Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by northernbird
I know them well and they truly are a lovely family and enjoying life. My Christmas dinner was courtesy of his butchers!
Please tell them they came across really well, what a great couple so down to earth and realistic. Good on dad for giving up his business for his kids, they will not grow up and say " i'm so glad we never saw daddy but at least we had loads of toys and the latest trainers" but "we had a great childhood and i know who my dad is and what great fun he was!"
The expats mates looked great too, i hope we can get that when we come over. I bet you make some really deep friendships as you all have something in common and rely on eachother as you would a family.
And their house looked beautiful, what great taste they have.
Good luck to them,
Claire.x
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:51 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I know them well and they truly are a lovely family and enjoying life. My Christmas dinner was courtesy of his butchers!
So have you been into Mondos then?

If so, is that guy Vince really that loud?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazclaire
Please tell them they came across really well, what a great couple so down to earth and realistic. Good on dad for giving up his business for his kids, they will not grow up and say " i'm so glad we never saw daddy but at least we had loads of toys and the latest trainers" but "we had a great childhood and i know who my dad is and what great fun he was!"
The expats mates looked great too, i hope we can get that when we come over. I bet you make some really deep friendships as you all have something in common and rely on eachother as you would a family.
And their house looked beautiful, what great taste they have.
Good luck to them,
Claire.x
They will be pleased they came across like that.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:55 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Did you have sausage ?
I would love to say he gave me a great bit piece of pork Bix love He gave me a lovely piece of beef which was grand on the bbq.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:55 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
So have you been into Mondos then?

If so, is that guy Vince really that loud?
I go into Mondos when I have some spare cash! Yes he is that loud in the flesh.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:56 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I go into Mondos when I have some spare cash! Yes he is that loud in the flesh.
He must have some amazing sex life to be that happy all the time!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:01 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

He must have some amazing sex life to be that happy all the time!
Praps he's getting the pork
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:02 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Bix
Praps he's getting the pork
You were desperate to use that line weren't you?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:07 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Libby1971
Oh the job thing was a load of rubbish!

We were told right at the very beginning that we'll (BBC) arrange for you to soend a day in a school to find out more about it. When we arrived for filming with Nadia it suddenly became a job offer. B*llocks was it! It was just for us to go in there and have a nosey, get some publicity for the school, which is apparently one of Queenslands newest and best, certainly led by a powerhouse called Lee.

Lee was great for us and helped us ALOT, but there was no job offer. No-one would have offered a job to someone who didn't have teacher registration, etc or had never even had their resume. Amazing what you can do with editing, isn't it?

Teaching in Adelaide isn't that much better than over by you...my contract finished in October and I have done 6 days supply since then. One teacher I know is now caring for OAPs, 2 are going back, two others aren't working either. Shocking! But I firmly believe that the right job is out nthere somewhere, I hope it's in teaching.
I thought that might have been the case. My first day of supply at a school came almost one year after arriving in Brisbane. However I couldn't take it as I had moved up to North Queensland a few weeks beforehand to take up a permanent job in a subject I had never taught before. As you might have guessed we were desperate at that point.

Before that I had worked supply as a childcare assistant in daycare centres where according to the only teaching agency in Brisbane I was only allowed to work in them as I had a teaching degree. However I was paid at the rate of the lowest rung in childcare and my day consisted entirely of mopping floors, scrubbing toilets, changing nappies and disinfecting toys. I am not saying I am afraid of work like that but it is a bit cheeky of a teaching agency to send qualified teachers to do it on the lowest possible wage. It sort of brought home to me that there is no teaching shortage in Australia. Which is why I get a little annoyed at the titles of WDU where they say teachers are wanted down under.

Good luck with finding that permanent job in Adelaide. It looks like you have found a lovely place in Adelaide and I am sure that the contacts you are making will lead to something.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:09 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

You were desperate to use that line weren't you?

This site is sadly lacking a suitable "yes" smilie.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice

Fantastic family today. In fact im really enjoying the revisited shows far more than the actual series this year. Lovely to see the families making a go of things out in Australia, makes you realise the dream life really is possible......
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:13 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Bix

This site is sadly lacking
I wouldn't like to say.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baby75
Any body watch todays I thought its was very good the family are really making a good go of it and are very realistic but getting out there and meeting new people yesterdays started out good but i couldn't believe it when they decided to go home if you were feeling iffy about going yesterdays would make you really think but todays was much better glad i got to see it
I thought they seemed really nice and seemed to have the right attitude. The only slightly worrying thing I thought was when they said the mortgage on that house would be $3000 per month and earlier Nadia had said that his wages in the butchers would be about £20k ($50k) with overtime! By the time he's taxed on that it works out about $800 per week, that would only just cover the mortgage nevermind all the other outgoings. We only had a really small mortgage of $75k in Perth and my husband was a brickie and earn't decent money and we were still always struggling so how could you possible have a mortgage that big unless you were on really good money?? A lot of this programme is unrealistic but it's interesting to watch.
Jo
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:53 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by clougherty family
I thought they seemed really nice and seemed to have the right attitude. The only slightly worrying thing I thought was when they said the mortgage on that house would be $3000 per month and earlier Nadia had said that his wages in the butchers would be about £20k ($50k) with overtime! By the time he's taxed on that it works out about $800 per week, that would only just cover the mortgage nevermind all the other outgoings. We only had a really small mortgage of $75k in Perth and my husband was a brickie and earn't decent money and we were still always struggling so how could you possible have a mortgage that big unless you were on really good money?? A lot of this programme is unrealistic but it's interesting to watch.
Jo
They don't own that house, they rent it.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:54 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oz_Dreamer
Fantastic family today. In fact im really enjoying the revisited shows far more than the actual series this year. Lovely to see the families making a go of things out in Australia, makes you realise the dream life really is possible......

It's just how you want it to turn out yourself isn't it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.