Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The families are not selfish they are not the ones being 'sold' the most picturesque images of australia, they are thinking about the emotions and heartbreak that goes when you live on the opposite sides of the world to the people you care about.
Don't get me wrong, I know only too well that there is nothing like that 'empty' feeling when you walk through those damn doors in departures. Maybe I am looking too much into it, as TBH my OH's family are not as supportive as I think they should be. I understand they will miss him terribly, but the way I look at it is that he has his own family now & we need to live our lives & do what's best for us. Moan over! As I said, I'm probably looking out for it too much!

Also, know what you mean - it's all good & well saying 'it's only a day away', but when it's bad news, or ill health, it isn't that easy.

Last edited by charb; Jan 23rd 2007 at 10:14 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:51 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The families are not selfish they are not the ones being 'sold' the most picturesque images of australia, they are thinking about the emotions and heartbreak that goes when you live on the opposite sides of the world to the people you care about.

We have just returned from the UK, seeing family even 6 years on the heartbreak and emotions are just as strong. The reality of it all has kicked in too, due to family illness weve been twice in 12 months the airfares alone from australia have cost us $19,000 , hopping back and forward to UK is not an option for most families.

We watched the series, found it very annoying at times. EG. Why when cost of living is discussed were the only factors given dining out and free parking at the beach, why didnt they go into what it will cost for healthcare for your kids or a grocery shop or an airfare back to the UK. Didnt see anything about schools either although I really felt if that had been done it would have focused on the pretty colours of the school uniforms rather than the standard of education. Climate was very glossed over too, didnt see any filming in bushfire, soaring temps, drought etc. Jobs info seemed to lack of a lot of detail, licences for a start.

Nice glossy carefully chosen footage of select parts of australia, not really that useful in terms of day to day life here.
It does make you wonder what the program makers motives are though. What agenda are they following to forever actually try and only push the positives of Australia with no or little mention of the negatives you have just written about. It's almost like they are in cohoots with the Aus tourist board and Dima to try and get people here. Actually I do wonder if at some high level there might actually be a gov't policy to encourage people to leave Britian for Oz, Helps ease the presure on the UK whilst bulstering a weak population here.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:53 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I watched this programme yestrday, it's not very good at all
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Goodi is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that this programme is light entertainment. Im not sure who the BBC want to capture as their audience, I certainly don't feel it is those that are serious about moving there. I assume its more those who are sat at home on a dreary January morning, with nothing better to do than dream "wouldn't it be nice". I feel there is a definate need for a documentary that could follow real families and include all the ups and downs, and include the important factors like healthcare/education/renting homes on arrival, and the pitfalls people can face/the costs involved in terms of shipping belongings, and pets, finding work etc etc I am starting to beleive that this is just another programme centred around buying and looking at houses.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:25 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fraser
I watched this programme yestrday, it's not very good at all

Have to agree it is not that good, but I still want to watch it each day, to see what the people are like.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:20 am
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

hi i have watched just two episodes, a bit annoyed i have missed most, as my hubbi and me and our four young kids are in the process of moving to oz.the first episode i watched was the couple with two young boys moving to gold coast.they had a healthy budget which deterb me a bit as we live here in a ex council house wont get any equity for 5 years as we cannot sell till then.neverthe less still going ahead with process, todays program in perth the couple and teenage girl and young boy are more in our position and funny enough came from bournemouth so do we.It looks like they found it to maybe a struggle as wages as a painter and decorator were not high,and the cost of a morgage for them would be 100% one, it looks like they opted for uk, but the lovley bungalow with pool ,they were renting was only £450 amonth in perth compared to their £850 rent here in bournemouth,i think their daughter would miss her friends back home but i must say i would not hesitate to go, the uk is majorley falling apart,got to be a better way of life for them and their kids, they are struggeling here, so what the hell i would rather struggle there, in the sun!.....
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:46 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I found todays show confusing.

Why give a family with no equity money, lower waged job who say they cannot afford to live or buy a house in this country why give them the second most expensive place in Australia to look around and show them what they cant afford.

At first I thought the families actually chose where they went but according to the presenter she said to them "you dont know where we have picked for you or where you are going " then when she said Perth I actually found myself shouting at the TV "well how they going to afford that then"

Not very realistic me thinks.

