Brisbane??

Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Natural16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane??

Good Morning

I was hoping someone can please share some knowledge.
I lived in Perth (Fremantle) about 3 years ago for about 2 years - Loved Fremantle (small town) but not Perth in general (people / prices / distance form places etc) and will never move back there again. Back in the UK - missing the weather and live style I decided to move back again. Me, Partner and 5 month old baby. This time looking for somewhere more laid back - friendlier people - out of a city (but will travel there for work) allot of people has said Brisbane fits that criteria. My brother lives in Melbourne and says that is the place to be - but really looking for a quite laid back lifestyle and no cold weather (ha ha) Any advise on Brisbane vs Melbourne - thank you in advance
Old Apr 14th 2015, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane??

Originally Posted by Natural16
Good Morning

I lived in Perth (Fremantle) about 3 years ago for about 2 years - Loved Fremantle (small town) but not Perth in general (people / prices / distance form places etc) and will never move back there again. Back in the UK - missing the weather and live style I decided to move back again. Me, Partner and 5 month old baby. This time looking for somewhere more laid back - friendlier people - out of a city (but will travel there for work) allot of people has said Brisbane fits that criteria. My brother lives in Melbourne and says that is the place to be - but really looking for a quite laid back lifestyle and no cold weather (ha ha) Any advise on Brisbane vs Melbourne - thank you in advance
Sitting in Melbourne now on business. I'd live here if I had to. There's plenty to do. Brisbane bores me to tears. If I wanted laid back with access to the city I'd live in the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, or Wollongong in NSW. Not sure what their comparable places are around Melbourne. Geelong? That's a worry. What's wrong with Fremantle.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently in Brisbane and have lived in both Perth and Melbourne previously. Melbourne wins hands down without question every day of the week for me. While I think Brisbane is still a good spot, I do miss Melbourne.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning

Have friends who moved to Melbourne and they find it OK, but housing is still expensive and traffic crazy. I don't know if you can complain about the UK weather these days, because it's better than ever and you don't get much more sun in Melbourne compared to the South of England, but yes it's not as warm. Melbourne can still feel cold though and Perth has a completely different climate. When you say laid back lifestyle, what do you mean? Fremantle property prices are crazy and unless you're loaded, you won't have a/or much garden to enjoy the weather if that's important for you. If you want better weather, a more laid back lifestyle out of the city, why not consider Devon or Cornwall?
Old Apr 14th 2015, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Natural16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the responses. I had no problems at all with Fremantle - really loved it whilst I was there, I worked in Perth it just did not work for me - so won't go back to WA. Hence thinking of Brisbane / Melbourne.

Someone said the Cyclones in Brisbane is quite bad - is that true. I have been scratching around on realestate.com and some of the properties available for the price looks very appealing.

We are planning on selling in the UK and buying and starting fresh on that side. just scared We pick the wrong city. We first thought of moving to Cornwall / Devon - but it is the outdoor lifestyle that We we miss allot - and especially with a new baby now the idea of a swimming pool - being outside and bbq every night sounds just incredible. That was why we first thought of Brisbane because of the weather.

I was told that Brisbane City is smaller than Perth - is that correct ?

Last edited by Natural16; Apr 14th 2015 at 8:16 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

Brissy has been a bit damp this year so far. Bad floods in 2011 and some damaging hail a few months ago. Other than that the weather is nice and warm most of the time and occasionally too hot. Damaging weather is quite rare so don't let that put you off.

We live in the suburbs and have awesome neighbours and a great dog walking community so we are very happy. Very easy to commute into the city using public transport.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the responses. I had no problems at all with Fremantle - really loved it whilst I was there, I worked in Perth it just did not work for me - so won't go back to WA. Hence thinking of Brisbane / Melbourne.

Someone said the Cyclones in Brisbane is quite bad - is that true. I have been scratching around on realestate.com and some of the properties available for the price looks very appealing.

We are planning on selling in the UK and buying and starting fresh on that side. just scared We pick the wrong city. We first thought of moving to Cornwall / Devon - but it is the outdoor lifestyle that We we miss allot - and especially with a new baby now the idea of a swimming pool - being outside and bbq every night sounds just incredible. That was why we first thought of Brisbane because of the weather.

So why ask about Melbourne at all then? Sounds to me like your heart is set on Brisbane. And sounds to me like another person who bases their city of choice in the prices they see in domain.com.au or realestate.com.au.

