Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bought my first flanno this weekend

Bought my first flanno this weekend

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:30 am
Merlot

Default Re: Bought my first flanno this weekend

Originally Posted by Badge
I'm a big believer in wearing what is good for you, not what is in fashion. I can't stand people wearing the latest in fashion just because everyone else is. You have to ask the question : if I wore this in 10 years time, would people laugh. Does it look good on me now?

An example. there was a time in the late 90s/early 00s when blokes wore their ''smart'' shirts out of their jeans - it just made them look shapeless and laddish. My wife hated that. She calls it the Bexleyheath look. Its not so bad now as the shirts are skinnier and cut that way.

One for the Sheilas. Girls are wearing big hair which frame their faces in a weird way, big sunnies which hide their faces. I hate that, it makes them all look very ordinary. I can't stand the current fashion, whats wrong with a well kept haircut or ponytail, or bob.

I can understand a need not to be SO unfashionable that you might not get asked back, or not get a job at an interview, but fashion, can't stand it

Badge
Me and you together, I must be the only female on the planet that HATES clothes shopping. I tend to whack a few bits in the trolley in George at Asda

I have just been out for dinner with some friends and the "trendy" place we went to I found a nightmare. Women in their 40's rather than looking trendy with style or class, had such things as their mid-drifts out and not a very taunt tummy area. Also these hair do's, smashing on 13 year olds but on a 47 year old, I think not.

Don't get me wrong, I think that everyone has the right to look like a clip if they wish, just don't think the rest of the world likes to look at it too.

In Teesside they try their best to look like something from the OK magazine (white trash Jordon) and get it way off the mark. This seems to be as they lack ability to have fun or hold an intelligent conversation.

Sorry to sound harsh as it is the 3 glasses of red talking.

M

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:49 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Merlot
Me and you together, I must be the only female on the planet that HATES clothes shopping. I tend to whack a few bits in the trolley in George at Asda

I have just been out for dinner with some friends and the "trendy" place we went to I found a nightmare. Women in their 40's rather than looking trendy with style or class, had such things as their mid-drifts out and not a very taunt tummy area. Also these hair do's, smashing on 13 year olds but on a 47 year old, I think not.

Don't get me wrong, I think that everyone has the right to look like a clip if they wish, just don't think the rest of the world likes to look at it too.

In Teesside they try their best to look like something from the OK magazine (white trash Jordon) and get it way off the mark. This seems to be as they lack ability to have fun or hold an intelligent conversation.

Sorry to sound harsh as it is the 3 glasses of red talking.

M
Know what you mean. I sometimes find that the more ordinary a person dresses, the more interesting they'll be. I can't take someone in their early 30s who is hyper fashionable that seriously. It's why, as much as I like some cafe culture and conversation I can never do the 'look'. I'm a jumper, rugby top, jeans man.

Badge

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:52 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Badge
Know what you mean. I sometimes find that the more ordinary a person dresses, the more interesting they'll be. I can't take someone in their early 30s who is hyper fashionable that seriously. It's why, as much as I like some cafe culture and conversation I can never do the 'look'. I'm a jumper, rugby top, jeans man.

Badge
Yep, I always look presentable but usually Target or Asda/Tesco's

You are so right, the more pre-occupied with how they look or what they drive or where they live a person is, the duller they usually are to me.

M

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:51 am
Badge

Yep, I always look presentable but usually Target or Asda/Tesco's

You are so right, the more pre-occupied with how they look or what they drive or where they live a person is, the duller they usually are to me.

M
A few months ago, I thought I would try out 'being fashionable'. I bought one of those skinny 70s shirts. I looked ridiculous. I've got quite broad shoulders and a bit of a chest, well proportionate to my waist, and I found the shoulders weren't wide enough for my shoulders, the shirt made my chest stuck out too much, and made nothing of my shoulders. I looked all chest, and no shoulders. (The bigger sizes were too long). Also, I couldn't take myself seriously, I felt like a fashion victim. So I went back to my normal shirts.

The current fashion trend seems to be designed to cover up fat bumps and lack of build - which is quite good if apparently we're all getting obese. When normal clothes were in fashion, say 10 years ago or so - I don't know - my mates were always having to buy baggy clothes to cover their skinny and fat bodies. They'd always say, "it's Ok for you, you have a chest!" (I was a fit bastard in those days.) Maybe I should give up and get fat!! There's no justice is there?!

lol

Badge

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by yamahaha
Hey, these 'Flanno' things are like those padded checked shirts you get out of camping shops for 9.99 each. Well cheaper in OZ, cant wait to move over there. Do they come in different tartans and colours?

Dont know about thongs though, I dont think Ill look good with a checked shirst and a thong, would probably need to get my arse waxed first. :scared:
yes - I can confirm that they come in many colours. So you can have one for every day of the week. I'm feeling a little ripped off now....I'm sure we spent at least $11 on them - at the time I thought that was incredibly cheap.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

M
Oh and me! Ive got a few 'classic' items and still wear them - especially work stuff - years later. I find it hard to wear stuff out.. It amazes me not only do people like clothes shopping they feel they have a need to do it. Trouble is I looked at the photos of the Sydney Meets and I was wearing the same stuff as the time before! so far no-ones noticed
Whoops
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:38 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Rosie n family
Oh and me! Ive got a few 'classic' items and still wear them - especially work stuff - years later. I find it hard to wear stuff out.. It amazes me not only do people like clothes shopping they feel they have a need to do it. Trouble is I looked at the photos of the Sydney Meets and I was wearing the same stuff as the time before! so far no-ones noticed
Whoops
Did laugh at that, I have been trying to put 25 years of photo's into albums and I seem to have a running wardrobe that turns up year in year out!

M