Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

birthday cakes in Oz

birthday cakes in Oz

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:42 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: birthday cakes in Oz

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I used to make a great ice cream cake.

Crush chocolate biscuits with a little bit of melted butter. Put it in the bottom of a springform pan and pat it down. Bake at 180 for about 10 minutes. Cool completely.

In a large bowl mix chocolate chip ice cream until you can stir it with a large wooden spoon (partly frozen, but not hard). Put a layer of ice cream about 1" thick on top of the cookie base. In another bowl melt about 1/2 cup peanut butter in the microwave. With a large spoon drizzle 1/2 of the melted peanut butter over the layer of ice cream. Put another layer of ice cream then another drizzle of peanut butter. Top with chocolate syrup and freeze.

When you go to serve it you can just take the outer rim off the pan and cut like a regular cake. Alternately you can make it in a pie dish and serve it like pie.
Reminds me a little of the Dairy Queen cakes in Canada, except they don't have peanut butter (although it would be great if they did!).

We had two birthday's over the Christmas break. For my birthday we ordered an ice cream cake from Wendy's. It was pretty good although I prefer the Dairy Queen ones in Canada. The Wendy's cake had a small chocolate cake base, followed by plain chocolate ice cream and chocolate topping.

For my daughters cake we went to the Cheescake Shop. She wanted a white cake with pink girly icing topped with strawberries (also had a whipped filling). It was really, really good. Unfortunately my daughter HATES cake and generally won't touch the stuff. She did try one bite and promptly spit it back out. She thought the cake was beautiful though, and the rest of us loved it.

I have no idea how I managed to have a child that does not like most sweets!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I love the Baskin Robbins Ice cream cakes. I even bought one for me friends wedding
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:44 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I love the Baskin Robbins Ice cream cakes. I even bought one for me friends wedding
Oh yah... I forgot about them. I haven't seen one yet in Brisbane, but I saw one up in Cairns. Now I'll have to figure out where they are here.

We used to get the Turtle Pie, I think that's what it's called.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:42 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
There's a gap in the market here for reasonably priced and readily available children's cakes like the one's you can get in Asda etc.
Sounds like I should start making birthday cakes for a living again, maybe? C x
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

cyrused is an unknown quantity at this point

Baskin and Robbins do lovely Ice Cream cake, and if you dont like that you could always go to the Cheesecake shop as they do really nice cakes there too, hope that this helps
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I used to make a great ice cream cake.

Crush chocolate biscuits with a little bit of melted butter. Put it in the bottom of a springform pan and pat it down. Bake at 180 for about 10 minutes. Cool completely.

In a large bowl mix chocolate chip ice cream until you can stir it with a large wooden spoon (partly frozen, but not hard). Put a layer of ice cream about 1" thick on top of the cookie base. In another bowl melt about 1/2 cup peanut butter in the microwave. With a large spoon drizzle 1/2 of the melted peanut butter over the layer of ice cream. Put another layer of ice cream then another drizzle of peanut butter. Top with chocolate syrup and freeze.

When you go to serve it you can just take the outer rim off the pan and cut like a regular cake. Alternately you can make it in a pie dish and serve it like pie.
Sounds absolutely YUM! Think I'll be making that for my daughter's birthday in a few weeks - thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Oh yah... I forgot about them. I haven't seen one yet in Brisbane, but I saw one up in Cairns. Now I'll have to figure out where they are here.

We used to get the Turtle Pie, I think that's what it's called.
There's one at the Hyperdome i Logan.