I'll be blunt. How foolish. You get what you pay for hence I live in Sydney.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The closest brisbane has come to a cyclone in years was the tailend of Cyclone Tasha in 2010/11 which crossed the coast in the north of the state and the rainfall partly led to the Brisbane flooding. Brisbane is more affected by thunderstorms, hail, heavy rain....this has been a quiet season for storms though.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

There would be nothing stopping you having a pool in Cornwall and Devon and not everyone in Brisbane has or can afford a pool either. Even in the hottest climate you won't be having more bbq's, so I wouldn't rule out Cornwall or Devon. The climate in the South of England is actually ideal for outdoor activities and especially for a child.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Brisbane off and on for the past 19 years. I've visited Melbourne and have family there and always enjoy my visits, but for me, Brisbane's weather and laid back lifestyle wins hands down. For a family with young children, Brisbane has heaps to do and weather permits you to do most activities year round.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kim67
I have lived in Brisbane off and on for the past 19 years. I've visited Melbourne and have family there and always enjoy my visits, but for me, Brisbane's weather and laid back lifestyle wins hands down. For a family with young children, Brisbane has heaps to do and weather permits you to do most activities year round.
Except for 9 months of the year. Summer
Old Apr 15th 2015, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Except for 9 months of the year. Summer
I love summer - it'supposed to be Autumn here and today my kids and their mates have spent the day hanging out at Southbank swimming and picnicing and all my washing is fresh and dry - win win situation for me.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kim67
I love summer - it'supposed to be Autumn here and today my kids and their mates have spent the day hanging out at Southbank swimming and picnicing and all my washing is fresh and dry - win win situation for me.
Winter often comes early. Same in reverse for the UK. 22 degs today in London. But as per usual it will burst and the weather will be crap until June. Lets not beat around the bush. 9 months of humidity and 9 months of cold, both requiring a lot of indoor conditions is not fun. There are so many better happier mediums out there in lots of different parts of the world.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Winter often comes early. Same in reverse for the UK. 22 degs today in London. But as per usual it will burst and the weather will be crap until June. Lets not beat around the bush. 9 months of humidity and 9 months of cold, both requiring a lot of indoor conditions is not fun. There are so many better happier mediums out there in lots of different parts of the world.
Brits are obsessed with weather, but Brisbane certainly hasn't got a great climate if people need to wear sun screen all day or sit in the shade. Overall the UK climate isn't that bad and winters actually very short if you're not in the highlands. We're all different, but you can create your own lifestyle anywhere. OZ or UK, you can build a covered terrace anywhere if you want bbq's. IN OZ it's to escape the heat and in the UK to escape the rain but at least in the UK you can enjoy the sun, especially if you have a garden with all day sun. 22 today and good weather expected for the next 3 months by the way LOL. I see people complaining already
Old Apr 15th 2015, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Brits are obsessed with weather, but Brisbane certainly hasn't got a great climate if people need to wear sun screen all day or sit in the shade.
If you are in the sun all day, of course you wear sunscreen. How does this differ from California, Spain, Thailand, Britain (when the sun comes out)? The sun burns your skin. This is not a Brisbane thing, its a sun thing. The difference is in Brisbane you pay about a quarter of the price for sunscreen than you would in Britain. Who gives a toss about sunscreen. The problem with Brisbane is not the sun, its the humidity.

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Overall the UK climate isn't that bad and winters actually very short if you're not in the highlands. We're all different, but you can create your own lifestyle anywhere. OZ or UK, you can build a covered terrace anywhere if you want bbq's. IN OZ it's to escape the heat and in the UK to escape the rain but at least in the UK you can enjoy the sun, especially if you have a garden with all day sun. 22 today and good weather expected for the next 3 months by the way LOL. I see people complaining already
Next 3 months. OK. What happens on Friday when the clouds come back and the temps drop back to the mid teens? As I said, there's a fleeting week in April then its back to default settings until June. Southern England is cold. Anything that requires a jumper or more for 9 months of the year is cold and an unpleasant climate. And in reverse anywhere you can't walk 5 minutes without breaking into a sweat for 9 months of the year is unpleasant. And in Southern England, bizarrely you can get both at the same time.

Lets be honest here. The climate in Southern England and Brisbane are shite for the majority of the time. The difference being the type of climate, and the fact Southern England has a hell of a lot more going for it in other areas.

Last edited by Beoz; Apr 15th 2015 at 10:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.