Best airline?

Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:33 am
Just Joined

gaz4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best airline?

thanks for all your replys. signapore is slightly more expensive but its a long journey so want a good one. found a cathay pacific flight leaving 2 weeks before we were planning to but its only £380 so quite tempting. i've been told emirates do complimentary food and drink, is this true, do other airlines?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gaz4
thanks for all your replys. signapore is slightly more expensive but its a long journey so want a good one. found a cathay pacific flight leaving 2 weeks before we were planning to but its only £380 so quite tempting. i've been told emirates do complimentary food and drink, is this true, do other airlines?
Everyone does complimentary food & drink except Air Asia which is the only low cost option. Royal Brunei are dry - no alcohol.

If you fly west via the US however some of the US carriers would charge you for alcohol I think.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=harrip;7412653]For me, the best airline usually tends to be the cheapest one with availability for the given date. At the end of the day, they all provide a seat and some form of food.

I tend to agree with this if I am on my own, it wouldn't bother me if I flew in an Hercules transport plane.

If the OH is with me then it has to be Singapore Airlines.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:40 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion

For consistency, most direct routings between the UK to Australia and the latest equipment no other airline touches SIA at the moment.
Not true from Perth. Emirates have the best routings (but they do charge a bit more for these)

Personally I've flown, Sing, BA, Qantas, Malaysian, Cathay and Emirates

We tend to use Emirates due to better routings/times and excellent frequent flyer, but probably my favorite is Malaysian.
Experiences with Sing ok as were Cathay (free upgrades helped) and Qantas. BA would be bottom of my choosen flyer unless much cheaper.

At the end of the day you can have good and bad flights with all airlines depending on the crew, the other pax around you, unforeseen delays, weather etc. which can bias opinions.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

Ive flown with a few - and my favourite is Singapore. The flight times are good - with only 50 mins wait at Singapore airport when changing planes which is spotless, open , with free internet access and very well signposted.
Landing in Perth at 3.30pm in the afternoon is great compared to a night landing. Gives you time to get to accommodation in the daylight and then its not to long to stay awake till the evening and an early night!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:00 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think all long haul flights do complimentary food and drink they have on all I have been on.

Emirates food we thought was pretty poor, CP very good, but Singapore was actually very good also singapore has the best airport in my opinion.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi

Singapore is always highly rated on here, but have always found them to at least $1000 - $2000 more expensive so never used them yet.

We have used Malaysair and Qantas so far, and much rather fly with Qantas again as I found the overall experience better although my OH preferred MH as the leg room was better.

I think that if you fly economy, it is pretty grim whoever you fly with. I dream of winning the lotto and flying first class one day but even then, I'm not sure I could spend that much money on 24 hours!!

Sam
I booked two one way flights with Singapore in September through Flight Centre and they were actually quoted as the cheapest! £640 each inc. 40KG luggage allowence pp.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Del-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really nice

We flew Quantas and BA when we came over to validate our visa. BA were great very friendly Cabin Crew and were great with the kids always coming and checking things were ok and more than happy to get anything you needed. As for Quantas well where do I start - at one point a female member of the cabin crew ran right over my foot with the trolley with no word of an apology and then when serving the food she missed out my little boy when my husband asked for a meal for him she threw him the dirtiest look and thrust a tray at him. I think if I hadn't been so tired and shocked I would have said something and wish now I had complained, if we did ask for anything it was all done with great effort and as if they couldn't be bothered. I have to say it was mainly just this one woman we had a problem with but none of the other Cabin Crew came to see if the kids were ok or if we needed anything. Overall very very poor service and from talking to a few other passengers they felt the same.

Definately be using Emirates or Singapore next time (if we ever sell the house and get out of here :curse
Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

Hi we are looking at booking a flight in june just wondered who people think are the best to fly with and why? have been looking at emirates, cathay pacific and quantas. any advice appreciated cheers
My hubby just had to fly back to Sydney (the dreaded phone call....) and went with Asiana Airlines. They were really very cheap, barely a sole on the flights so he got to really spread out and he thought they were excellent! A return from London to Sydney via Seoul cost £545 rtn!!!!!
We have flown BA / Qantas / Emirates / Singapore / American and he says they were definately up there with the better ones............
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

Originally Posted by Del-Jo
We flew Quantas and BA when we came over to validate our visa. BA were great very friendly Cabin Crew and were great with the kids always coming and checking things were ok and more than happy to get anything you needed. As for Quantas well where do I start - at one point a female member of the cabin crew ran right over my foot with the trolley with no word of an apology and then when serving the food she missed out my little boy when my husband asked for a meal for him she threw him the dirtiest look and thrust a tray at him. I think if I hadn't been so tired and shocked I would have said something and wish now I had complained, if we did ask for anything it was all done with great effort and as if they couldn't be bothered. I have to say it was mainly just this one woman we had a problem with but none of the other Cabin Crew came to see if the kids were ok or if we needed anything. Overall very very poor service and from talking to a few other passengers they felt the same.

Definately be using Emirates or Singapore next time (if we ever sell the house and get out of here :curse
I had a terrible experience with Qantas - really unhelpful when travelling with kids too. I did complain - the list was endless - and I got a whopping $50 voucher towards my next Qantas flight!!!! Bloody cheek.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TandC23
Ive flown with a few - and my favourite is Singapore. The flight times are good - with only 50 mins wait at Singapore airport when changing planes which is spotless, open , with free internet access and very well signposted.
Landing in Perth at 3.30pm in the afternoon is great compared to a night landing. Gives you time to get to accommodation in the daylight and then its not to long to stay awake till the evening and an early night!
And if the connection isn't so great and you are going via Changi pack some swimmers in your hand luggage and go for a swim at the airport!! Fab mid way relaxation - or a very cheap foot massage at the airport....bliss
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GillyG
I booked two one way flights with Singapore in September through Flight Centre and they were actually quoted as the cheapest! £640 each inc. 40KG luggage allowence pp.

Flying from Oz to the UK in July, SIA are definitely one of the most expensive, we'll probably use Malaysair or Emirates as their prices are pretty good, or as good as we're going to get

Sam