Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Aussie iphone contract?

Best Aussie iphone contract?

Old Nov 21st 2009, 4:59 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best Aussie iphone contract?

We're moving to Oz in February 2010 and yesterday, thanks to O2 my iphone became unlocked. Which providers offer the best iphone tariffs for Queensland and how much are they a month? Ideally I'd like a similar tariff to the one I have in the UK with unlimited web access but I'm aware that the Australia providers don't really do those?

Also, are there any PAYG tariffs which allow quite a lot of web access?

Hope someone can advise...

Ta,

Jen
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:01 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best Aussie iphone contract?

I think the starting point is to look where your living and see which operators provide the best coverage in that area. If your out in the sticks, Telstra's Next G, whilst expensive, will provide the best coverage.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:22 pm
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Really need to know if you'll be in the city or out and what type of calling you will do..

Try Telstra nextG prepaid (talk and text plan) $30 recharge gives you 100 mins and 100 texts and then you can use the $30 for other things e.g. $10 for 100mb data packs. This is the best for network for coverage and this is prepaid so you can try without a contract.

If you are in the Brisbane CBD mostly, look at Virgin (they use the Optus Network) or three if you use things like youtube a lot and need a lot of data.

Look at Pennytel if you want cheap international and add there data packs (they use Optus network).

Most people don't actually use a lot of data on there Iphones (or at least not as much as they think) you may well be ok with only 100 possibly 200mb a month.

Look at www.whirlpool.net.au for more advise.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:36 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silver
Really need to know if you'll be in the city or out and what type of calling you will do..

Try Telstra nextG prepaid (talk and text plan) $30 recharge gives you 100 mins and 100 texts and then you can use the $30 for other things e.g. $10 for 100mb data packs. This is the best for network for coverage and this is prepaid so you can try without a contract.

If you are in the Brisbane CBD mostly, look at Virgin (they use the Optus Network) or three if you use things like youtube a lot and need a lot of data.

Look at Pennytel if you want cheap international and add there data packs (they use Optus network).

Most people don't actually use a lot of data on there Iphones (or at least not as much as they think) you may well be ok with only 100 possibly 200mb a month.

Look at www.whirlpool.net.au for more advise.
Thanks for the info, we'll be in Toowoomba if this is any help!?
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:49 pm
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Thanks for the info, we'll be in Toowoomba if this is any help!?
I really would suggest Telstra. They have NextG (3G 850Mhz) which the Iphone will work with.

Optus have 3G 2100Mhz in Toowoomba (which the Iphone will work with) however the surrounds are 3G 900 Mhz (yes G) which the iphone does not work with so browsing will go to standard 2G GPRS speeds (very slow) and the coverage will not be so good.

Vodafone will be 2G with EDGE which is a lot better than GPRS, but then their coverage is usually worse than Telstra or Optus.

If it was me, I would go Telstra prepaid and if that doesn't suit for data probably vodafone and use there 2G Edge network.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:57 pm
In melbourne

Oh and you can download the pennytel app from the iphone store and use your included Telstra minutes + 8c for the call to call the uk..
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Skype peeps back home or get em to ring you on ya mobile
I have been using paygo virgin and $49 gives you $450 of credit or there abouts?

Wifes gonna get a contract with vodaphone for $70 and get $540 min with international calling included,$12 for iphone,$8 insurance

Burt at the mo,paygo virgin to virgin free is good for me,with 50mb tinternet free
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:03 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by silver
I really would suggest Telstra. They have NextG (3G 850Mhz) which the Iphone will work with.

Optus have 3G 2100Mhz in Toowoomba (which the Iphone will work with) however the surrounds are 3G 900 Mhz (yes G) which the iphone does not work with so browsing will go to standard 2G GPRS speeds (very slow) and the coverage will not be so good.

Vodafone will be 2G with EDGE which is a lot better than GPRS, but then their coverage is usually worse than Telstra or Optus.

If it was me, I would go Telstra prepaid and if that doesn't suit for data probably vodafone and use there 2G Edge network.
Great, thanku, appreciate ur help
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:21 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Just on Telstra website here, flip me the phone tariffs in Oz are complicated! GRRR
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:30 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Just on Telstra website here, flip me the phone tariffs in Oz are complicated! GRRR
I have an iphone and am on Telstra. I wish I wasnt on Telstra, it is expensive, but the coverage is hands down the best and when you phone them for anything you get through to real people in Australia quickly. Pay for what you get me thinks.

Look for a cap plan which suits your needs. The $49 cap isnt bad at all. Then simply add on a browsing pack. So what you would need to do is to go into a telstra shop and get a SIM only Next G cap plan on 12 months. This is the minimum they will do. They will try to flog you a 24 month one - dont wear that there is no point you signing up to 2 years when you can sign up for 1.

Then you add on a browsing pack which suits your internet use. 300Meg is I think $29. I find thats just great for my emails, google maps and a bit of browsing, ebay, paypal etc. You can step up each month if you need to and change whenever you like. $59 gets you a gig. Just add that cost to your cap plan rate and you have the total.

You can keep an eye on your data usage online or from your phone directly.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:41 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Centurion
I have an iphone and am on Telstra. I wish I wasnt on Telstra, it is expensive, but the coverage is hands down the best and when you phone them for anything you get through to real people in Australia quickly. Pay for what you get me thinks.

Look for a cap plan which suits your needs. The $49 cap isnt bad at all. Then simply add on a browsing pack. So what you would need to do is to go into a telstra shop and get a SIM only Next G cap plan on 12 months. This is the minimum they will do. They will try to flog you a 24 month one - dont wear that there is no point you signing up to 2 years when you can sign up for 1.

Then you add on a browsing pack which suits your internet use. 300Meg is I think $29. I find thats just great for my emails, google maps and a bit of browsing, ebay, paypal etc. You can step up each month if you need to and change whenever you like. $59 gets you a gig. Just add that cost to your cap plan rate and you have the total.

Thanks Centurion, seems a little clearer now...
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:52 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Centurion

Does that cap not include any amount of texts?
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:59 pm
In melbourne

I reckon prepaid with Telstra is a better bet.. than post paid caps http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/prepaid/latestoffers/ the data is the same cost. If you need more calls in the month you can topup before months end and best of all no contract and only $10pm committed minimum spend on the talk and text.. Telstra caps only seem to be reasonable if you want a subsidized phone...
Old Nov 21st 2009, 9:00 pm
In melbourne

Does that cap not include any amount of texts?
Caps give you $ amounts to spend on calls and texts..
Old Nov 21st 2009, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

So everyone gets "thanks" instead of me!

Ill take my pre paid info with me then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.