Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beware Future Oz bound !!!

Beware Future Oz bound !!!

Old Oct 10th 2007, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware Future Oz bound !!!

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think people think they are entitled to spend as new migrants. They come for an easier life and then make it harder.

We are definitely better off here because we've kept to our guns and have never forgotten the gameplan which is to not get suckered in to consumerism.

And I earn more, and spend less. Our mortgage is a fraction - just 22pc of one income.
Spot on badge, I'm champing at the bit to have a bit of a splurge, everytime I get to that stage, something cloudy turns up. This time it's Aussie posts wage cutbucks means I wont be able to justify working nightshift anymore.

Third time I've been made redundant (more or less this time at least)....

Gas and Fuel..... Apost parcels, and now they want the Fulltimers off of night shift. Bugger there goes my retirement plans, Unless.... Feeling slightly upbeat might reel in some favours via the wifes nursing fraternity, with shift work PCA aka night portering or at least doing it shift work.

Evertime it starts to get easy something crops up...
Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:01 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Cool Re: Beware Future Oz bound !!!

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
You hit the nail right on the head there.I would add a rider of how you spend it too.

Rather than the 40-50 K new 4 WD get a good second hand car for 15K and either put the rest to the mortgage or start a share portfolio.
Yep and that 25-25k you saved equates to how many months salary? Thats a good (average) 6 months of work.

Or put it another way. That new 4WD is going to cost me 6 months of my life! is it worth it?

I guess if your mega loaded that 4WD is worth 1 day of your life. So worth buying, but 6 months?

And it's only a ****** car! what you going to do, use it to get to work?

</IMG>
Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
...The amount of times I read posts with people complaining that they don't earn the same as back home, and then ask themselves why they ever decided to move to OZ is amazing....
And yet other people say it's not mentioned at all. See http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=wages

I think the OP may be right (about the number of posts he reads on here).

Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:31 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

The work is hard for most, the days are long, you do not have long weekends.......Aus worksforce for what I have seen after five years plus puts in a bigger stint than most. They do not see the "sell me I am aus" advertising the govrnment sells, they are too busy working.

Even if coming for lifestyle consider what income you will need ----- me in Aus five plus years on, bigger house, bigger mortgage, bigger debts and now working travelling abroad to pay for it all, something I had the choice for in the UK.

And from a personal perspective you can f**k the free beach!

Cheers Sandra
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think people think they are entitled to spend as new migrants. They come for an easier life and then make it harder.

We are definitely better off here because we've kept to our guns and have never forgotten the gameplan which is to not get suckered in to consumerism.

And I earn more, and spend less. Our mortgage is a fraction - just 22pc of one income.
I've said it before but I think materialism is a good thing. It is a cornerstone of our capitalist society. Without materialism and consumerism the world would be a pretty grim place to live - it would be like Pyongyang.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
We're not moving to make goood money, that has never been my reason. Enough to get by and everything else that comes with it will suit me down to the ground.

I expect to start back at the bottom and work my way back up but after citizenship I was hoping to do something different/more outdoors anyways which will undoubtedly come with a lower wage packet.

Correct me if Im wrong but I dont think SKIPPI79 is unhappy and advising people not to move to Oz he/she is mearly stating facts to those rose tinted glasses wearing people out there who are thinking life will be easier out there

Money dosnt always bring happyness, life is what you make of it!
Correct G&M, I'm not advising anyone not to come, please do, it's a wonderful country to see/visit/ live in, even if you go back after several months, or years at least you've seen the place.
And no I'm not unhappy. I am just puzzeled how some people move to the other side of the world, and pack it in cause they feel worse off in OZ with a bigger motgage, less wages etc etc... Haven't you done you homework on OZ??
HAVEN'T WE ALL SEEN THE BIGGEST THREAD ON HERE = the official jobs/wages thread. If you haven't the PLEASE read it

All I wanted to see if there are other people along with me who wonder why people come to OZ thinking they're going to be earning big bucks and have a fantastic life with their new $50k 4X4, big 5 bed house, with games room+ pool+jacuzzi etc etc.....
Let's just say, to everyone that has done it right, and are enjoying their new life down under, fair dink'm, well done and hope your enjoying it to bits.

