Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wanted down under your thoughts on the perth show etc

wanted down under your thoughts on the perth show etc

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default wanted down under your thoughts on the perth show etc

Well folks what did you think of the wanted down under in perth i recorded it and just watched it and thought it was good,i once i get my visa through will need to think where i head.
I am drawn to two states w.a. or qld.

But like the couple on the show maybe too laid back,well really that does not bother me,just worried that after living there for a while maybe get bored and say why did i go there.
Has anyone who went to w.a. thought the same or say to themselves why did they pick w.a.?
The best about me heading to w.a. would be the line of work i am in and my skills,with me being in the oil and gas industry and being in the metal and construction industry i think perth would be the ideal place for work.

But would it be the ideal place to live,i have been all over oz and both stayed in qld and perth for 3 months so know what both are like,i want to go where work is good and plenty of it,but also be happy on where i pick.

That couple liked it also but thought sydney or melbourne is better for them,understand if they are used to london,im just from a small town in scotland so city life is not something i am used to or the fast pace of life if you know what i mean.

Its going to be hard for me when the time comes which to pick,qld is ideally the place,but i worry there is not enough work around or less of it,and maybe ending over there i might need to travel far enough for work in my job as in perth?what would be the point of that traveling to perth for work when one could lfe there?I suppose best of both worlds work in perth but live where i maybe wanted.

Anyway look forward to seeing the other shows see what they say,but i suppose the best options are to try them out for real,i have already been there and done that as was all over oz in 2004 and have a feel for the whole place but still have no idea.

What made others pick the place they ended up in,already family there,more work or just the place there prefered and did not think about the work options.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: wanted down under your thoughts on the perth show etc

Originally Posted by brian.w View Post
Well folks what did you think of the wanted down under in perth i recorded it and just watched it and thought it was good,i once i get my visa through will need to think where i head.

But like the couple on the show maybe too laid back,well really that does not bother me,just worried that after living there for a while maybe get bored and say why did i go there.
Has anyone who went to w.a. thought the same or say to themselves why did they pick w.a.?
The best about me heading to w.a. would be the line of work i am in and my skills,with me being in the oil and gas industry and being in the metal and construction industry i think perth would be the ideal place for work.

But would it be the ideal place to live,i have been all over oz and both stayed in qld and perth for 3 months so know what both are like,i want to go where work is good and plenty of it,but also be happy on where i pick.

That couple liked it also but thought sydney or melbourne is better for them,understand if they are used to london,im just from a small town in scotland so city life is not something i am used to or the fast pace of life if you know what i mean.

Its going to be hard for me when the time comes which to pick,qld is ideally the place,but i worry there is not enough work around or less of it,and maybe ending over there i might need to travel far enough for work in my job as in perth?what would be the point of that traveling to perth for work when one could lfe there?I suppose best of both worlds work in perth but live where i maybe wanted.

Anyway look forward to seeing the other shows see what they say,but i suppose the best options are to try them out for real,i have already been there and done that as was all over oz in 2004 and have a feel for the whole place but still have no idea.

What made others pick the place they ended up in,already family there,more work or just the place there prefered and did not think about the work options.
i just watched the show too and i can see how it might be too laid back for someone used to a london lifestlye, but at the end of the day i thought that is what they were trying to get away from. I was quite shocked at the house prices oif the ones they were shown.

I am also considering either WA or QLD but I am thinking i would rather not be in one of the major cities as I have always been one for smaller towns. As a nurse i don't think this will be a probnlem for me in either state but not sure about hubby finding work but he will do anything.

I'm looking forward to watching some of the ones on other cities, I quite fancy cairns myself or one of the other regional QLD towns
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by suzanne7575 View Post
i just watched the show too and i can see how it might be too laid back for someone used to a london lifestlye, but at the end of the day i thought that is what they were trying to get away from. I was quite shocked at the house prices oif the ones they were shown.

I am also considering either WA or QLD but I am thinking i would rather not be in one of the major cities as I have always been one for smaller towns. As a nurse i don't think this will be a probnlem for me in either state but not sure about hubby finding work but he will do anything.

I'm looking forward to watching some of the ones on other cities, I quite fancy cairns myself or one of the other regional QLD towns
I enjoyed the show, and did really show you how much the house prices have changed quite worrying, without job security
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

I couldnt quite got over that gorgeous surfer bloke (the autralian they interviewed about how he felt with the pom invasion) phwaor.

