BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Sheffman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by Dawn-D
Hi Sheffman,

It's a shame to think all kids are like the one on todays programme! I've had a lot of fantastic rewarding moments with my three and wouldn't be without them!

However the boy on the programme was exceptional, I don't know why they bothered even trying to get him to go to Oz. His mind was made up and it was obvious he was never going to change it.

Lucky escape for the people of Cairns I reckon, which I thought looked beautiful even though I am planning to go to WA!

Dawn
Hi Dawn,
I know I shouldnt jump to conclusion, but those kids pushed all my buttons especially the one who, refused to get on the boat,,'Mom you know I dont do boats' only to walk on later, and say 'mom you owe me big time' at which point mom gave him a big hug! awwww I know I shouldnt say this in todays pc world, but he came across as such a petulant/arrogant/spoilt arghh!!!
Had to love the daughters comments after seeing grans video message and dad saying well if gran wants to come and visit she only has to get on a plane,,daughter ' She cant she is an old person'
I think the whole of Cairns is breathing a huge sigh of relief!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:14 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

The prog is a crock of you know what.

It should be no more than 1/2 hour, they keep repeating parts within the prog as they don't film enough.

I caught today prog as on a late shift, drove me mad. Don't be too hard on that family in case they read posts on here, I don't think going on about how their kids were etc is that appropriate.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:22 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve just watched yesterday’s episode (recording them and watching them in the evening!) with the chef and his wife. I felt it was yet another couple who really weren’t seriously thinking about moving. They kept going on about how he needed to work fewer hours but being a chef he surely expects to work silly hours? Then when they found restaurants that only open for dinner or on a few days (i.e. what they wanted) the food was ‘below the standard he was used to’. They were really patronising about everything, including telling the estate agent that because he was chef they wouldn’t just to the usual stuff on the BBQ at the house, but duck and ‘proper’ food. AGH! They really got up my nose. Plus they were having IVF treatment and the wife seemed sure that if they moved to Oz she would somehow get pregnant coz he’d be working less hours??!

Man, this programme and the vague opportunities it is offering potential migrants is really being wasted.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:37 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TMRE
I liked the Granny bit "when you can afford to you can come home and stay with me, If I am still here". No emotional stuff there then
i thought it was my mil for a minute talk about laying it on thick
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:43 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Todays programme really irritated me. That guy wanted to work less hours etc to be with family...does he not get that people in oz still have to work?? I dont expect to work less hours than normal. The jobs that were on offer to fit in with family life he wouldnt consider (dont like the public) so what was the point of the whole exercise then? Did he think fishing in australia would be any less hours than in uk (has oz developed a new way of fishing that is faster with less hours...who knows).

Same with the chef guy, looks like non of the men in these programmes want to compromise to fit in with family.. my husband knows his earning potential may be less but is prepared to give it a go anyway..., and i will just work more shifts to get us set up and what was wrong with her working too parrt-time to take some stress off?? My hubbie is giving up 35k a year company car etc and reckons he wants to be a postman lol (well we will see lol)
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
I’ve just watched yesterday’s episode (recording them and watching them in the evening!) with the chef and his wife. I felt it was yet another couple who really weren’t seriously thinking about moving. They kept going on about how he needed to work fewer hours but being a chef he surely expects to work silly hours? Then when they found restaurants that only open for dinner or on a few days (i.e. what they wanted) the food was ‘below the standard he was used to’. They were really patronising about everything, including telling the estate agent that because he was chef they wouldn’t just to the usual stuff on the BBQ at the house, but duck and ‘proper’ food. AGH! They really got up my nose. Plus they were having IVF treatment and the wife seemed sure that if they moved to Oz she would somehow get pregnant coz he’d be working less hours??!

Man, this programme and the vague opportunities it is offering potential migrants is really being wasted.
I agree - they irritated me! They picked the country option and then moaned it was too quiet and that Melbourne had the better opportunities. Then they said they wanted to go back to AMERSHAM for some excitement. AMERSHAM!! Has anyone on here been there? It's a nice part of the World but not in any way exciting.

Then the IVF stuff. The woman said the UK consultant told her there was no point having any more cycles as they were unlikely to work. She was looking for an Ozzie Dr who was willing to do as many cycles as she wanted and a 'cure' which was available in Oz. As if medical knowledge isn't shared with the UK. I have 100% percent sympathy with her situation (having been there myself) BUT there are sound medical reasons why a private UK consultant would say enough is enough. If there is hope, they will happily take your money. It's very sad, as I'm sure she was hoping that moving to Oz would provide a miracle.

Again, some people who wanted a free holiday. She might have considered the move, but he was NEVER going to leave that resteraunt.

</IMG></IMG></IMG>
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fly Away

Then the IVF stuff. The woman said the UK consultant told her there was no point having any more cycles as they were unlikely to work. She was looking for an Ozzie Dr who was willing to do as many cycles as she wanted and a 'cure' which was available in Oz. As if medical knowledge isn't shared with the UK. I have 100% percent sympathy with her situation (having been there myself) BUT there are sound medical reasons why a private UK consultant would say enough is enough. If there is hope, they will happily take your money. It's very sad, as I'm sure she was hoping that moving to Oz would provide a miracle.

