Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Becoming a citizen

Becoming a citizen

Old Jun 21st 2004, 10:17 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

The biggest difference between US states and Australians is taxation. Most US states levy an income tax as well as a general goods tax. Texas, where I live, is one of 8 or 9 that don't have an income tax. However, they have a 8.25% tax on nearly everything apart from produce, milk, bread and the like.

States here are a lot less dependent on the Fed. for handouts than the Aussie states are.

Australian states apparently reserve the right to levy an income tax but don't in practice. Though, after living in the cheap place that is NSW, I'm surprised they don't.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 10:18 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Becoming a citizen

Originally posted by Simone
Cool, thanks!
Don't have AUD55 to spare right now though

BP, I have hardly any knowledge of this, but I have heard of Dutch people moving to Belgium in the past for tax reasons.
I think somethings changed though, I thought I heard, but not sure. I also thought Spain is now attractive for some people, but not sure....
(great help I am )
For those who have already made ones money moving tax regimes may make sense and that has always happened. My point is that there is little tax competition between European nations. People here are not moving to OZ to pay lower income tax.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 10:20 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by bondipom
For those who have already made ones money moving tax regimes may make sense and that has always happened. My point is that there is little tax competition between European nations. People here are not moving to OZ to pay lower income tax.
They're definitely paying less GST and alcohol tariffs than some European nations.

/waves hello to Norway and Sweden!
Old Jun 21st 2004, 10:35 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Ah right, get it, thanks
Old Jun 21st 2004, 11:02 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

NorFolk Island

TAXATION

Federal income tax laws extend to Norfolk Island. However, income derived by residents from sources within the Territory is generally exempt from federal income tax. Other Federal Government taxes, including the GST, do not apply to the Island.

IMMIGRATION

Norfolk Island has its own immigration regime which is administered under the Norfolk Island Immigration Act 1980. Visitors are deemed to hold a 30 day permit and may apply for extensions beyond that period (up to a maximum of 120 days from the date of entry). Further information can he obtained from the Immigration Officer, Norfolk Island Administration.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 11:20 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sunnysyd
Another quick question on this....are there any downsides to becoming an Aussie citizen ?
As far as I can tell, you retain your UK passport so I can't think why everybody doesn't go for it given that it's so easy to do and the bonus is that you get dual citizenship.
You have to vote, are eligible for jury service, can be prosecuted under oz criminal federal law, and may be viable for conscription or national service if they institute them...all of the above continue to apply to you as a UK citizen too! on the other hand, once you have been a citizen for 10 years you can apply for a job in the Oz secret service...and it means your kids are automatically eligible for citizenship.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 11:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As noted, Norfolk Island has its own immigration laws. Although Norfolk Islanders are Australian citizens and can live in Australia proper, the reverse is not true and an Australian passport does not give you the right to live in the territory.

Norfolk Island is outside Australia for the purposes of the Migration Act, but inside for the Citizenship Act. Flights to Norfolk Island leave from the international terminals of Australia's airports.

http://www.norfolk.gov.nf

Jeremy

Originally posted by Megalania
NorFolk Island

TAXATION

Federal income tax laws extend to Norfolk Island. However, income derived by residents from sources within the Territory is generally exempt from federal income tax. Other Federal Government taxes, including the GST, do not apply to the Island.

IMMIGRATION

Norfolk Island has its own immigration regime which is administered under the Norfolk Island Immigration Act 1980. Visitors are deemed to hold a 30 day permit and may apply for extensions beyond that period (up to a maximum of 120 days from the date of entry). Further information can he obtained from the Immigration Officer, Norfolk Island Administration.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 11:43 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

OECD: Total tax revenue as percentage of GDP

Sorted by ascending 2000 take:
Attached Thumbnails Becoming a citizen-tax-gdp.gif  
Old Jun 21st 2004, 11:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

While figures like this are useful as a general guide, there are a number of not-so-obvious distortions. Many countries with a high level of inward foreign investment (such as Ireland) have a GDP that's higher than the real level of national income and hence their tax burdens look lower than they really are.

One would also have to look into the detail of how taxes like compulsory 'social insurance' are treated. And also bear in mind that in some countries there are significant tax differences within the country itself, and different balances between direct and indirect taxes.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Megalania
OECD: Total tax revenue as percentage of GDP

Sorted by ascending 2000 take:
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:27 am
Banned

Originally posted by JAJ
While figures like this are useful as a general guide, there are a number of not-so-obvious distortions. Many countries with a high level of inward foreign investment (such as Ireland) have a GDP that's higher than the real level of national income and hence their tax burdens look lower than they really are.

One would also have to look into the detail of how taxes like compulsory 'social insurance' are treated. And also bear in mind that in some countries there are significant tax differences within the country itself, and different balances between direct and indirect taxes.

Jeremy
Page 3. SocSec included in Aus tax take?