Kaye
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:52 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wardy2

Why give a family with no equity money, lower waged job who say they cannot afford to live or buy a house in this country why give them the second most expensive place in Australia to look around and show them what they cant afford.

At first I thought the families actually chose where they went but according to the presenter she said to them "you dont know where we have picked for you or where you are going " then when she said Perth I actually found myself shouting at the TV "well how they going to afford that then"

Kaye
Totally agree with you.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched 2 episodes from last week, the Bootons from Shropshire & the couple from Lancashire moving to Sydney. We found both annoying and all I can recommend for all of them is a 4x2 upside the head. Might knock some sense into them.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Goodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Kaye
Totally agree!!!

Not only do they give them the 2nd most expensive place to live, but show them properties to buy that they clearly can't afford. Absolute Madness!!!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

i found todays show the best so far. YES showing them places they couldnt afford did seem completely crazy BUT it helped me out no end. i have been worrying about how i will manage on my own with the kids but feel a bit more optimistic now. i have about £60k equity in my house, a lot of that will get eaten away at just GETTING there but i now dont feel like i am completly crazy. The house they could rent for £400 would suit me to the ground but im not fussed about a pool, and that house that they scoffed at cos it needed work doing on it looked great to me! I can just see myself there doing a spot of DIY
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:39 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Kaye
Totally agree - surely it would be better to let them choose the area that they were interested in, presumably they have done some research (?) and at least they can see if it is feasible in that area.
I know that the programme doesn't show all the crap bits but surely they do see a bit of that.
Also is it me or do they show a crappy house then a medium one and then a too expensive one on every show?

Anyway it may be a load of boll*x but I nearly peed my pants when they had the midwife on yesterday - I am going for a 'real' reccie in April and SO excited to be looking around Oz maternity units if that was anything to go by.

Anyway there isn't anything else worth doing at 9:15 on a cold, snowy morning except of course scrap old porridge out of bowls Better than Trisha and Jeremy Kyle (oh I suppose I should be doing my dissertation - yeh I knew there was something )

Last edited by Babycatcher; Jan 24th 2007 at 5:47 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:43 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
This said, the programme is on national TV and is very interesting for lots of BE users and people are allowed to criticize/compliment the families and the programme itself. Others wise why bother putting it on TV? Once it's on TV it's public property (much like that stuff that washed up on the beach yesterday lol)
For me the show itself has raised a point to the desire for a more in depth, less glossy programme of this ilk to be made!

I agree ,and I would love to see a realistic programme similar to this .My point was that it seems some people expected more from this programme .The time slot on daytime TV may have given some clue to the nature of the programme!
Everyone is ,however, entitled to their opinion and it has proved a good talking point at least.I dont think it should be taked too seriously.
Andy
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:45 pm
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

To Daunted.......hi Hopefully Although I Have Applied For Skilled Visa Through Hubby Who Is Carpenter,i Wont Be Able To Go For 5 Yrs Until My House Can Be Sold Hopefully By Then Will Have £60/70,000 Equity,i Do Think You Need Something To Go With As Like You Say Alot Of That Gets Eaten Up By Going Flights Etc, And I Got Pets To Ship Too, Hope Tomorrows Show Is Good And Of Interest, I Noticed One Say Perth Is Second Most Expensive To Live In My Book Its: Listed The Cheapest ???i Wont Be Going To Perth Then Mind You If A Permanent Resident Dont You Get $7,000 Towards The Cost Of Buying A House In Perth,i Am Thinking Of Queensland To Move Does Anyone Know If The Sunshine Coast Has Been Shown Yet??

Last edited by graciebluecat; Jan 24th 2007 at 5:51 pm. Reason: WANTED TO ADD SOMETHING
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

jopaul will become famous soon enoughjopaul will become famous soon enough

hi

i have taped the shows every day to watch with OH and i still havent seen a Melbourne one! did i miss it As thats where we hopefully want to go to. They have shown a few from Perth now, what about Melbourne!!!,and todays show, i agree was a little unfair on the family, poor things. still i hope they go for it.

Jo x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.