Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:40 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Hi,

Every program they show the couple around a house of the same value as their house in the UK, saying "They could afford that", but in most cases the the jobs they try out mean a drop in money (Like todays program a 50% drop).
Please correct me if I'm wrong but a lower income means a smaller mortage than the one they currently have in the UK so probably will have to buy a cheaper house than the ones they are shown.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
And did anyone else spot that on today's programme Nadia Sawalha clearly has no idea that Queensland is a state rather than a city/town? She talked about how the family will be visiting Brisbane and how the BBC booked them accommodation in "nearby Queensland".
I noticed this on the list of possible destinations - why are all the others cities then there is one state? Why is it Sydney not NSW?
Old Jan 19th 2007, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

At least they are going to Queensland, what happened to Melbourne???? Maybe they missed it down in the corner of the map
Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:51 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the4ofus
I would love for my husband to see these programmes too. Does anyone know if they are repeated on .... say BBC3, or the likes?
No, not repeated. But the programmes will continue for another three weeks. So, set your video recorder (sky+, dvd recorder, whatever), then you can sit back in the evenings and enjooy ...

Gina
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

There was a bit of a difference in the house they rented for the family today in Brisbane, to the one the other day in Adelaide
Also why did they rent them the house 'near Brisbane' when they hadn't chosen the city life they'd chose to live the coast life?????????
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
Am I the only one who thinks these programmes are trying to put people off going?
I think they're trying to make the whole process look extremely easy and that only issue are flies, missing family/friends and having to take a possible pay cut.
But is supposed to be entertaining and not informative so I suppose it's doing that.
You may well be the only person who thinks it's trying to put people off, I though a "New Life Downunder" did a far better job at putting people off as some of them tried to escape their lives by moving but were still unhappy as they took lots of problems with them.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:53 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
I think they're trying to make the whole process look extremely easy and that only issue are flies, missing family/friends and having to take a possible pay cut.
But is supposed to be entertaining and not informative so I suppose it's doing that.
You may well be the only person who thinks it's trying to put people off, I though a "New Life Downunder" did a far better job at putting people off as some of them tried to escape their lives by moving but were still unhappy as they took lots of problems with them.
mm I guess its just the 'ooo how will his wife react when he tells her they dont earn as much money' and the videos of family sobbing at the end shouting dont go and they say ooo it's a very hard decision now.

surely these people know all this before going?
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

I have been surprised by the people's shock at the level of salary out there - have they not done any research on that aspect at all???

That's one of the first things we looked into. No point going if we aren't going to be better off all round.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:08 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
I have been surprised by the people's shock at the level of salary out there - have they not done any research on that aspect at all???

That's one of the first things we looked into. No point going if we aren't going to be better off all round.
Reckon they must have no ones that daft, it'll be the BBC telling em what to say etc
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice

Ginauk - just watching the Brissie one now and its hilarious - they have rented them a house in "queensland, near brisbane!!!"

Surely the BBC can do better than this!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RachelH
Ginauk - just watching the Brissie one now and its hilarious - they have rented them a house in "queensland, near brisbane!!!"

Surely the BBC can do better than this!
It does make sense to say that they rented a house in Queensland, near Brisbane. Just like you could say someone has a house in Devon, near Cullumpton. Or in NSW, near to Sydney.
The house is in one area, and more specifically next to one particular city/town.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice

but the way she says it makes it sound like Queensland is a suburb of Brisbane.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RachelH
but the way she says it makes it sound like Queensland is a suburb of Brisbane.
Bless, maybe she didn't practise the autocue script!
I still don't get why they offered the entire state of QLD, but just Sydney in NSW. What about other parts of NSW?! Do people really think that QLD is one destination, like a really big town?
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

can you imagine if they sent them to mt isa or somewhere!!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
There was a bit of a difference in the house they rented for the family today in Brisbane, to the one the other day in Adelaide
Also why did they rent them the house 'near Brisbane' when they hadn't chosen the city life they'd chose to live the coast life?????????
I noticed that too.......cheep skates. Loved the last house with the home cinema

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.