we are taking a huge gamble but we are prepared to work hard and settle in to our new lifes!
best of luck with your decision
Rach, Mark and Chanelle (in Parkstone)
xx
Old May 15th 2004, 9:01 am

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Can't help you decide but just wanted to say hello! We are off to Brisbane, not sure why really just feels right, never been to oz and know that we are taking a huge gamble but we are prepared to work hard and settle in to our new lifes!
best of luck with your decision
Rach, Mark and Chanelle (in Parkstone)
xx

Another one in this area, there will be nobody left round these parts at this rate !!

How long untill you guys jump ship?

Nick
Old May 15th 2004, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by silvervfr
Another one in this area, there will be nobody left round these parts at this rate !!

How long untill you guys jump ship?

Nick
Seems that alot of people on the sunny south coast are going to Europe, NZ or Australia!

As i said we hope to go September depending on when the DIMIA ask for the bond money (sorted now!) and when our bungalow sells!
Have you always lived in Northbourne? i grew up on the West Cliff and deflected to Poole when i met my hubby!
kind regards
rach x
Old May 15th 2004, 9:22 am

Seems that alot of people on the sunny south coast are going to Europe, NZ or Australia!

As i said we hope to go September depending on when the DIMIA ask for the bond money (sorted now!) and when our bungalow sells!
Have you always lived in Northbourne? i grew up on the West Cliff and deflected to Poole when i met my hubby!
kind regards
rach x

Hi Rachel, we used to live in Winton but sold that in November to clear the mortage. This house we are in now is my Mothers and she is renting it cheap to us so it works out good for us.

My wife is from Motherwell, Scotland and I am from round these parts although i have lived in many different areas. We have three boys 11, 8 and 6.

We are planning on going out at the end of August/beginning of September.

Nick
Old May 15th 2004, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

We are hoping to get a Dorset meet going in July, would be nice to see you and the family, will let you know the details when they are arranged!!
great that you are living in rented so you can go at the drop of a hat!
chat soon
Rach x
Old May 15th 2004, 10:25 am
wombat42

Read this about Adelaide, it might change your mind about living there:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...corpses_1.html

Old May 15th 2004, 10:35 am

Originally posted by wombat42
Read this about Adelaide, it might change your mind about living there:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...corpses_1.html

Thanks for that Wombat42 !! I think?

I'm not going to let this kind of thing influence my decission though.

Nick
Old May 15th 2004, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We live in Caloundra, which is about 80k North of Brisbane. It is a fantastic place to live, but your main worry will be jobs. Thought there are lots of hotels and restaurants around here, so as a chef you wont find it as hard a some. The Courier Mail on Saturday has all the local jobs.

Brisbane and the surrounding areas have a lot to offer people at the moment, especially as they are booming. Lots of jobs are being created as people move to the areas interstate as well as from overseas.

We came out here not having any family or friends and have found it easy to make friends, as everyone is so friendly here!
Also as a lot of people have moved here from other areas they dont know anyone either.
Old May 15th 2004, 7:01 pm

Originally posted by tinaj
We live in Caloundra, which is about 80k North of Brisbane. It is a fantastic place to live, but your main worry will be jobs. Thought there are lots of hotels and restaurants around here, so as a chef you wont find it as hard a some. The Courier Mail on Saturday has all the local jobs.

Brisbane and the surrounding areas have a lot to offer people at the moment, especially as they are booming. Lots of jobs are being created as people move to the areas interstate as well as from overseas.

We came out here not having any family or friends and have found it easy to make friends, as everyone is so friendly here!
Also as a lot of people have moved here from other areas they dont know anyone either.

Hi Tinaj, thanks for the reply.

caloundra does sound nice and thats the second time it's been recommended in this post! I looked it up on the internet and the whole coastline along there looks very nice.

How long have you lived out in Australia and how did you discover Caloundra?

I do work as a chef at the moment but would like to get out of the trade sometime in the future because of the hours.

I don't surpose the "Courier Mail" is on the internet as with some of the ohter papers is it?

Nick
Old May 15th 2004, 7:07 pm

We are hoping to get a Dorset meet going in July, would be nice to see you and the family, will let you know the details when they are arranged!!
great that you are living in rented so you can go at the drop of a hat!
chat soon
Rach x

That would be great Rachel, we would be up for that. Please try and make it a Sunday as I work as a chef and usually work on Saturdays.

Thanks
Nick
Old May 15th 2004, 7:07 pm
ABCDiamond

A couple of QLD online newspapapers

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/

http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/

I've put a few others on here aswell: Online Newspapers

Old May 15th 2004, 7:15 pm

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
A couple of QLD online newspapapers

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/

http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/

I've put a few others on here aswell: Online Newspapers
Thanks alot for that ABCDiamond

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.