Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The best future for our kids. Australia or UK?

The best future for our kids. Australia or UK?

Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:29 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best future for our kids. Australia or UK?

Originally Posted by chris955
Actually I think the 'fear' of these creatures is healthy and far from irrational, they do pose a genuine threat and most of our friends are scared to death of snakes.
specially the one eyed trouser snake
Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I fortunately haven't encountered any of those but they do like to hide in the bush

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
specially the one eyed trouser snake
Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:32 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I fortunately haven't encountered any of those but they do like to hide in the bush
very good

I've heard there are more in Tasmania...
Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:33 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The best future for our kids. Australia or UK?

very good

I've heard there are more in Tasmania...
subtle....very subtle....

BB
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice

For anyone who thinks climate shouldn't be key in a decision to move to Australia, see this news story on Sky today. Research indicates a disease called Rickets may have increased in UK children by as much as 260% in the period from 2001 to 2009. It is caused by insufficient sunlight getting through skin and supporting bone health. Kids suffer from terrible leg pain and in some cases find it difficult even standing up. Suggestion is parents are slapping on too much sunscreen.

Too much sun you get skin cancer, not enough and you can't use your legs!

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16097949
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:58 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

UK for kids IMO, Europe just an hour away and the culture and history of the UK is a great grounding for youth.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:01 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Green Grass
For anyone who thinks climate shouldn't be key in a decision to move to Australia, see this news story on Sky today. Research indicates a disease called Rickets may have increased in UK children by as much as 260% in the period from 2001 to 2009. It is caused by insufficient sunlight getting through skin and supporting bone health. Kids suffer from terrible leg pain and in some cases find it difficult even standing up. Suggestion is parents are slapping on too much sunscreen.

Too much sun you get skin cancer, not enough and you can't use your legs!

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16097949
I bet skin cancer is far far more common than kids who cannot walk because of lack of sun, and the UK gets plenty of sun anyway so what is the report on about?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
I'm sorry but I have to laugh about the irrational fear of snakes and spiders being displayed here.
so there's no chance 3 small kids playing alone in the bush could come across anything of that nature

I must be livin in a different Straya
Actually I think the 'fear' of these creatures is healthy and far from irrational, they do pose a genuine threat and most of our friends are scared to death of snakes.
Walter, there is a chance, and it is low. Most Aussies I know are not scared stiff of them, or have an irrational fear - only perhaps a rational fear. I grant that snakes in QLD might be more aggressive.

I asked my eldest daughter what she should do if she or her friends got bitten and she jumped up into a pike and stood absolutely still....

I then told them that the others should come to us, go for help to the nearest adult or sensible teen (and there are many around) and call 000. If our kids are away on other blocks then there is always a parent around.

My 4 year old was more vague on the 000 thing.

The thing is, they are a team. I would not let a 2 year old out on their own, and maybe not a 4 year old.

But there is a a degree of safety in numbers (peer group) or when there are older kids present.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

General kids comment/ chitchat relating to kids in our neck of the woods, and their now (who knows what is in store for their future):

It's just occurred to me that a lot of established posters on this site who have children came to Australia when their kids were in secondary/on the cusp of secondary, certainly older than our kids who were born here and therefore did not grow up with 'Aussie conditions' (where have we heard that one before) : less snakes?....

My experience with primary kids, and kids in general is that they mix quite well and that they live an old-fashioned existence - (some people lament this does not happen anymore - et cetera - you get me).

We are semi-rural in an established village with a community feel, 50mins from Melbourne - more in keeping with a traditional UK village - I suggest this is hard to find - people on BE are very narrow in their definition of what is a 'village'. (Lots of places that are considered villages by expats are often not considered villages by others and this occasionally comes up. Berwick is not a village.)

So:this is not the outback, country, the suburbs, new or old, nor out on a highway or a single big block, nor Dandenongs. It's a village road, one of many that radiate out from a central village shopping hub with 1/2/3 and occasional 10+ acre properties. The village has a lot of instutions and organisations, creches, kinders, fire station, you name.

The kids attend a good public primary - and some attend a private secondary but not all.

Most people are in to the outdoors. They tend to be quite well equipped - interested in lots of things, and well-experienced too. It's amazing what people come from, or are going to. There are academics, tradesmen, teachers, professionals etc.

For those of you without kids at all, it is amazing how they look after each other. When there are 10, 7, 6, 4 (and increasing now 2 year old) playing, we find that this particular 10 year old is incredibly mature - she organises hats, acts as a second Mum etc. Most of the parents comment on how good this particular girl is. When she is not there, the 7 year old steps up and tries to fill her place. She becomes a different child! and it's clear she is learning from the eldest. She is a good deputy. And my 6 year old does well with her siblings...it's a sort of little hierachy, each kid stepping up. Obviously when there are younger kids around, without the elders, we step up our viligance - and we are always around.

