Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Border Security TV show

Border Security TV show

Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:23 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Border Security TV show

do you watch this? i'm getting addicted to it. and there's the UK version Border Force and also the Canadian Border Security version.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:26 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Border Security TV show

Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:27 am
Daffyd Duck

Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:36 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I can how a thorough well-oiled pvc-clad finger search could appeal to you but no, I don't watch it.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:57 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha ha ha ha gotcha illegal immigrant working. Off back where you came from and smile for moron tv. Lets all feel smug now.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:12 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Ha ha ha ha gotcha illegal immigrant working. Off back where you came from and smile for moron tv. Lets all feel smug now.
I've watched it a few times, my most lasting impression was why, when people sign the card saying they're carrying no food, and it's then discovered that their suitcases are full of dried snake, pickled dog and eye of newt, they get a $100 fine. What's all that about? Australia has such strict laws to protect the environment and food industry, which I applaud, but the consequences of knowingly breaking these laws seem laughable.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

haha that's what gets me cross- they get the most piffling fines on the basis that they suddenly don't understand what's being said to them! they don't get that what they intend to eat is "food"? my

There was a new one on last night about the AFP...I find it interesting anyway - it makes a change from the endless cookery programmes !
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:29 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campervanfan
haha that's what gets me cross- they get the most piffling fines on the basis that they suddenly don't understand what's being said to them! they don't get that what they intend to eat is "food"? my

There was a new one on last night about the AFP...I find it interesting anyway - it makes a change from the endless cookery programmes !
Yes - Foxtel's shite lately! I spend more time reading and lollygagging on the 'net these days
Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

oh I'm still in the Uk but from what I've seen of Aus TV it's as bad as here & the ads are even worse ! Don't have Sky at home either, but I gather Foxtel's your version?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:56 pm
Concierge

oh I'm still in the Uk but from what I've seen of Aus TV it's as bad as here & the ads are even worse ! Don't have Sky at home either, but I gather Foxtel's your version?
That's right campervan - about 200 channels and nothing worth watching! Tend to stick to the UK channels, mainly repeats of Midsommer Murders, Taggart, Rebus etc, plus those cooking shows, travel and home makeovers. My husband's from Liverpool and we go back to visit every year - I actually get a laugh out of some of the freeview telly there!

Ps, when you say you're still in the UK, are you planning to emigrate to Oz? Bill (husband) and I want to move to Liverpool, will be a couple of years though until we're sorted enough to do it.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:10 pm
Daffyd Duck

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I've watched it a few times, my most lasting impression was why, when people sign the card saying they're carrying no food, and it's then discovered that their suitcases are full of dried snake, pickled dog and eye of newt, they get a $100 fine. What's all that about? Australia has such strict laws to protect the environment and food industry, which I applaud, but the consequences of knowingly breaking these laws seem laughable.
It's usually a $110 or $220 fine (not sure why the extra $10 or $20 - is that GST?).

i think the penalty is sufficient to give them a lesson. if there's something serious like illegal items they can be arrested.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:33 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by commonwealth
It's usually a $110 or $220 fine (not sure why the extra $10 or $20 - is that GST?).

i think the penalty is sufficient to give them a lesson. if there's something serious like illegal items they can be arrested.
Normally I'd agree with a token penalty for infringements, but not on this occasion. The info regarding the rules on bringing in food is clear, available in different languages, and is signed by the person entering Australia.

Bloody hell, my nephew copped a $75 fine for his backpack being 1kg overweight! I know that's the airlines, not immigration, but still.....

If Customs are so slack, I might try bringing a couple of cartons of ciggies in next time. What's the bet I'll get the book thrown at me - can't be cheating the Oz government out of a bit of extra tax, but ok to bring stuff in that could threaten our crops and livestock.

Pish I say, PISH!!!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That's right campervan - about 200 channels and nothing worth watching! Tend to stick to the UK channels, mainly repeats of Midsommer Murders, Taggart, Rebus etc, plus those cooking shows, travel and home makeovers. My husband's from Liverpool and we go back to visit every year - I actually get a laugh out of some of the freeview telly there!

Ps, when you say you're still in the UK, are you planning to emigrate to Oz? Bill (husband) and I want to move to Liverpool, will be a couple of years though until we're sorted enough to do it.
I'm applying for 143- taking my son to join my daughter, just cracking on with it now. House on the market etc this week after the decorating's finished! It's freezing & has been since October but just done an afternoon in the garden anyway tidying the hedging ready for its growth spurt when we suddenly spring into Spring next week you certainly aren't coming back because you miss our winters are you ?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by commonwealth

Thing is, it often is illegal stuff like rooted plants & Bird's Nest & all sorts of weird & wonderful dried creatures- I got a total dressing-down (I'm being polite here) cos I forgot to remove a carton of juice from my bag; definitely felt like I was being singled out for daring to understand English ! The guy was actually very unpleasant to me, good job I was in holiday mood
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:29 pm
Concierge

I'm applying for 143- taking my son to join my daughter, just cracking on with it now. House on the market etc this week after the decorating's finished! It's freezing & has been since October but just done an afternoon in the garden anyway tidying the hedging ready for its growth spurt when we suddenly spring into Spring next week you certainly aren't coming back because you miss our winters are you ?
How exciting for you!! Lot of work though - you'll have to have a holiday when you get here I haven't experienced a UK winter yet, the latest in the year we've stayed is November and I remember running back to our holiday rental after a night out in Liverpool One, laughing at the rain falling on me because it was like slivers of ice. That could have been the wine making me laugh though I'm well and truly 'over' Perth's extended, boiling hot summers and I've always been a winter person, so hopefully I'll be able to adjust ok

I'll follow your journey with interest, good luck with the decorating and packing!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.