</IMG></IMG></IMG>
Been there done the IVF route. Consultant said enough was enough only had 3 cycles but he didn't think it was worth carrying on. Hubby was working long hours and was then made redundant. He got another job better pay, better hours. He relaxed a bit more, so did I and forgot about having another baby. We have a 12 year old and spent more time with her. On Saturday we are celebrating our "you can't have anymore kids I'm afraid" daughters 2nd Birthday!. Maybe and just maybe a change of lifestyle can help sometimes.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:58 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
?? My hubbie is giving up 35k a year company car etc and reckons he wants to be a postman lol (well we will see lol)
Its funny you should say that my hubby said the same thing
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:00 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Been there done the IVF route. Consultant said enough was enough only had 3 cycles but he didn't think it was worth carrying on. Hubby was working long hours and was then made redundant. He got another job better pay, better hours. He relaxed a bit more, so did I and forgot about having another baby. We have a 12 year old and spent more time with her. On Saturday we are celebrating our "you can't have anymore kids I'm afraid" daughters 2nd Birthday!. Maybe and just maybe a change of lifestyle can help sometimes.
Thats fantastic hope you all have a special day on Saturday
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:03 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

I watched todays and cant help but feel if the husband wanted to really spend more time with is family then make sacrifices like change jobs he was open to that at the start then when he got there he said no way would he skipper a boat for tourists as he wasn't a people person fair enough and i dont want to come across as taking a dig at him as he might be on this and im sure the BBC only show what they want us to see but all the programs have a very negative feel about them don't they.
I guess it show how hard it can be when the children get older and decide they want to stay when you want to go, i felt sorry for them listening to there what their family's had to say im so glad mine are already making plans for coming over for a holiday already and i have great support from home to go they all think we are doing the right thing i do think the BBC encourage the family to say i don't want them to go and all that so there will be tears
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:07 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I should have said that I did feel for her and her attempts to get pregnant, didn't mean to sound harsh of her hoping. But it seemed somewhat unrealistic of her. But yes, her husband was never going to leave his own restaurant in the UK so what was the point? Plus it really struck me that they didn't know what they wanted..apart form everything they already have in the UK! My OH and I both said that what they needed was to change their lives in the UK, to work fewer hours and may move home etc. You don't have to move to the other side of the world to make these changes and that's why they didn't feel it was for them, it wasn't what they were looking for in the first place!

But ain't Oz grand, no-one works and everyone just spends all day on the beach with their families...at least that's what quite a few of the families so far seem to think!!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wardy2
Thats fantastic hope you all have a special day on Saturday
Thank you!. Going to have jelly and ice cream, lemonade, chocolate cake, doughnuts, sweets and a bouncy castle. Not sure what we will be doing for the kids yet
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:15 am
aka DORIS

Thank you!. Going to have jelly and ice cream, lemonade, chocolate cake, doughnuts, sweets and a bouncy castle. Not sure what we will be doing for the kids yet
yeah the kids wouldn't enjoy that anyway
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:16 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

I felt this couple were really reasonable. They had obviously been told, like lots of Brits are, that life is easier or more relaxed in Australia and I think they needed to go there to find out. I like the fact that they were not swayed instantly by the big swish houses as they most probably worked out that they would need the same mortgage they have in the UK to pay for them and therefore life wouldn't be easier or more relaxed.
He would have been a fool to go for a second in command position in any restaurant and I think it is more patronising of the Australian restaurant to actually tell him that after taking into account his experience they could offer him a second in command position. I also think he was very diplomatic considering their patronising superior attitude to him.
I think both of them were very fair and diplomatic.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:22 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I should have said that I did feel for her and her attempts to get pregnant, didn't mean to sound harsh of her hoping. But it seemed somewhat unrealistic of her. But yes, her husband was never going to leave his own restaurant in the UK so what was the point? Plus it really struck me that they didn't know what they wanted..apart form everything they already have in the UK! My OH and I both said that what they needed was to change their lives in the UK, to work fewer hours and may move home etc. You don't have to move to the other side of the world to make these changes and that's why they didn't feel it was for them, it wasn't what they were looking for in the first place!

But ain't Oz grand, no-one works and everyone just spends all day on the beach with their families...at least that's what quite a few of the families so far seem to think!!
My husband and I said that too. He needs to hire a manager and they need to move to that converted barn again.
We realise now that our foolhardy emigration to Australia should have been a change of our lifestyle in the UK. Though we perhaps needed to go to Australia to find that out. We had had to leave Australia suddenly ten years ago so it had always been in the back of our minds that Australia was the place we should be in. So when things got bad here in the UK we hankered for what we felt was unfinished in Aus. Well we went to Australia, it didn't work, we realised what we had in the UK was only in need of tweaking, we came back and tweaked and now are really enjoying the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.