Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Libby1971 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Just wanted to say that Victor Harbor is a great place - if you live there and are about 80. If you're aren't aged 80, then your options are somewhat limited. Victor Harbor is classed as being in the country. Great for days out and the beach but very little else.

While the dream is to be living like near a beach with great weather, nice house, family time, I guarantee that we all plan to have a little more going on, especially where kids are concerned. After 2 months of basically hubbie and kids to talk to, I yearned for a more varied topic of conversations and different faces. I agree that a month is a short period of time but to make the big decision to go back so soon, takes I think more courage than staying. I wouldn't go back partly because I think some people are waiting for me to!

Re: jobs and pay, the cost of living isn't as cheap as when we went to Brisbane but we still live okay on one wage which is almost equivalent to the UK. We are on slightly less but both of us had to work full time to make ends meet there, now there isn't that pressure. The wages here aren't great - working in a call centre pays about $35-40k and to get this you have to meet so many targets. The main way to extend your money is to lessen your outgoings and as poms the easiest way to do that is by using your equity to buy as much of a house as you can. No mortgage means your money goes further.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:43 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Libby1971
The main way to extend your money is to lessen your outgoings and as poms the easiest way to do that is by using your equity to buy as much of a house as you can. No mortgage means your money goes further.

And when it takes anything from six months to a year (like in my case trying to find any teaching work in QLD) your equity vanishes pretty quickly.

I am interested though after watching your programme what the case was with those jobs they said were available in Brisbane. If you don't mind me asking, were they actual job offers or just examples of vacancies because when I was looking in 2004-5 the competition was pretty fierce for anything remotely near Brisbane? So I find it surprising that good schools like those would be looking overseas for recruitment when they have hundreds of willing applicants at home.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

adamsml is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scotlandtooz
I think the key thing was when she said that they were trying to keep busy and not think about missing anyone. If you don't deal with emotions they will end up overwhelming you, and you may do things that are a little more drastic than you might have otherwise. Agree with what everyone else has said too.

I watched all of these last week when I was off work sick (full of cold), but this is the first one that hub watched too. Just my luck that it was the one that ended in tears! He's spent the whole night analysing it. But I suppose its best to think of the worst that can happen as well as the best.
Just wanted to say to those who have not been to Adelaide that Victor Harbor is really quiet. We visited last xmas and although it is a lovely day out could not imagine living there as it is about 50 mins drive from Adelaide. The town only has about 12000 occupants and it sort of resembled a ghost town after 5 p.m. AND we went at the beginning of the school hols there. Don't let it put you off Adelaide. We could not imagine living in Victor Harbor as is is almost the equivalent of a retirement location here. I am not surpised the family found it had nothing for them there.
If they are on here can they let me know how they got a rental so easily - did they get help from BBC. I was led to believe it was really hard to get a rental so quickly.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Libby1971 is on a distinguished road

Oh the job thing was a load of rubbish!

We were told right at the very beginning that we'll (BBC) arrange for you to soend a day in a school to find out more about it. When we arrived for filming with Nadia it suddenly became a job offer. B*llocks was it! It was just for us to go in there and have a nosey, get some publicity for the school, which is apparently one of Queenslands newest and best, certainly led by a powerhouse called Lee.

Lee was great for us and helped us ALOT, but there was no job offer. No-one would have offered a job to someone who didn't have teacher registration, etc or had never even had their resume. Amazing what you can do with editing, isn't it?

Teaching in Adelaide isn't that much better than over by you...my contract finished in October and I have done 6 days supply since then. One teacher I know is now caring for OAPs, 2 are going back, two others aren't working either. Shocking! But I firmly believe that the right job is out nthere somewhere, I hope it's in teaching.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:25 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

At page 120 I guess I am a bit late joining this thread but anyhoo…

We downloaded and watched the Asian couple who came to Perth in the last series and then the Larners (it was last night so I can still remember it) in the revisits.

I was actually quite impressed with both as it gave a realistic impression of Perth but some of the research left a bit to be desired though. I reckon that will be the only time I hear the mid-far north suburb of Iluka, one back from the ocean described as in the countryside or a "village"! (Do we have villages in Aus?)

And we were gobsmacked that they suggested Quinns Rocks to live when the woman was going to work in Subi 40 minutes away, needed to be close to home for picking up kids from childcare and who loves city life. Maybe that one was about trying to make someone choose not to come to balance it out.

The Asian couple seemed all about money and hectic life so I wonder how they came to be in Perth. 5 minutes on here would tell them it was the wrong place for them with our house prices and pace of life. One strange thing about that episode was that I recognised hardly any of the places in the background.

I recognised most places on the Larners, though, and even he looked very familiar. They seemed to have their heads screwed on, understood the pitfalls and should make a good fist of it I reckon, especially once he realised how to make a good living and not go back to working as an apprentice.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:13 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
At page 120 I guess I am a bit late joining this thread but anyhoo…

We downloaded and watched the Asian couple who came to Perth in the last series and then the Larners (it was last night so I can still remember it) in the revisits.

