Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Been here two months and want to go home!

Been here two months and want to go home!

Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:06 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been here two months and want to go home!

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
You are right Stitch - the closer the family, the harder the move.

My kids are teenagers and although I have great friends in the UK my family is not really that close. All in all my family situation made the move easier.

PS love Oor Wullie
Awww thanks....I see you're from the East Coast as well...

Cheers

Ginny
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

well I only managed 3 days before wishing I was home and 3 months before we actually returned ! For me it was not a missing people thing but more of a not belonging and yearning for our old lives back! I certainly did not go in blind, but would never settle there. However, see how you feel, read the "going home forum " and this one for a balanced view and to compare feelings perhaps.Don't let yourself get ill with it, but talk and live it. If you feelings dont change much and every dayfeels like effort than come home!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridie
Funny, we had a conversation over the weekend as I wasnt feeling too good (pregnancy pains, nothing serious as it turned out!) and he said I was his No 1 priority and if we'd come here and I'd not been happy he would have gladly gone back if that was what I wanted.

I thought it was so sweet.......
Awww that's sweet!!

I know I'm lucky having such an amazing hubby. Some aren't in that boat; yesterday I was talking to a woman at school and she's been here 7/8 months. She really wants to go home and her hubby is saying 'no way'. She she is prepared to leave him and take the kids back alone. She says they had a really strong marriage (or so she thought) before she got here, she now believes that her husband loves this place more than he loves her and their kids talk about sad.

Just goes to show that things have to be really right between a couple to get through this, whether the end result is good or bad.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:21 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I think this thread should be in the moving back to the UK forum the way its going.

Whilst I think myself lucky that we've found Australia is for us, it goes to show that people are all different. To want to return to the UK within days of arriving seems illogical to my male orientated brain. How do some people cope with 2 week holidays ?

I fully appreciate and understand that for some being outside the comfort zone of family, friends and everything you ever knew and called home will be more than they can bear. As I say, everyone is different.

But, I met a woman the other day who was from the UK. She's unhappy here and what amazed me more than anything else was the constant references to "back home", "over here", and referring to born and bred Australians as some kind of third rate johnny colonial. She sapped my mental energy and I was a little embarassed at being British when she was speaking with a few Aussies around me.

Fair play to those who want to return "home". It seems Australia isnt your home and maybe it is where the heart and extended family is afterall. But making a solid go of it in mindset, attitude if you will, as well as words I think is critical to sucess in migration.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
To be honest I think this thread should be in the moving back to the UK forum the way its going.

Why's that then?

People should be open to both good and bad opinions don't you think? After all, I think after living here for several years our opinions are quite valid. Whether or not people agree with them is irrelevant.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:04 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Why's that then?

People should be open to both good and bad opinions don't you think? After all, I think after living here for several years our opinions are quite valid. Whether or not people agree with them is irrelevant.
Because its a specific forum for those people thinking out or moving back to the UK where some help and thoughts from other people in a similar boat may be more readily noticed maybe ???

The OP was looking for some similar people and thought that would be more appropriate is all my comment was for.

Nobody is suggesting that your opinions are not valid, or that I disagree with you in anyway at all. My post was completely the opposite in fact. Maybe you need to read it again hey.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

stardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of light

Yes I take your points onboard
To anybody thinking of going I would say go for it - no-one could have stopped me.
My situation is unique and just unlucky. My mum got diagnosed with cancer when we had only been here a few weeks and was never going to feel happy with that worry back home. Anyway I am off to England to see my mum for a couple of weeks as she is going in hospital. That too will be strange as I am going on my own and have never been apart from the kids for more than one night, now I will be at the opposite end of the world from them!
On a positive note to anyone thinking of coming this is undoubtably a beautiful country and every australian we have met have been friendly and really nice people.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stardust
Yes I take your points onboard
To anybody thinking of going I would say go for it - no-one could have stopped me.
My situation is unique and just unlucky. My mum got diagnosed with cancer when we had only been here a few weeks and was never going to feel happy with that worry back home. Anyway I am off to England to see my mum for a couple of weeks as she is going in hospital. That too will be strange as I am going on my own and have never been apart from the kids for more than one night, now I will be at the opposite end of the world from them!
On a positive note to anyone thinking of coming this is undoubtably a beautiful country and every australian we have met have been friendly and really nice people.
My thoughts and prayers are with your Mum.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:27 am
Est
Forum Regular

Est is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Re: Been here two months and want to go home!

