Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Been here two months and want to go home!

Been here two months and want to go home!

Old Mar 17th 2007, 7:13 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been here two months and want to go home!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My dad was Welsh, and my sister and I have always been very proud of our Welsh heritage, although we never lived that side of the border.
My hubby's father is Welsh, although has lived most of his adult life in England.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 7:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eric the viking
Ceri, I don't think she is still around the boards anymore. When all those characters were on there was a much more "I hate Oz" group on here don't you think? They realy knew how to pull the country down and defend the UK. People think there are touchy ones on here now if you touch a wrong nerve, but that lot!!!!!
No haven't seen her online for ages - shame, she had a way with words
Old Mar 17th 2007, 8:50 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

had a way with words [/QUOTE]

Yeah mostly B***sh*th .........................mm
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Koalas
Stacey

Our first time around in Oz was same for us, when we left we had leaving parties and we had strong family ties and great friends. After 4 years went back and found family around our house everyday, then every week, then once a fortnight...... As for friends they all stayed exactly as they were but things were never the same again as it was prior to us leaving. Anyway this time around I miss my parents as always, my friends email us if we email them with photo's or news. I am happier this time around, have not once thought about going home to UK, I guess I even regard Oz as home now.

Last time around I even worried that if I died I would never be able to be buried in my beloved England, now then can use me as chum for the fish out on the reef if they want.

Some people have to go back to see what it was they were missing, many then ping pong back. I am glad I ping ponged otherwise I may have lived in "I-wonder-land" for ever.

I am happy, my OH is happy and my kids are happy. I hope the original poster finds happiness.

E
That was such apositive post. We moved to Gold Coast June 2005 - i came back to UK Feb 2006. I have never felt so unahppy in my life, i felt guilty for hurting my family so much. our youngest son was only 3 and i found it hard, couldn't find work, compared my nice normal life in uk. Now am going back to Robina, we see our families once a week - realistically once a fortnight, working and everything is the same, I miss Oz and know this time around i will be happy. i just needed to come back to make sure 100%. Hubby is a builder and was happy there, he didnt want to come back but thankfully did to support me as i thought i was going to have a breakdown dur to the deep depression i got myself into. I just wish i had found this site while i was there as i felt like a failure for not settling in and having a fantastic life!!! We made a few nice friends who we are still in regular contact with and i can't wait to see them again - where abouts are you - in Burleigh??? Did you have problems finding work? i work in admin and struggled - despite having 10 years experience!!!! made me feel like crap but know i will be stronger and more focused this time around.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

WILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud of

Hi folks, this is mainly a response the OP and any one else that is at the OMG I want to go back stage..........

We moved to Melbourne with PR back in 1990, both young, recently married and with a young baby son. We had no family or friends and basically the only worldy possessions we had were the suitcases we landed with.
However, it was like a dream come true to be living in Australia for the first few weeks. Unfortunately though with me being at work most of the time, my wife and baby son were left at home, hence the two month guilt itch that the original poster is now feeling began.

We managed to keep going for another 3-months, before the hurt that my wife was feeling began to drive a wedge between us. So return tickets were sorted out and within 5-days we were back in the UK, jobless, homeless and a lot financially worse off.

And you know what - that was the biggest mistakes of our lives!!!!!!

We muddled around for the next few years and inadvertently let our PR's expire - what a waste.

The good news from all of this, is that we both realised we had made a huge mistake coming back, and decided to go through the whole application process again and after nearly 2-years we fly out to the Gold Coast on the 16th July to start our new lives!!!

I, strongly encourage anyone to take a step back when they start to miss home and ask themselves why they originally wanted to move to Australia and more importantly why they wanted to leave the UK, because I can strongly assure you things are still exactly the same here in the UK, but more expensive....

Anyway, for what its worth having worn the T shirt, I trust you make the right decission for you..........

Originally Posted by stardust
Hello everyone
Well I don't want this post to sound negative but can't stop thinking about going home even though couldn't wait to get out here.
Australia is a beautiful country. We are living in Sydney near Cronulla a really nice part of the country. Love the beaches, love the weather but missing my mum and dad so much.
Both me and my husband are finding it so hard without the support of the grandparents looking after the kids. Kids really missing their grandparents too. My daughter cries for her nana all the time which makes me feel really awful.
Kids have started school which they actually like which is good. I am still not working, maybe I will feel better when I do, hope so.
found the whole thing about Australians working shorter hours a bit of a myth. My husband and other friends and family work in Sydney and generally finish about 6.30 - 7.00pm the same if not later than UK, so things on that score not that much different really. In general find the wages lower but frustratingly house prices higher. But then suppose this depends on the area. Sydney is the biggest city in Australia I suppose
We have been to Australia before on a long holiday and loved it but really think I mixed up enjoying a place to holiday rather than actually living here.
Really don't want to put people off coming, think if you want to do it you should go for it even if you end up coming home at least you have tried!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:40 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Hi Est sorry to hear that you feel like that, we went through the process of emigrating together our time lines were very similar. Christmas will be here before you know it.

When we first got here i wasn't homesick i was people sick. At the beginning I wouldn't have said i was close to my family as in they took the kids out/ picked them up from school. But i saw them every week and spoke to them on the phone at least once a week. When we decided to emigrate to Australia things changed family were doing a lot more for us. Having the children over night, taking them out on day trips inviting us around to dinner and it was lovely. So when the goodbyes came it made it very hard for us. We arrived on the Gold Coast and it was beautiful, but all i kept thinking about was my family. When we were house hunting i just longed for the family to be there again to help. They were phoning every day, mom was getting upset so was my sister and this made it very hard for me i felt so guilty all the time. I wouldn't send photo's home in case they thought i was enjoying myself. If they asked do you like it there i would answer "it's to soon to tell".

It's funny how things have change, in the last 3 weeks i have spoke to my mom once. I have e mailed my sister loads of time with no response, text and e mails have slowed down so much from friends and family. It's gone back to how it use to be before we had told them we were going to emigrate. It's then i decided i couldn't live my life for my family, and if we were to go home things would just go back to how they were. I don't feel so people sick any more. I am turning 30 in a couple of weeks, if you'd asked me a month ago i would have said that i wasn't looking forward to my B'day as my family were not here to help me celebrate. But now i can't wait as my family are here my husband and my children and we are going to spend the day at the beach It's amazing how a month can change the way you feel. I love the Gold Coast, and i am making new friends all the time and at the moment i have no thoughts of going home.

Sorry if i have rabbited on a bit.

Staceyx
Great to hear you are feeling more settled now Stacey

We are currently in transit on our way to the GC!!!!!!! C x
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wafc
I know what you mean, we're at the three month stage now and its been hard with missing all of our family and friends and I've often thought about wanting to return to the UK. Its not made it easier as we're both struggling to find work, although I've just secured a 12 month contract and start this week so hopefully that will help me to meet new people and make a few friends.

We're going to do our best to give it at least 2 years though and then see how things are from then.

Good luck anyway and just keep plugging away at it for a while, things may get better with time.
Best wishes WAFC !