I was actually quite impressed with both as it gave a realistic impression of Perth but some of the research left a bit to be desired though. I reckon that will be the only time I hear the mid-far north suburb of Iluka, one back from the ocean described as in the countryside or a "village"! (Do we have villages in Aus?)

And we were gobsmacked that they suggested Quinns Rocks to live when the woman was going to work in Subi 40 minutes away, needed to be close to home for picking up kids from childcare and who loves city life. Maybe that one was about trying to make someone choose not to come to balance it out.

The Asian couple seemed all about money and hectic life so I wonder how they came to be in Perth. 5 minutes on here would tell them it was the wrong place for them with our house prices and pace of life. One strange thing about that episode was that I recognised hardly any of the places in the background.

I recognised most places on the Larners, though, and even he looked very familiar. They seemed to have their heads screwed on, understood the pitfalls and should make a good fist of it I reckon, especially once he realised how to make a good living and not go back to working as an apprentice.
I wish I could see at least afew of these programmes. I keep reading about them but have never seen one.

Don't get the highlighted bit though. We're in Iluka and it's far from a village, not even got a post box or a store! One back from the ocean and far north? What on earth does that mean?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:09 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Don't get the highlighted bit though. We're in Iluka and it's far from a village, not even got a post box or a store! One back from the ocean and far north? What on earth does that mean?
Yeah, that was my point. They were shown a house in Iluka which was the "country" option and it was later described as a "village".

The rest of it was my words - Perth's northern suburbs stretch all the way to Jindalee these days so Iluka is mid-far distance from the city relatively at about 25km out. I have never thought of it as a coastal suburb because there is a park on a steep hill between the houses and sea in the bits I visit and because Burns Beach kind of wraps behind it but I just looked at Whereis and it can claim to be coastal.)
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:25 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Yeah, that was my point. They were shown a house in Iluka which was the "country" option and it was later described as a "village".

The rest of it was my words - Perth's northern suburbs stretch all the way to Jindalee these days so Iluka is mid-far distance from the city relatively at about 25km out. I have never thought of it as a coastal suburb because there is a park on a steep hill between the houses and sea in the bits I visit and because Burns Beach kind of wraps behind it but I just looked at Whereis and it can claim to be coastal.)
It's definitely coastal, as is Ocean Reef and Mullaloo yet they both have more of a distance from the ocean to most houses. It takes us about 5 mins to walk to the beach from our house.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Hi St Georges Girl and Worzel, now you can see why we all rant at the BBC over their research. The poor families, they are really led astray sometimes. I suppose, they get a free holiday, but I hope non of them base their decision on the advice they are given.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

We watched some shows yesterday (thanks Bordy ) amongst which was the one with the Asian family too Worzel.

Pretty damned obvious Perth was not the place for them. I said to Da Boss after about 10 minutes they should be in Melbourne or Sydney.

And I can see why everyone has been slanging the programme about the properties being shown to these people. In a lot of cases they are totally innappropriate. In that show they said they could afford max $530k so they show them something costing $1.2 million. Yeah right.

And don't get me started on the Cairns shows

Don't take too much notice of what the show is delivering in the way of facts and figures as I would suggest they are selective to say the least.

Actually the more I think about it the more I have to say what a wonderful idea these shows are but how badly they fail to deliver quality to the people taking part.

The shows I saw were all of the new potential recruits and by and large most of them were bright enough to see past the programme and realise what they were being served was not the whole picture.

I think viewers would be well advised to take the shows with a pinch of salt and enjoy the scenery as at least they are getting to see some lovely places.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:57 am
starting again.....

FIZZYMOON will become famous soon enough

The shows I saw were all of the new potential recruits and by and large most of them were bright enough to see past the programme and realise what they were being served was not the whole picture.

I think viewers would be well advised to take the shows with a pinch of salt and enjoy the scenery as at least they are getting to see some lovely places.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree Bix......... and it provides a whole host of discussions and debates on here!!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:14 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FIZZYMOON

I think viewers would be well advised to take the shows with a pinch of salt and enjoy the scenery as at least they are getting to see some lovely places.

I totally agree Bix......... and it provides a whole host of discussions and debates on here!![/quote]

Doesn't it just
One of the biggest laughs in the 2 Cairns shows I saw was the coastal, country, city selection. A total nonsense.
Although Cairns is quite nicely spread you can cross from one end to the other in about 1 hour so nowhere is more than half an hour from the CBD or coast. They didn't show a true city or country place.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:26 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Any body watch todays I thought its was very good the family are really making a good go of it and are very realistic but getting out there and meeting new people yesterdays started out good but i couldn't believe it when they decided to go home if you were feeling iffy about going yesterdays would make you really think but todays was much better glad i got to see it
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:28 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baby75
Any body watch todays I thought its was very good the family are really making a good go of it and are very realistic but getting out there and meeting new people yesterdays started out good but i couldn't believe it when they decided to go home if you were feeling iffy about going yesterdays would make you really think but todays was much better glad i got to see it
I know them well and they truly are a lovely family and enjoying life. My Christmas dinner was courtesy of his butchers!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by northernbird
I know them well and they truly are a lovely family and enjoying life. My Christmas dinner was courtesy of his butchers!
Did you have sausage ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.