British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   birthday cakes in Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/birthday-cakes-oz-503134/)

Mumfords Jan 3rd 2008 2:28 am

birthday cakes in Oz

hiya, as i'm no good at making cakes:unsure: is there places you can get already made birthday cakes from for kids

Ann

asher Jan 3rd 2008 2:36 am

Re: birthday cakes in Oz

Originally Posted by Mumfords (Post 5732159)
hiya, as i'm no good at making cakes:unsure: is there places you can get already made birthday cakes from for kids

Ann

I have seen people collecting them from the local bakers not sure if big supermarkets do as I haven't looked for that yet!

good luck babe:thumbsup:

Mrs Jackaroo Jan 3rd 2008 2:55 am

Ann

Woolies do them although I dont find them very tasty!

Michels seem to be pretty good though.

moneypenny20 Jan 3rd 2008 2:55 am

Go to Wendy's or Cold Rock and have an icecream cake made up - much much better:thumbsup:

Samuel Spaniel Jan 3rd 2008 3:17 am

Depending on what kind of cake you are after, Michelle's Patisserie in Whitfords do some lovely cakes and also Wendy's do a very nice chocolate ice cream cake:o

Glasgowlass Jan 3rd 2008 3:25 am

Ann

There's a gap in the market here for reasonably priced and readily available children's cakes like the one's you can get in Asda etc.

Mumfords Jan 3rd 2008 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass (Post 5732335)
There's a gap in the market here for reasonably priced and readily available children's cakes like the one's you can get in Asda etc.

yes there is......but like the sound of the ice cream cakes kids will love them

Glasgowlass Jan 3rd 2008 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Mumfords (Post 5732344)
yes there is......but like the sound of the ice cream cakes kids will love them

Yes they're ideal for the hot weather:)

Mumfords Jan 3rd 2008 3:32 am

:curse::curse:

good thinking:unsure:

rosscov1970 Jan 3rd 2008 3:43 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5732235)
Go to Wendy's or Cold Rock and have an icecream cake made up - much much better:thumbsup:

We make our own, cheap and easy version of the Cold Rock ice-cream cake. Just line a bowl with cling film/glad wrap, making sure you have enough hanging over the edges to cover the finished cake. Then lob in your favourite ice-cream, bashed up choccies, lollies/sweets etc. Pack it all down in layers, or higgledy-piggledy, as you like. Then fold cling film back over to cover the cake and stick it in the freezer until needed. Kids love making them and I like eating them.:)

Mumfords Jan 3rd 2008 3:46 am

Originally Posted by rosscov1970 (Post 5732381)
We make our own, cheap and easy version of the Cold Rock ice-cream cake. Just line a bowl with cling film/glad wrap, making sure you have enough hanging over the edges to cover the finished cake. Then lob in your favourite ice-cream, bashed up choccies, lollies/sweets etc. Pack it all down in layers, or higgledy-piggledy, as you like. Then fold cling film back over to cover the cake and stick it in the freezer until needed. Kids love making them and I like eating them.:)

thanks that sounds like my sort of baking:p
give the kids something to do aswell

rosscov1970 Jan 3rd 2008 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Mumfords (Post 5732387)
thanks that sounds like my sort of baking:p
give the kids something to do aswell

yeah, no sweating your arse off over a hot stove, no mess and no dread that you're going to stuff it up and have to leg it down the shops, 5 minutes before the party starts. (a small window into my world.;))

eddie007 Jan 3rd 2008 3:56 am

appropriate number of candles and a plastic Happy Birthday Sign stuck on childs prefered Cheesecake shop cake... guarentees great cake and cheaper than a bespoke barbie castle every time!:thumbsup:

Dorothy Jan 3rd 2008 4:12 am

I used to make a great ice cream cake.

Crush chocolate biscuits with a little bit of melted butter. Put it in the bottom of a springform pan and pat it down. Bake at 180 for about 10 minutes. Cool completely.

In a large bowl mix chocolate chip ice cream until you can stir it with a large wooden spoon (partly frozen, but not hard). Put a layer of ice cream about 1" thick on top of the cookie base. In another bowl melt about 1/2 cup peanut butter in the microwave. With a large spoon drizzle 1/2 of the melted peanut butter over the layer of ice cream. Put another layer of ice cream then another drizzle of peanut butter. Top with chocolate syrup and freeze.

When you go to serve it you can just take the outer rim off the pan and cut like a regular cake. Alternately you can make it in a pie dish and serve it like pie.

northernbird Jan 3rd 2008 4:34 am

Ann

I have had michels ones and they are nice. If you want something fancy for a special birthday I can recommend www.caketinznthingz.com.au in Balcatta. Sugar and Spice on Lakeside Dr in Joondalup also do them.