Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:45 am
u only get 1 shot

B@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to all
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by Stephen
Thats one bloody offensive and racist thing to say mate.

This 'continuous onslot of EU residents' as you call them are just people like yourselves who want to get a better life. You want sunshine, they want a decent standard or living.

I suppose you would classify us Irish as part of this group who have been emigrating to the UK for the past 100 years? Just like the 'onslot' of EU citizens, the Irish were only looking to trade a hard days work for a decent wage. No different from the Poles, Latvians or Bulgarians.

Please do yourself a favour and omit your offensive undertones from your vocabulary. This reminds me of that other show...what was it....'A place down under'.....where that guy who went to the Gold Coast with the Gym Instructor and 2 step kids.......well he came out with the clanger......""You cant move in London now for all the asylum seekers" (or words to that effect)

Blarff.
Thank you and your post. It proves exactly what I said. You can't touch on this subject as you get classed as a racist. That’s why you don't hear about it on day time TV. If you hadn't taken my sentence out of contents and finish the who sentence which goes on to say "milking this country dry" So I don't class "trade a hard days work for a decent wage" Milking the system.
At the end of the day the EU residents are only doing what I’m trying to do, and that’s to improve their own quality of life. If they can do that by coming to the UK good for them. I was just try to get over the point of showing family/friends ties here back at home is going to be the main reason for most of the TV shows contents. What else hold you back from going half way around the world. Anyway 5 minutes showing tears and hart ache makes much better viewing.

Paul
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Cut out the offensive, racist and personal remarks and I won't close the thread. carry on like this and the result will be inevitable.
Its your choice, you've been warned.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B@lDeR$
As I’m sure you know as you are Aussie bound that you don’t have loads of equity in their UK homes once you have paid out for the visa application, air fair, crate to ship all your worldly goods, moving of pets, selling your house ect the list goes on & on. YES the pound is good at the moment but when you are there earning the $ it all ends up being apples for apples. So NO we are not looking at this through rose coloured glasses. Yes I did consider moving to another part of the British isle but I failed to find somewhere with 8 hours sunshine a day. Plus does the BBC really want to open a can of worms on day time TV with 20 families saying how much they are fed up with the continuous onslort of EU residents milking this country dry?
What you didn’t see on the TV show was my wife having to give up her place at university as a trainee nurse because we couldn’t afford the child care and the fact there was no job post availed at the end of her training. (Where’s the incentive in that) You didn’t see me travelling for nearly 4 hours a day to and from work with 1 hour of that on the London tube and when I do get to work the building I work in is number 1 site for our bearded friends to have a BBQ.
My guess is there may be a series 2 where they go back to find or be told by the family feachered in this series what pros/cons they have come across whilst moving to Aus.
I would like to hear your reason for going to Aus
Paul Larner
My reasons
Been there loved it, very different to UK, have lots of family there and have family in process of moving over there as we speak, in 5 years we'll be the only ones left here (if we stayed). I personally love where I live 25 mins from work, beautiful countryside all around, yes weather is very changeable
, "but variety is the spice of life", love snow and rain and sunshine so get it all. I moved from another part of UK 6 years ago to where I am now and I'm very glad I did.
I'm having more of a dig at the programme than the people featured, was expecting a bit more depth than what has been shown so far. So not meaning to offend anyone just general comments on how easy they make it all seems and that they have chosen people with a house to sell, which does make the whole process far easier. Can recall new life down under, woman from Blackpool went with £3000 and her luggage, that is far more of a story in my personal opinion!
I've noticed someone on other thread has taken offence on your behalf, I'm glad to see you're not childish like they're being and that you're taking time to answer and go into more detail than the programme has, much appreciated.

Hope once you get there you can keep us all informed of how you and your family are getting along! Good luck
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice

I agree that there is lots of repetition on the show but thats fairly typical for daytime TV and some of it is a bit contrived but as a lighthearted look at an Aussie lifestyle its fun to watch. I am on maternity leave so get the chance to watch it every day!

I hope those that have appeared on the show will keep us updated on their progress, its always nice to hear how things turn out. Especially interested in your story Paul as you've taken the time to post on here.

Its interesting dont you think that so far they have all picked Australia - do you think of the 20 families that any of them will say the UK? I would wager if they do it would only be a couple out of the 20, anyone want to lay bets on it!!

And Aus Bound - whereabouts in NY are you?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RachelH
I agree that there is lots of repetition on the show but thats fairly typical for daytime TV and some of it is a bit contrived but as a lighthearted look at an Aussie lifestyle its fun to watch. I am on maternity leave so get the chance to watch it every day!

I hope those that have appeared on the show will keep us updated on their progress, its always nice to hear how things turn out. Especially interested in your story Paul as you've taken the time to post on here.

