Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Becoming a citizen

Becoming a citizen

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 4:59 am
Just Joined

sunnysyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Becoming a citizen

Hi - searched previous threads but couldn't find anything on this. Has anybody gone down the road of becoming an Aussie citizen. What was the process like?
How long did it take?
How long had you been in Aus when you decided to apply?

Thanks very much...
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 5:05 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Becoming a citizen

Originally posted by sunnysyd
Hi - searched previous threads but couldn't find anything on this. Has anybody gone down the road of becoming an Aussie citizen. What was the process like?
How long did it take?

Thanks very much...

Hi

Depends what visa you are on. You can apply after 2 years if you have a PR visa (I think). Don't know the process thou.

Walla
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 5:16 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

We are about to apply. Yes its two years if on a PR visa.
Its very much like applying for a passport. You can apply online for the forms, get a couple of passport type photos taken & signed by a police officer, doctor, pharmacist etc, send off your forms with the fee & wait. Not sure how long it takes but I don;t think its to long.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Bordy
We are about to apply. Yes its two years if on a PR visa.
Its very much like applying for a passport. You can apply online for the forms, get a couple of passport type photos taken & signed by a police officer, doctor, pharmacist etc, send off your forms with the fee & wait. Not sure how long it takes but I don;t think its to long.
Thanks for that - did you apply at 2 years on the dot or did you wait a little longer?

Does anybody else have any idea of how long the application takes to be completed?

Thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 5:24 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that - did you apply at 2 years on the dot or did you wait a little longer?

Does anybody else have any idea of how long the application takes to be completed?

Thanks

No weve been here almost 5 years but could have applied at two years if we wanted.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 5:35 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

How long did it take?

Thanks very much...
Yes I have and I'm a very confused person

I applied after being 7 years of here ( just over two being PR - which is the requirement - you need to have been a PR for two years)

Ok - I applied around Christmas ( can't remember if it was before or after. I applied online from the gov website ( very straight forward). About a couple of weeks later I had a letter telling giving me a date for an interview ( which was held by the post mistress at our local PO) .. the questions were basically confirming your identity, any criminal records etc.. and do you know your rights and duties as an Australian citizen. Then not long after I received a letter saying I was accepted ( don't think they refuse anyone, unless they are crims or something .. it really is just a straight forward procedure)... and wait for a citizen ceremony date will be mailed out.. then I had a letter telling me of the date - this was the longest wait.

The ceremony was just your usual waffle with the mayor and other councillors droning on , and on , and on and on ( I kind of warmed to her in a way her lol).. you were then required to swear the oath.. we all stood up together ( actually we didn't - one lot of people swore by god.. the other like myself opted for the non god bit) and read the oath. Then you were called up individually to collect your certificate off the mayor and grab a free tree or two ( I'm serious... become a citizen and they'll give you a tree..lol) . and that was it... I managed to escape right after the giving out of certificate ( I had the best seat.. right next to the exit door, had they known anything about me , they wouldn't have given me this seat..lol ) .. others stayed behind to listen to music and such, with free food..cold sandwiches and such . the whole process took me less than 6 months . It depends on your council mostly and when they hold the ceremonies, as that tends to be the longest wait in the process.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/ ( gov site where you can apply online)

and here is my certificate to show you that I'm now an official Aussie ..lol
:scared:

P.s , signed photo's - I actually got my vet to sign mine ( they are allowed to do it too) , my bank manager wouldn't ( I've recently changed branches .. and my new bank manager, said I don't know you and refused to sign them.. well thanks for nothing, don't you just hate these friendly bank managers)
Attached Thumbnails Becoming a citizen-citizenship.jpg  

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 22nd 2004 at 5:50 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Ceri

thanks for that Ceri - very helpful

nice certificate - did you wall mount it??!!
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 5:55 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

thanks for that Ceri - very helpful

nice certificate - did you wall mount it??!!
No, it's in a dark folder tucked out of the way, I've got them scanned and stored on disc just like a lot of my important documents and photo's just in case of a fire or something back at the house . Apparently they are not easily replaced according to the mayor ( I think she thinks her signature may be worth something).

Anyway, it's a very simple procedure. And if you are entitled to become one, I'd say do it online at the gov site , pretty straight forward. .. nothing to worry about.

cheers
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 6:24 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
Wow, it's exactly the same as the one my dad has, from 1990!!!

Unfortunetly I don't have my own, my brother and I are just mentioned on the back of it Boring!

My dad's was also tucked far away, I only found it recently!
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

xxsparklesxx is an unknown quantity at this point

You do still get to keep your British passport though don't you??
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 6:51 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by xxsparklesxx
You do still get to keep your British passport though don't you??
Yep

2 passports, dual citizenship

Walla
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Another quick question on this....are there any downsides to becoming an Aussie citizen ?
As far as I can tell, you retain your UK passport so I can't think why everybody doesn't go for it given that it's so easy to do and the bonus is that you get dual citizenship.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 7:28 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Another quick question on this....are there any downsides to becoming an Aussie citizen ?
As far as I can tell, you retain your UK passport so I can't think why everybody doesn't go for it given that it's so easy to do and the bonus is that you get dual citizenship.
You have to vote.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 7:32 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Yes you must vote. I don't believe in compulsory voting. Also of course you can be called up to war if they ever brought that back.

There are no benefits of changing your PR to citizenship if you are planning to stay here for good (unless you want to run for PM that is ).. it's just that you don't have to get a return visa if you're in and out of the country after your travel date has expired on your PR visa.

Personally if I was staying here I would not have taken out citizenship ever. ..Just stayed PR. Personally, I don't see the point of becoming one if you plan to stay in Aus.

I'm just keeping doors open that's all for business and any future kids who will have an extra choice.

cheers
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 7:41 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Also, if you are a PR and commit a serious crime you will probably be deported after you get out of jail.

This won't happen if you are a citizen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.