Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:16 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
What shit?

I stopped giving my grandaughter the stuff when i was in UK. Nanna always made breakfast.. the aftermath was NOT pleasant!! I did boiled eggs
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:20 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

I stopped giving my grandaughter the stuff when i was in UK. Nanna always made breakfast.. the aftermath was NOT pleasant!! I did boiled eggs
You do know you are not supposed to give littlies more than 2 eggs a week don't you? Of course you do, you're a grandma and they know everything.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's bad around Rottnest this time of year. Where were you Pen, at this bbq I mean?
I honestly can't remember. Must ask Hubby in the morning. Wasn't beach or Kings Park and I do remember trees. Does that narrow it down enough for you?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:23 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I honestly can't remember. Must ask Hubby in the morning. Wasn't beach or Kings Park and I do remember trees. Does that narrow it down enough for you?
Eerm funnily enough..........., no.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:27 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

You do know you are not supposed to give littlies more than 2 eggs a week don't you? Of course you do, you're a grandma and they know everything.
Oooops

Well shes still alive

Yeah i only did it couple of times a week maybe 3 ... fruit and porridge was another fave she was a grape monster... actually... this is gross but,..

I gave her some grapes with brekkie one day and they came out the other end completely undigested in large halves as i cut them!!!!!!!

1.how come she didnt choke

2. How come they managed to survive untouched?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:48 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Oooops

Well shes still alive

Yeah i only did it couple of times a week maybe 3 ... fruit and porridge was another fave she was a grape monster... actually... this is gross but,..

I gave her some grapes with brekkie one day and they came out the other end completely undigested in large halves as i cut them!!!!!!!

1.how come she didnt choke

2. How come they managed to survive untouched?
My son used to love boiled eggs, that's how I know. yep, kidney beans, sweetcorn all comes out whole.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:09 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Oooo Oooo! I've got a very important one!

Plain Flavour Chips/Crisps are in a blue packet not a red one, Chicken Flavour are in green but rather reassuringly beefy/BBQ are in brown :0)

Five Dollar notes are reddy purple, and Tens are blue......other way around in the U.K.

There are no one or two cent coins.

House Letterboxes are at the boundary of your property, not in the front door.

There are no overflow holes in hand-basins or sinks-there is one in the bathroom floor instead.

Oh and..........

The water goes down the plug-hole the opposite way
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:56 pm
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

Living in the country in Australia is very different to living in the country in the UK!

Chocolate in Australia apparently has anti melt ingredient in it so doesn't melt in mouth

Singlet = vest, manchester = bedding, pants = trousers etc etc

Okey cokey is hokey pokey (of course this is a very important difference!!)

Trains in Perth and Sydney have guards on them in the evenings. In the UK the average person uses a train, not in Aus. Trains is Perth could be scarey at times, same as the central train station.

AFL vs soccer (I actually really liked AFL)

suburbs are huge is some cities and all look the same, can't think of anything like it in UK

Grass is springy, dry and bouncy with sand underneath it in Perth. I'd never heard of reticulation until I moved there.

Having a pool is not just for the rich like it is in UK

Same with private schools, much more affordable in Australia

Loads and loads of differences - some for the better and some not!!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

'They are lovely N, I agree. An aunt made me a beautiful Golly which was about 18" long, dressed in a waistcoat, bow tie, trousers with braces and Spatz shoes. I think my mum still has it."

I also used to love gollies when I was a child, I had several of them all with the cutest faces. It's funny how most gollies are dressed in waistcoats and bow ties, even the non homemade ones. Must be the standard uniform!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:03 pm
Banned

Newbie_Aussie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Originally Posted by slipshot
Chaps

Has anyone ever actioned one post that lists the key differences between Aus and the UK for newcomers to the site and those who are looking to move and investigating possibilities. I know there are many options but it might be good to have one post, made as a sticky, that keeps one continuous list. It probably needs some parameters assigned to it to keep it fairly consistent, but I would think this would be good.

Coming from someone who has lived in both countries recently, and indeed is looking to move back to Aus again, I think it gives a netter impression from these people to post than someone who moved out to Aus 10 years ago and has little knowledge of current prices in the UK. Thus those recent movers are actually in the best position.

Items I was thinking of, without necessarily meaning to get it started, were...

Choice - far more choice in the majority of items in the UK than Aus, including supermarket foods, cars, utilities etc

Tax - Higher rate of tax payable in Aus is 47% compared to 40% in the UK, but VAT/GST is 10% compared to 17.5% in the UK

Superannuation (Aus version of pension) - this should be on top of your salary rather than included and is a government requirement

PAYE - you need to complete a tax return every year in Aus, again something most in the UK do not worry about

Sport (mainly football) - for those, like me, who will miss their doe of televised football, you get a far greater choice of matches because of your location (outside of the UK) BUT you need to be ready to watch live matches in the early hours of the morning - and that can hurt!

These are the type of things I was thinking about...
UK have a powerful strong currency whereas AUD is not as powerful as GBP.GBP is more valuable currency. Australia is far away from everywhere whereas UK is right in the middle of Europe (8 hours flight from USA,Canada etc.) Weather is beautiful in Australia but there are other places life California, Morocco, South Africa etc. which have beautiful weather too.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
The water goes down the plug-hole the opposite way
No it doesn't

One thing I don't get is why Australian sinks and baths don't seem to have the plug attached by a chain to the body of the sink or bath. None of the one's I've seen do anyway. Always losing the sodding plug
Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:35 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

UK: Lots of decent Indian restaurants, and not just for an "English curry".
Oz: If there are any, I've yet to find them.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:40 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

No it doesn't

One thing I don't get is why Australian sinks and baths don't seem to have the plug attached by a chain to the body of the sink or bath. None of the one's I've seen do anyway. Always losing the sodding plug
where the hell is the plug going?
how can you keep losing the plug!!!!!!

Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:50 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

No it doesn't

Is it in the same place as the plot and your marbles
Old Nov 1st 2008, 2:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by jellibaby
where the hell is the plug going?
how can you keep losing the plug!!!!!!

I have no idea, the plug police (husband) obviously keeps putting it away somewhere safe
Originally Posted by northernbird
Is it in the same place as the plot and your marbles
Quite possibly. Can't be bothered to look for them either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.