Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Being Black In Australia

Wikiposts

Being Black In Australia

Old Jan 18th 2006, 9:05 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being Black In Australia

Originally Posted by arkon
I was only refering to my rural neck of the woods where the rednecks won't think twice about mimicking your accent or calling you a wog. As for the rest of Australia I can only go by what I see on the TV same as the rest of you. The biggest difference I see here is the way the uk media differs from the Australian media, Back home if there is some kind of racial problem it is blasted on the news day after day and week after week and make the problem look and feel far worse than it really is. Here by contrast the media might pick up on the story and run it for a day or two at most then thats it, make the whole place *feel* much better not being told there is a problem every day. I for one believe the place is much worse than whats being portrayed, The media would rather run a story about Kylie or some boring sports article. Anyway luckily I'm not black and my accent is not a million miles from that of the locals so I don't suffer too badly except for an anti pom sentiment.

Yes there are racial problems in Australia, and there are racial problems in the UK too. When I was driving public buses in Glasgow the racial gestures made to the Asians there were discusting. In contrast some of the comments made by the Asians weren't much better either.
In reading some of your posts you seem to have an anti sentiment to Australians, does this include all Australians? Or just the red necks?

ZX.....
Old Jan 18th 2006, 9:15 pm
Banned

spiral tribe is an unknown quantity at this point

Vash the Stampede, you seem to have a real bee in your bonnet with anyone who dare mention Australia may have any flaws, not only in this thread but in other threads I have read too.

Why you feel the need to totally slag the UK and defend Australia I do not know. Of course there are racists and the BNP in the UK but this is an Australian message board and this thread in particular is about racism in Australia, please keep that in mind before launching in to a tirade about people being killed with pick axe's or whatever.

I work in a working class tradie environment, I work with welders and builders etc on a daily basis and these guys make up a huge percentage of Australia's working classes, believe me there is a lot of racism in your country. You can bury your head in the sand if you wish but whatever you do will not change that fact.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 9:52 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Being Black In Australia

Originally Posted by spiral tribe
Vash the Stampede, you seem to have a real bee in your bonnet with anyone who dare mention Australia may have any flaws, not only in this thread but in other threads I have read too.
You're wrong; I simpy don't appreciate baseless generalisations, that's all.

Why you feel the need to totally slag the UK and defend Australia I do not know.
I don't "totally slag the UK"; if I did, you'd know all about it. I'd sound like Arkon, who rubbishes and derides every possible aspect of Australian life on every possible occasion.

As for defending Australia; well, I'm Australian. Is it so strange that I stick up for my own country?

Of course there are racists and the BNP in the UK but this is an Australian message board and this thread in particular is about racism in Australia, please keep that in mind before launching in to a tirade about people being killed with pick axe's or whatever.
My purpose in mentioning the BNP and Anthony Walker was to refute the wholly unsubstantiated claim that racism in Australia is more "in your face" than the UK. (In Anthony Walker's case, it wasn't just "in his face"; it was several inches into his skull.)

That was my sole purpose. It was not to "slag the UK"; merely to introduce some much-needed perspective.

I work in a working class tradie environment, I work with welders and builders etc on a daily basis and these guys make up a huge percentage of Australia's working classes, believe me there is a lot of racism in your country. You can bury your head in the sand if you wish but whatever you do will not change that fact.
I am sure that your account of your experience is perfectly true; I have neither argued with it nor denied it. So how exactly am I burying my head in the sannd?

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jan 18th 2006 at 9:54 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:20 pm
Banned

spiral tribe is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see you are in the mood for a fight but that will not help the OP so I will not retort other than to say you are very naive and a bit silly in your views.
Maybe you are better off in the UK.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

I don't "totally slag the UK"; if I did, you'd know all about it. I'd sound like Arkon, who rubbishes and derides every possible aspect of Australian life on every possible occasion.

As for defending Australia; well, I'm Australian. Is it so strange that I stick up for my own country?

My purpose in mentioning the BNP and Anthony Walker was to refute the wholly unsubstantiated claim that racism in Australia is more "in your face" than the UK. (In Anthony Walker's case, it wasn't just "in his face"; it was several inches into his skull.)

That was my sole purpose. It was not to "slag the UK"; merely to introduce some much-needed perspective.

I am sure that your account of your experience is perfectly true; I have neither argued with it nor denied it. So how exactly am I burying my head in the sannd?
Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I can see you are in the mood for a fight but that will not help the OP so I will not retort other than to say you are very naive and a bit silly in your views.
Maybe you are better off in the UK.
Mood for a fight hardly! The guy's reply was pretty even, one of the more so in response to a dig. He didn't like the generalisation that's all.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 11:17 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

LOL, Says the man who is always giving baseless generalisations about the UK and its houses for one.

And I don't rubbish all aspects of Australian life, just all aspects as they relate to me, If the shitty boot fits wear it.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 12:37 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute

I have not read all the replies to this thread as it is quite lengthy but I will give you my view on being black in Australia.

It is probably no different to being black in the UK other than your organic Aussie male is far more racist than their UK counterpart. I work in an all male environment and they tend to refer to black people as coons, Wog's, niggers, and other choice names.
For example today at work one of the lads was commenting on the area another lad was looking at buying a house in and told him not to but there as it is full of coons and they will drive the prices down over time.

Another example was last week when a few African looking blokes walked past the front of the workshop and one of the boys shouted "Quick, somebody throw a banana" Basically this is an ongoing thing amongst 20 something Aussie males and this is very sad.

By all means come to Australia and make a life for yourself but be prepared for racism on a more in-your-face scale than in the UK.
Arseholes like the blokes you work with should be prevented from having kids.
Ever thought of standing up to them or shouting them down - you shouldnt have to work with twats like that.