Its interesting dont you think that so far they have all picked Australia - do you think of the 20 families that any of them will say the UK? I would wager if they do it would only be a couple out of the 20, anyone want to lay bets on it!!

And Aus Bound - whereabouts in NY are you?
In a Village close to Thirsk. See you're from Harrogate so must be Posh lol
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice

HI Aus Bound - of course I am posh, I wouldnt be living here otherwise. Ha haaaaaaa. Although if you're in a village location (highly desirable) you too must be posh, no?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RachelH
HI Aus Bound - of course I am posh, I wouldnt be living here otherwise. Ha haaaaaaa. Although if you're in a village location (highly desirable) you too must be posh, no?
No if I was Posh I'd have chosen Harrogate, get a far higher class resident there. Lots of LOCAL people here, very set in there ways and wary of outsiders like myself
Old Jan 18th 2007, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

beaumonts is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I am afraid I agree with Paul as this is one of the reasons (with plenty of others) I am after emmigrating. Its a well know fact that the majority of oz population are in fact immigrants and we will be living in multi coltural country. The problem is the Uk is not monitoring the amount of people coming to live here and our limited resources are going to run out sooner if this is not sorted out. For example only last week via the news we were told we only had 9 years of land fill left and we have to recycle more ( which I totally agree). Letting more people into this country surely is going to increase the amount of refuse. Another issue is our state pensions what is going to happen in years to come when there are too many people collecting their pensions and not enough money to pay them. I totally agree to help people in need ie asylam seekers but we also need to remember we have to look after our own people and generations too. It SHOULD be as hard to get into this country as it is to get into OZ.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

watched todays wanted down under and seemed to enjoy this one, seemed more real, and it was good to see that we are not the only family who does not own a £200.000 plus home, and was great to see the reality of propertys that are in around what we could afford, also its not the leaving family and friends that bothers me ,its the gaining a new family thats going to be living and always around us, yes its the FLIES did you see them flying allover there dinner urgggggggggggggh and also as nichola said in todays show that they noticed the cost of living such as groceries are not much cheaper than the u.k so ive found todays show more of an eye opener than the previous shows
Old Jan 18th 2007, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

uksniper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
My reasons
Been there loved it, very different to UK, have lots of family there and have family in process of moving over there as we speak, in 5 years we'll be the only ones left here (if we stayed). I personally love where I live 25 mins from work, beautiful countryside all around, yes weather is very changeable
, "but variety is the spice of life", love snow and rain and sunshine so get it all. I moved from another part of UK 6 years ago to where I am now and I'm very glad I did.
I'm having more of a dig at the programme than the people featured, was expecting a bit more depth than what has been shown so far. So not meaning to offend anyone just general comments on how easy they make it all seems and that they have chosen people with a house to sell, which does make the whole process far easier. Can recall new life down under, woman from Blackpool went with £3000 and her luggage, that is far more of a story in my personal opinion!
I've noticed someone on other thread has taken offence on your behalf, I'm glad to see you're not childish like they're being and that you're taking time to answer and go into more detail than the programme has, much appreciated.

Hope once you get there you can keep us all informed of how you and your family are getting along! Good luck
A very well written, grown up post. Well done and thanks for taking the time to write it.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 5:24 pm
skye

certainly more depth in todays prog. Flies? what flies?

Old Jan 18th 2007, 5:28 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skye
She had to move inside to eat her food and get away from the flies!!!! Yuk! C x
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:09 pm
Banned

winnut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skye
I don't know what you lot are talking about I must have been watching a different programme, I sat with my family watching this and had the life sucked out of me, by the couple whinging on. I can only hope that if we are lucky enough to get to Oz to start a new life, with new challenges that I do not have the misfortune of bumping in to either of these characters because at this moment in time if I did meet them in Sydney I'd have to resist a very strong urge to throw myself of the top of Sydney harbour bridge.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

soniap is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiels
Ian Harrop without a doubt. Based in Oxford tel number 01993824111 www.ianharrop.co.uk Good Luck C x
Many thanks. Ian Harrop has also been recommended by someone else. I will give them a ring.

Sonia xx
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beaumonts
Hi,
our limited resources are going to run out sooner if this is not sorted out. For example only last week via the news we were told we only had 9 years of land fill left and we have to recycle more ( which I totally agree). Letting more people into this country surely is going to increase the amount of refuse. Another issue is our state pensions what is going to happen in years to come when there are too many people collecting their pensions and not enough money to pay them..
I agree with you that the UK should try to control immigration more than it currently does, but we do need immigration in the UK - in particular as we need working people to come in and support our aging population, just like in Oz. Any tax-paying immigrant is helping to support our current society's pensions, NHS, etc. The refuse issue will have to be dealt with, of course, but the answer is not to stop letting more people in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.