Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:29 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
That aswell

Can you freakin see me
Let's just say, you've been a little big more giddy today than usual.

Well I've managed to waste away most of the day and, in the continuing quest to find a decent curry, I'm off out for one. Have a good evening, all.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:51 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Let's just say, you've been a little big more giddy today than usual.
Jeez....you CAN see me
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:30 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Jees.....those weetabix have effected my eyes too
Most people called it a viking hat, so not alone.

Originally Posted by Seasider
Well by the way you've been posting all day, I blame alcohol.
Did someone mention alcohol? Is it that time already?

Hooray, yes it's wine o'clock and
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Back to differences between UK and Australia, and somehow I missed this during the migration process

In the Uk you dont get attacked by flies heading for your eyes and mouth, and then find out you have to wait till December for the dung beetle to pay their part in natures cycle to get rid of the little bleeders !!!!!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:59 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bev1
Back to differences between UK and Australia, and somehow I missed this during the migration process

In the Uk you dont get attacked by flies heading for your eyes and mouth, and then find out you have to wait till December for the dung beetle to pay their part in natures cycle to get rid of the little bleeders !!!!!
Yeh, it's not a great time between Oct-Dec. is it. You need one or two of these. 45cents
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bev1

In the Uk you dont get attacked by flies heading for your eyes and mouth
We don't get them in my part of QLD either. I know that some parts of Australia do, but I haven't lived in one of them yet.

We did get a fly in the house last week though. Just one in the whole week.

Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We don't get them in my part of QLD either. I know that some parts of Australia do, but I haven't lived in one of them yet.

We did get a fly in the house last week though. Just one in the whole week.
In areas of Perth, fly season has to be the most horrendous time of year. 20 odd years on I can still remember it. Thankfully it just doesn't seem to be a problem here. I'm sure we have other critters to take their place
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:45 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by moneypen20
In areas of Perth, fly season has to be the most horrendous time of year. 20 odd years on I can still remember it. Thankfully it just doesn't seem to be a problem here. I'm sure we have other critters to take their place
Did you go to Rotto?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Did you go to Rotto?
Yes. My most vivid memory though was a barbie somewhere and we couldn't even see the food for them. Not that we were interested in it, too busy trying to get them out of eyes, ears, mouths and noses. Honestly felt like those pictures of starving kids in Africa. I know it's only a few months a year but jeez it was horrible.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
Choice - far more choice in the majority of items in the UK than Aus, including supermarket foods, cars, utilities etc

Tax - Higher rate of tax payable in Aus is 47% compared to 40% in the UK, but VAT/GST is 10% compared to 17.5% in the UK
For tax, don't forget NIC. As a % of gross income I get more in my hand in Aus.

As for choice, that seems to be an often quoted complaint about Australian supermarkets (along with lack of ready meals)

My opinion is that the lack of choice isn't that big a deal. So there are 4 washing powders to choose from instead of 12 etc.

I think many people tend to buy meat and vegetables from additional sources like markets, butchers etc than in the UK too. Arguably in places like Melbourne there is a much greater choice when you include all the ethnic food outlets. People probably eat out more too.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:45 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Yes. My most vivid memory though was a barbie somewhere and we couldn't even see the food for them. Not that we were interested in it, too busy trying to get them out of eyes, ears, mouths and noses. Honestly felt like those pictures of starving kids in Africa. I know it's only a few months a year but jeez it was horrible.
It's bad around Rottnest this time of year. Where were you Pen, at this bbq I mean?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Ah but that's it you see. You're assuming everyone will be shocked [and maybe dissapointed] with the differences in Aus.

That's not the case for everyone who comes here
Give that man a medal!!

Sums up why so people get fed up with the whingers - its not the whinging (which could be useful) - it's the fact that their problems do not apply to all. Most people can see that surely?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:58 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Give that man a medal!!

Sums up why so people get fed up with the whingers - its not the whinging (which could be useful) - it's the fact that their problems do not apply to all. Most people can see that surely?
That man is a woman Badge.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Well whatever they're called. Both make me shit through the eye of a needle

Are weetabix or weetbix meant to be laxatives - cos they are for me

How the heck does any child manage to get to school of a morning is beyond me
I have a 1.2 kg of it on my desk at work. Er - I'm OK!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:03 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I have a 1.2 kg of it on my desk at work. Er - I'm OK!
What shit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.