It's the same in the UK with Parents who bring there kids up on racist Jokes.

My wife Teaches kids to respect one another - hoping that they aren't colour blind or prejudice to any Race or Religion. However when it comes to parents evening you see where they get it from. Neanderthals - it's like pissing in the wind!
Sorry bout the language!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 12:43 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

I see the OP who is a troll has done a fine and dandy job of winding you lot up...
Old Jan 19th 2006, 12:48 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
I see the OP who is a troll has done a fine and dandy job of winding you lot up...
:scared: reel me in
Old Jan 19th 2006, 1:34 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CompressedA
I am black and British and thinking about living and working in Australia. However, I have heard a lot of negative stories about how unwelcoming it can be for people of colour. I would be greatful for people's honest reflections and/or experiences on this matter.

I would love to experience the country but do not want to put myself in any danger.

Can only speak on the basis of my workmates.

1 is 100% indian, 1 is 50% aboriginal & 50% chinese, 2 are 100% iranian, 1 is 50% aboriginal, 25% british, 25% chinese, 3 are african, 2 are arabic, 1 is 50% aboriginal 50% european. Oh and there is a Maori and a half maori and a 50% greek.

This in a company of about 400 people and just the people I know (which is about 20% of the company, so 14 out of about 60-80 people) and absolutely nobody treats anyone of them any different from the others. Yes we rip the piss out of them & yes we slagg them off big time but we do that to everybody in the company (and to be honest cos I have a scottish accent I get it more than most which is only fair). To be honest though I can think immediately of 12 collegues who are scottish, so the whole black / white / foreign thing is a bit skewed.

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; Jan 19th 2006 at 1:52 am. Reason: forgot to say !!!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 1:47 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

I work for a mining consultancy company up in the Pilbara and one of our requirements is that all sub-contractors use "local content". To date after 3 years of operations not one subcontractor has complained about this policy and ALL have complied 100% with the requirements.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 4:29 am
Des
Des

Des is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really nice

Originally Posted by CompressedA
I am black and British and thinking about living and working in Australia. However, I have heard a lot of negative stories about how unwelcoming it can be for people of colour. I would be greatful for people's honest reflections and/or experiences on this matter.

I would love to experience the country but do not want to put myself in any danger.
hi there

i hope i will be able to help i myself being black i have been to australia twice to visit ,staying roughly a month each time. i have to say i have never faced any kind of racism in any form or way actually i found australians to be very friendly people. im sure there might be a few idiots but i have never met them. i have been to brisbane, adelaide and melbourne. i am actually moving to melbourne for good at the end of the year.

i also have a friend (black african)who has lived in brisbane for 6 years the only person who was a bit xenophobic was actually an aboriginal who asked him " what are you doing on my land" my friend thought it was very funny. personally i dont think you will have a problem at all i enjoy melbourne so much that i cant wait to go back for a month mid feb to mid march. ofcourse like everywhere in the world you have right wing people like prof andrew fraser (canadian who lives in australia) who seems to have a different view on black people but i guess he is in the minority.everywhere in the world there are so many "crazy people" blacks who hate other blacks, blacks who hate whites , whites who hate blacks, whites who hate whites this should never stop you live your life to the fullest.

from a personal point of view i found people more friendlier in melbourne than in london as strangers said hello to me in the park ,on trams, pubs, night clubs and at the mcg.

in my opinion i dont think you will be in any "danger" at all

des
Old Jan 19th 2006, 4:46 am
Des
Des

Des is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really nice

Originally Posted by superam74
Hi, This is an excellent post for me. I've always wanted to know the answer to this question, but being white I didn't really know how to ask it. My wife is Jamaican, as is my 15 year old stepson & I also have a 3 year old son who is obviously mixed race .We are moving to Melbourne this year & I would cancel the whole thing if I thought they were going to get any 'different' treatment from me in Australia. I would love to add more to this post but I'm late for work. regards ,Pete.
hey

she will be so welcome and there is a nice jamaican restuarant on punt rd which is run by a jamaican guy and makes good soul food. i also know where to get afro carribean hair products / hairdressers if she needs some, there are a few of them in melbourne.

melbourne is so cosmopolitan i had my wedding ther last year all my friends who came from london all black had a ball of a time. none of them have complained they all want to go back again.

des
Old Jan 19th 2006, 4:52 am
Des
Des

I have not read all the replies to this thread as it is quite lengthy but I will give you my view on being black in Australia.

It is probably no different to being black in the UK other than your organic Aussie male is far more racist than their UK counterpart. I work in an all male environment and they tend to refer to black people as coons, Wog's, niggers, and other choice names.
For example today at work one of the lads was commenting on the area another lad was looking at buying a house in and told him not to but there as it is full of coons and they will drive the prices down over time.

Another example was last week when a few African looking blokes walked past the front of the workshop and one of the boys shouted "Quick, somebody throw a banana" Basically this is an ongoing thing amongst 20 something Aussie males and this is very sad.

By all means come to Australia and make a life for yourself but be prepared for racism on a more in-your-face scale than in the UK.
hi
wog is used as a nice word in oz not seen as offensive at all
Old Jan 19th 2006, 5:01 am
Des
Des

Originally Posted by renth
Theres a lot of Afrikaaners in Perth, some of whom were involved in racist chanting, calling the South African fast bowler Ntini a "kaffir" at the recent test match at the WACA.

Probably something to think about if you were considering Perth.
hi
actually there is an interesting thing about the perth africanners some left zimbabwe (then rhodesia) when mugabe came to power to go to apartheid south africa. when mandela came to power they left to go to perth as they could not stand a black man being their president. but not all africanners are bad there is a lot of nice people in perth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.