Otherwise to the other people have you down your homework??
obviously theres homesickness and family reasons and other things that you'll never know unless you try it, but for the other people to move down under, blow big bucks on cars, houses, trips, pools etc etc, surely you must have known that house prices are rising and wages are still less than in the UK and that that lifestyle can't continue unless your minted.

All I'd like to say is don't count your chickens before they hatch..
It takes a while to get ajusted into a new culture, took us 2 yrs in spain( we stayed 5yrs there), and after 1 yr in belgium were still struggling(were earning great money, got our own business, but don't like the lifestyle), but it's never going to be easy at first.
We were happy with 50€ a week in spain for our first winter there. If your happy in your relationship and with yourself then if doesn't matter how much you earn, or spend, or have left over each week, you will suvive and get on just fine!!!!

**Karma to everyone that needs it**
Old Oct 10th 2007, 3:23 pm
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

Originally Posted by spartacus
I'll second all of that.

I'm lucky, I get paid more and opportunities are greater for my line of work here.

Life in the UK was a constant game of catch up, always had the feeling I was a month's salary behind. I don't here. I have money left over at the end of every fortnight. When you start to get a handle on the comparitive costs of essential items you can see why. The majority of bills for heating / lighting / council rates / water rates / car insurance / contents insurance etc are considerably cheaper here compard to the UK, some are as much as half.

This doesn't include however food which is similar to UK, and housing (mortgage) which, in the major cities at least, is disproportionately expensive.

It isn't the 'land of milk and honey', you do have to work hard (or even harder), and an appreciation of the great outdoors is more or less essential as the cities don't hold your attention for that long. But this far in, and I admit to being a relative newcomer, I have no regrets.

Andy
Exactly!!!!

The key word here is comparative.

Just because the exchange rate says 1:whatever, doesnt mean your pounds translate to "whatever"

I've found thinking 1:1 works best and normally gives a pleasant surprise at the end of the month (but no doubt I'll be accused of having "rose tinted sunnies" by the 'doom-mongers')
Old Oct 10th 2007, 3:29 pm
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
Correct G&M, I'm not advising anyone not to come, please do, it's a wonderful country to see/visit/ live in, even if you go back after several months, or years at least you've seen the place.
And no I'm not unhappy. I am just puzzeled how some people move to the other side of the world, and pack it in cause they feel worse off in OZ with a bigger motgage, less wages etc etc... Haven't you done you homework on OZ??
HAVEN'T WE ALL SEEN THE BIGGEST THREAD ON HERE = the official jobs/wages thread. If you haven't the PLEASE read it

All I wanted to see if there are other people along with me who wonder why people come to OZ thinking they're going to be earning big bucks and have a fantastic life with their new $50k 4X4, big 5 bed house, with games room+ pool+jacuzzi etc etc.....
Let's just say, to everyone that has done it right, and are enjoying their new life down under, fair dink'm, well done and hope your enjoying it to bits.

Otherwise to the other people have you down your homework??
obviously theres homesickness and family reasons and other things that you'll never know unless you try it, but for the other people to move down under, blow big bucks on cars, houses, trips, pools etc etc, surely you must have known that house prices are rising and wages are still less than in the UK and that that lifestyle can't continue unless your minted.

All I'd like to say is don't count your chickens before they hatch..
It takes a while to get ajusted into a new culture, took us 2 yrs in spain( we stayed 5yrs there), and after 1 yr in belgium were still struggling(were earning great money, got our own business, but don't like the lifestyle), but it's never going to be easy at first.
We were happy with 50€ a week in spain for our first winter there. If your happy in your relationship and with yourself then if doesn't matter how much you earn, or spend, or have left over each week, you will suvive and get on just fine!!!!

**Karma to everyone that needs it**

This is a good point.

How many people on here have moved from a 2 or 3 bed 1 bath terraced house, then complain cos they cant get a 4x2 with pool for less than they sold their UK property?

Hello? 'Apples for apples'!