The pace of life is sooo appealing, my god I will so not miss the 'buzz' - must be getting old.

at the house prices though, when we first started looking at oz we looked at perth, they were so much cheaper than here, now it is about the same, although you do get more property for your pennies.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice

Hi guys,
Watched it this morning in bed with a tear in my eye wacthing the family videos and hugging my two kids. I thought they were going to stay for family but if they can do it so can we!
Told oh that i would record it for him and it didnt record!!! I'm in trouble now, does anyone know if this is an ongoing show about different areas of oz or is it on again so i can record it for him?
We are headed to the gold coast so would love to see that one if possible!
Claire.x
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gazclaire View Post
Hi guys,
Watched it this morning in bed with a tear in my eye wacthing the family videos and hugging my two kids. I thought they were going to stay for family but if they can do it so can we!
Told oh that i would record it for him and it didnt record!!! I'm in trouble now, does anyone know if this is an ongoing show about different areas of oz or is it on again so i can record it for him?
We are headed to the gold coast so would love to see that one if possible!
Claire.x
anyone know how you apply to go on the show???????
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure of the link but if you go to the bbc website you can watch it on there
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ukdarren22 View Post
Not sure of the link but if you go to the bbc website you can watch it on there

Could you provide a link please? I can't find it on the BBC site.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I would think that you would have ZERO problems finding work in Perth with your skill set - more a case of 'which job do I take ?'. The only fly in the ointment would be if you have trade skills [e.g. Certified Welder] that need new licences.

There are a number of multi-billion dollar gas and oil projects on the go at the moment.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 View Post
I would think that you would have ZERO problems finding work in Perth with your skill set - more a case of 'which job do I take ?'. The only fly in the ointment would be if you have trade skills [e.g. Certified Welder] that need new licences.

There are a number of multi-billion dollar gas and oil projects on the go at the moment.
I know i would not find it a problem getting work in perth with my skills,its just if its a place i would like to live,yes work is important and plenty of work,but so is being in a place i will like and enjoy and not get bored off say a few years down the line.
When i was traveling in 2004 i kept away from work as long as i could as wanted to see as much as oz as possible and do as much and i did,but it came a time when my funds where starting to run out,yes i was also paying for my home while i was over there and i did not let it out,so probably a little harder for me.
But when i seen this job advertised in perth i thought i apply online and i was in qld,i think cairns at the time far from perth and far from ready to go to perth,i asked employer about the job and other stuff i needed to know,explained my situation and he said no worries.
Three and a half months later,i was heading to w.a. by car from now melbourne,called the guy and asked if still interested i still got the same job,try doing that in the uk,job would probably be completed by then.

I dont have any worries about work in perth or in w.a. its just if the place i want to live,i did like it and enjoy it the 3+ months i was there,but its also so isolated from the rest of oz,i just wish i knew where to head.

I suppose i will need to do my work for a while in oz to make some good money and get on my feet,but to be honest would be great to give it all up one day and do something different,more laid back or maybe work for myself,but i suppose i will do what i do for years to come.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice

Just found this site, not sure if any good but its a start!
www.gettingdownunder.com

scroll down to the wanted down under section and click on the bbc wanted down under section of the yellow highlighted link at the bottom and it will bring you to a application information for a second series!
Hope that helps.
Claire.x
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know i would not find it a problem getting work in perth with my skills,its just if its a place i would like to live,yes work is important and plenty of work,but so is being in a place i will like and enjoy and not get bored off say a few years down the line.
When i was traveling in 2004 i kept away from work as long as i could as wanted to see as much as oz as possible and do as much and i did,but it came a time when my funds where starting to run out,yes i was also paying for my home while i was over there and i did not let it out,so probably a little harder for me.
But when i seen this job advertised in perth i thought i apply online and i was in qld,i think cairns at the time far from perth and far from ready to go to perth,i asked employer about the job and other stuff i needed to know,explained my situation and he said no worries.
Three and a half months later,i was heading to w.a. by car from now melbourne,called the guy and asked if still interested i still got the same job,try doing that in the uk,job would probably be completed by then.

I dont have any worries about work in perth or in w.a. its just if the place i want to live,i did like it and enjoy it the 3+ months i was there,but its also so isolated from the rest of oz,i just wish i knew where to head.

I suppose i will need to do my work for a while in oz to make some good money and get on my feet,but to be honest would be great to give it all up one day and do something different,more laid back or maybe work for myself,but i suppose i will do what i do for years to come.
Cant you start there as you know work is good, make a good name for yourself, add a oz company to your c.v and get experience of the way they do things, then move on or even get a transfer to another location with some cash in the bank!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Watched half of it at lunchtime and it just reiterated why we want to go, the only thing that worries me about the move is jumping from a £72k mortgage to £200k+ but we love the houses out there so thats a sacrifice we will have to make to get our dream.

Just need the blinkin' visa now!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gonnago View Post
I couldnt quite got over that gorgeous surfer bloke (the autralian they interviewed about how he felt with the pom invasion) phwaor.

The pace of life is sooo appealing, my god I will so not miss the 'buzz' - must be getting old.

at the house prices though, when we first started looking at oz we looked at perth, they were so much cheaper than here, now it is about the same, although you do get more property for your pennies.
I'm with you there chic!!

do these people get their flights etc paid for on this programme?

If so i think they were in for a freebie to check out perth as they just wanted to rule it out!!

could be wrong........................but that doesn't happen very often

sam
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

I watched it to. I live in in the suburbs of London and am so looking forward to the relaxed way of life that Perth can give!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.