I have been in brisbane nealy 3 months, left home (uk) 4 months ago and every day since I left I have wanted to be back home. Its horrible - we have to wait until after christmas before we can go home.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Est
I have been in brisbane nealy 3 months, left home (uk) 4 months ago and every day since I left I have wanted to be back home. Its horrible - we have to wait until after christmas before we can go home.
Hi Est sorry to hear that you feel like that, we went through the process of emigrating together our time lines were very similar. Christmas will be here before you know it.

When we first got here i wasn't homesick i was people sick. At the beginning I wouldn't have said i was close to my family as in they took the kids out/ picked them up from school. But i saw them every week and spoke to them on the phone at least once a week. When we decided to emigrate to Australia things changed family were doing a lot more for us. Having the children over night, taking them out on day trips inviting us around to dinner and it was lovely. So when the goodbyes came it made it very hard for us. We arrived on the Gold Coast and it was beautiful, but all i kept thinking about was my family. When we were house hunting i just longed for the family to be there again to help. They were phoning every day, mom was getting upset so was my sister and this made it very hard for me i felt so guilty all the time. I wouldn't send photo's home in case they thought i was enjoying myself. If they asked do you like it there i would answer "it's to soon to tell".

It's funny how things have change, in the last 3 weeks i have spoke to my mom once. I have e mailed my sister loads of time with no response, text and e mails have slowed down so much from friends and family. It's gone back to how it use to be before we had told them we were going to emigrate. It's then i decided i couldn't live my life for my family, and if we were to go home things would just go back to how they were. I don't feel so people sick any more. I am turning 30 in a couple of weeks, if you'd asked me a month ago i would have said that i wasn't looking forward to my B'day as my family were not here to help me celebrate. But now i can't wait as my family are here my husband and my children and we are going to spend the day at the beach It's amazing how a month can change the way you feel. I love the Gold Coast, and i am making new friends all the time and at the moment i have no thoughts of going home.

Sorry if i have rabbited on a bit.

Staceyx

Last edited by stacey and jordan; Mar 16th 2007 at 3:45 am.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 4:19 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Awww that's sweet!!

I know I'm lucky having such an amazing hubby. Some aren't in that boat; yesterday I was talking to a woman at school and she's been here 7/8 months. She really wants to go home and her hubby is saying 'no way'. She she is prepared to leave him and take the kids back alone. She says they had a really strong marriage (or so she thought) before she got here, she now believes that her husband loves this place more than he loves her and their kids talk about sad.

Just goes to show that things have to be really right between a couple to get through this, whether the end result is good or bad.
Did 2 jobs last year ,wife took off with the kid s back to the uk, leaving hubby to fend for him self........hard to do these jobs ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mm
Old Mar 16th 2007, 5:04 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Est
What is wrong with just booking a flight and going if it is that bad? Anything you have you can sell, even through an agent. Just get gone.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
What is wrong with just booking a flight and going if it is that bad? Anything you have you can sell, even through an agent. Just get gone.
Its often not that easy - wife hates it, husband loves it....do you suggest selling the husband?
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say my experience so far has been tough..my family was exactly the same as OP, couldnt do enough for us for the time before we left..amazing as for the last 10 odd years of mine and kids life they didnt do jack....so yes its very easy to miss all that but remember its all part of the grass is greener syndrome, I think we are all guilty of dreaming about a better life and we focus that on Oz but then get here and realise that life AINT like a box of chocolates and start reminiscing fondly about how life was in the last days of the UK.
I have also split from partner so now doing it alone with two teenagers in tow. If you think its hard with a hubby to moan to, you can only try to imagine the overwhelming sense of isolation at being on your own. So my advice for what its worth is yes you have to do it and try it,and DONT give up at the first hurdle, stick it out for gods sake, its a big upheaval so at least give your dreams a go, if it doesnt work out its all good and if your lucky you still have a long life to live
x
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its often not that easy - wife hates it, husband loves it....do you suggest selling the husband?
er I did? No one would give me any money for him though?!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.