Secondary school kids up to say 14/15 are more than happy to help look after younger kids. I seem to remember that in the UK when I was growing up there was more of a divide between secondary and primary but I can't be reliable on this one.

When my girls were 2 and 4, we would visit one particular property (30 acres - more space for mischief!) and the 14, 11, 8 year olds would whisk them away and keep them entertained. We trust these kids because they are very mature for their age - and their parents have brought them up this way. If their parents were inexperienced, ill-equipped etc then we would not allow this.

By the way on the subject of playing at home. I took caution when they were very young. But they seemed to grow into the space available- and it's only 1 narrow acre, which sort of makes it more complicated, but a third is wooded and there are corners etc. My girls never go near the shed, never touch tools or power gear.

My son, 22 months, (I lied when I said he was 2 ha!) is starting to come out of his shell. Now he - is far more interested in tools and machinery and will want to find the rideon mower, and sit on it, grab a hammer - you name it. The girls had no interest at all. So I police that particular bastard in a way I didn't with the girls! He's becoming my little off-sider. One day he will be useful.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 28th 2011 at 10:42 pm. Reason: typos
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:33 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthbum
I bet skin cancer is far far more common than kids who cannot walk because of lack of sun, and the UK gets plenty of sun anyway so what is the report on about?
The number of people I see in FNQ, including young people, who've had a chunk taken out of them to catch a melanoma is pretty high and statistics are increasing. If it's spread through your system then it's incredibly nasty. I can't believe there are still people who sunbathe or walk around without cream up here. Seriously - I'm a happy lady when it's cloudy.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthbum
This is being seen especially in communities whose dress code requires them to cover up.

Rickets is caused by vitamin D deficiency.

Obviously a balance has to be struck between getting enough sunlight and avoiding skin cancer.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What is the best future?

There is one family we know, who we don't have a lot to do with who we would not leave our kids with.

They live in a home about 5mins from the big shopping mall down there. Some of you will know what it is.

They moved there, and I quote, so that she could 'shop when the kids are in school', and they all hang out there at weekends.

They visited us, and their son did not want to get out of the car because the driveway was not tarmacadam.

This is definitely, not the future my kids will have, and in my opinion, not a best future. I'm sure others would agree. Australia can be crap.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

As a child who grew up here my parents were the ones who introduced me to cultural pursuits. My brother and I grew up listening to Mozart & Tchaikosky and read about Rembrandt & Van Gough. It developed and fuelled sufficient curiosity and interest so much so that when we grew up we both travelled overseas to see for ourselves what the rest of the world had to offer.

As a parent now (to 6), your kids will decide their own futures, but at least you will give them a great foundation for a good life by being here. Education is world class, lifestyle is fantastic, they will grow up strong and have a healthy respect for the outdoor lifestyle and will be able to learn about the wonderful things available to them overseas as well as in Australia. They may wish to return to the UK as young adults to visit or holiday work, and I assume they will have a plethora of relatives to ensure their safety whilst they travel. Many families have their kids travel after their final year of school for their "gap year" and they live and work in the UK, so they can visit Europe. They then return for University study satisfied but still curious.

Can I tell you, so long as you are happy in your decision your children will be too.

Life is safe here, the air is clean and the weather is mild, particularly in Queensland. You won't take long to acclimatize.

Good luck in your decision and remember that as a parent you make the best decision based on the information that you have at the time. It won't be wrong either way.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Work Widow
As a child who grew up here my parents were the ones who introduced me to cultural pursuits. My brother and I grew up listening to Mozart & Tchaikosky and read about Rembrandt & Van Gough. It developed and fuelled sufficient curiosity and interest so much so that when we grew up we both travelled overseas to see for ourselves what the rest of the world had to offer.
There's a lot of that going on. People are always off overseas, or going into Melbourne to explore all that stuff.

My eldest, the 6 year old......has been overseas 3 times, North America - and UK once. The 4 year has gone twice and both are bi-lingual. Even the little bastard cleaned me out and went last time.

The future is where each individual can make it happen.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 7:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
The number of people I see in FNQ, including young people, who've had a chunk taken out of them to catch a melanoma is pretty high and statistics are increasing. If it's spread through your system then it's incredibly nasty. I can't believe there are still people who sunbathe or walk around without cream up here. Seriously - I'm a happy lady when it's cloudy.
Cloud is good even though you still get burned through it, I much prefer a warm cloudy day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.