Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

The son voted UK today ...if that counts!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by daisylilymum
The son voted UK today ...if that counts!
The problem is it is impossible to decide if Oz is for you after 7 days. IT would have been much better to send 10 family's to Oz for 3 months or even a year. At least it would have given a more realistic view. Still OZ shows are few and far between so we are happy enough (if they show Melbourne at least).
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

I know it's probably been said, but it 'cracks' me up that they make a decision based on a weeks stay, & just after they have watched their families recordings from back in the UK. Also, does anyone else think the relatives have come across a bit selfish in the recordings? I haven't seen too much 'encouragement' from their families/friends in the UK,
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charb
I know it's probably been said, but it 'cracks' me up that they make a decision based on a weeks stay, & just after they have watched their families recordings from back in the UK. Also, does anyone else think the relatives have come across a bit selfish in the recordings? I haven't seen too much 'encouragement' from their families/friends in the UK,
yes agree, it's so upsetting when they make the little kids cry over what they've said
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:38 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
yes agree, it's so upsetting when they make the little kids cry over what they've said
was it any good today....as our dvd recorder some how ended up on the wrong channel!! Seem to have a ghost.....again. C x
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
was it any good today....as our dvd recorder some how ended up on the wrong channel!! Seem to have a ghost.....again. C x
it was new south wales today, houses were expensive showed them a crappy apartment, for just under £200,000 it was about 45mins to sydney though, so that was probably why.
Queensland again on thursday
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:00 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shiels
You did not miss much I found todays the most boring so far, The couple did not want to get a mortage in OZ but looked at Sydney and then moaned about every house they were shown, too small, too dark, no view, too expensive

I think they would do better looking in other areas as she was a midwife so should be able to find a job in any state and homes would be cheaper.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Originally Posted by NeilCk
You did not miss much I found todays the most boring so far, The couple did not want to get a mortage in OZ but looked at Sydney and then moaned about every house they were shown, too small, too dark, no view, too expensive

I think they would do better looking in other areas as she was a midwife so should be able to find a job in any state and homes would be cheaper.
Absolutely agree with you. Todays was the most boring. Have enjoyed watching so far as its been good to see the different states. Makes me want to go even sooner, J
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:11 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jackie barden
Absolutely agree with you. Todays was the most boring. Have enjoyed watching so far as its been good to see the different states. Makes me want to go even sooner, J

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was boring.

Thursdays is QLD, I'm looking forward to that one
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gidxg03
The problem is it is impossible to decide if Oz is for you after 7 days. IT would have been much better to send 10 family's to Oz for 3 months or even a year. At least it would have given a more realistic view. Still OZ shows are few and far between so we are happy enough (if they show Melbourne at least).
I think somewhere else on this thread or the other one someone listed which places they are going. Looks like they didn't go to Melbourne
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jackie barden

didn't enjoy todays as much ... not sure why , properties where nothing much for their buget and it was a tight budet at that .
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charb
The families are not selfish they are not the ones being 'sold' the most picturesque images of australia, they are thinking about the emotions and heartbreak that goes when you live on the opposite sides of the world to the people you care about.

We have just returned from the UK, seeing family even 6 years on the heartbreak and emotions are just as strong. The reality of it all has kicked in too, due to family illness weve been twice in 12 months the airfares alone from australia have cost us $19,000 , hopping back and forward to UK is not an option for most families.

We watched the series, found it very annoying at times. EG. Why when cost of living is discussed were the only factors given dining out and free parking at the beach, why didnt they go into what it will cost for healthcare for your kids or a grocery shop or an airfare back to the UK. Didnt see anything about schools either although I really felt if that had been done it would have focused on the pretty colours of the school uniforms rather than the standard of education. Climate was very glossed over too, didnt see any filming in bushfire, soaring temps, drought etc. Jobs info seemed to lack of a lot of detail, licences for a start.

Nice glossy carefully chosen footage of select parts of australia, not really that useful in terms of day to day life here.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Andy & Max is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scott&rachel
didn't enjoy todays as much ... not sure why , properties where nothing much for their buget and it was a tight budet at that .
Yes our dvd recorded the wrong channel this morning but if the last two weeks are to go by then im glad.
1 week isn't enough people need more than 1 week to see if the life down under is for them.
some of the snakes the other week seemed to me to be staged managed i mean snakes are supposed to be shy so why did they allow themselves to be filmed breaking into that house in perth
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:44 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

It seems to me that this programme is "light entertainment" and I think that is exactly what it is supposed to be.It is not a "hard hitting" documentry about the reality of living in Australia and ,whilst the families featured only have 1 week to make a decision ,I dont believe for one minute that they base their decision on this one week alone.
It is reasonable viewing over a cuppa in the morning and nothing more to me.I am enjoying it for what it is and it sure beats watching The Tweenies with my little boy!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alana and Arrons mum
It seems to me that this programme is "light entertainment" and I think that is exactly what it is supposed to be.It is not a "hard hitting" documentry about the reality of living in Australia and ,whilst the families featured only have 1 week to make a decision ,I dont believe for one minute that they base their decision on this one week alone.
It is reasonable viewing over a cuppa in the morning and nothing more to me.I am enjoying it for what it is and it sure beats watching The Tweenies with my little boy!
This said, the programme is on national TV and is very interesting for lots of BE users and people are allowed to criticize/compliment the families and the programme itself. Others wise why bother putting it on TV? Once it's on TV it's public property (much like that stuff that washed up on the beach yesterday lol)
For me the show itself has raised a point to the desire for a more in depth, less glossy programme of this ilk to be made!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.