PS. I need karma - but thats not why I posted.

Last edited by Rhia27; Oct 10th 2007 at 3:32 pm. Reason: Karma begging! :)
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhia27
Exactly!!!!

The key word here is comparative.

Just because the exchange rate says 1:whatever, doesnt mean your pounds translate to "whatever"

I've found thinking 1:1 works best and normally gives a pleasant surprise at the end of the month (but no doubt I'll be accused of having "rose tinted sunnies" by the 'doom-mongers')
An even better word is proportion. What proportion of my income do I spend on . . . ?

So, without wanting to labour the point, I've had a few spare minutes and I've worked out the the proportional costs of my basics Aus vs UK . These are figures worked out on gross salary, so include figures for tax etc, and are a proportion of a single wage (I've excluded my OH's income).

First figure Oz, second UK:

Housing: 23% 24%

Rates (Council and Water): 2% 6%

Electric / Gas: 3% 4.5%

Tax: 23% 23%

National Insurance: 0% 9%

Medical Insurance: 2% 0%

Car rego / Road tax: 1% 0.6%

Car Insurance: 1% 2.2%

Fuel: 4.3% 9.5%

Food: 10% 13%

Total: 69% 92%

Total tax load (approx): 28% 43%

These are based pretty much on like for like circumstances, similar job, similar car, similar mileage, similar food habits etc.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting! We earn far more here than we could in the UK. Just returned from visit to UK and was horrified at cost of petrol, housing, appliances - couldn't afford to eat out, even buying an ice-cream for the kids was a painful experience! Council rates etc were hideous...and don't get me started on a country where it's pay and bloody display everywhere!!! Still miss the old place though and would love to return. After visiting Chatham and not being able to find anyone who spoke English (no, I'm not joking!), maybe England could do with a few Poms returning.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Interesting! We earn far more here than we could in the UK. Just returned from visit to UK and was horrified at cost of petrol, housing, appliances - couldn't afford to eat out, even buying an ice-cream for the kids was a painful experience! Council rates etc were hideous...and don't get me started on a country where it's pay and bloody display everywhere!!! Still miss the old place though and would love to return. After visiting Chatham and not being able to find anyone who spoke English (no, I'm not joking!), maybe England could do with a few Poms returning.

Second all that, except for the bit about wanting to return. The 'working classes' (those who work for a living) are being taxed out of the UK I'm afraid.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Second all that, except for the bit about wanting to return. The 'working classes' (those who work for a living) are being taxed out of the UK I'm afraid.
Overall, tax is higher in Australia.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Overall, tax is higher in Australia.
I admit to being no tax expert, and I've taken a broadbrush to some of the figures, but from my point of view I pay:
- The same income tax.
- No tax on the fuel (QLD).
- No national insurance.
- Less council 'tax'.
- Roughly the same to put a car on the road.

That all feels like less tax to me. Again I admit that some of the above aren't true taxes, but they certainly feel as if they are when you have no option but to pay them

Andy
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

I admit to being no tax expert, and I've taken a broadbrush to some of the figures, but from my point of view I pay:
- The same income tax.
- No tax on the fuel (QLD).
- No national insurance.
- Less council 'tax'.
- Roughly the same to put a car on the road.

That all feels like less tax to me. Again I admit that some of the above aren't true taxes, but they certainly feel as if they are when you have no option but to pay them

Andy
I definitely pay more tax here than over there, but I knew this would be the case before I arrived.
On the other hand, tax is falling in Australia whilst rising in the UK. Expect that to change when KRudd gets in.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've said it before but I think materialism is a good thing. It is a cornerstone of our capitalist society. Without materialism and consumerism the world would be a pretty grim place to live - it would be like Pyongyang.
I don't mind constructive consumerism or capitalism one bit. I'm all for decent quality if you can afford it or smart spending to ease work or get efficient.

What is sad is seeing people living in a void and spending to literally cover up an extremely shallow and humdrum life and yet have a look of boredom - the people you see at malls. Some people seem to live for the DVD they will buy at the weekend or what was on their plasma.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.