Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Old Feb 16th 2005, 3:47 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

16th Feb

Wasn't going to do an update as I feel poo today, but I noticed that I had been mentioned on another thread, so my ego got the better of me and here I am - my public need me

I know I had promised an update from my birthday, but then a great big dollop of homesickness hit, yep, finally it's hit. I recognise it, I can deal with it, I hope, but boy is it 'orrible. Not sure where it came from and why as everything is so damn near perfect I could cry - oops I have today, but not 'cos it's perfect, can't really put my finger on it. I said this was going to be a warts and all and I don't want to let my public down. I'm just staying in and cuddling Smudge. I wasn't going to even come on here, but felt if the diary was to be truthful I had to. I'm not even in the mod to go shopping

I have been a little worried lately that maybe I am being cyber stalked (another story) so will be selective with information - be careful out there guys.

This is a reflection of the fact that the homesickness can just catch you when you least expect it and I do mean when you least expect it, because the last few days have been fab...............

Saturday morning Warren took me out and suprised me with a birthday present that I have wanted for a very long time - no not the Merc - that's when I am forty. He bought me a KitchenAid food mixer.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/pr...&productId=348

Now to a sad Stepford wife like me that really is a dream come true, as I do alot of baking with the littlen' and making cakes by hand leaves the old right hand fit for nothing . I was thrilled and didn't expect it at all, as that morning he had bought me a huge bunch of gorge yellow lillies.

Sat night we went out with our cousins to the Victoria Station at the Burswood, it was lovely and great to spend some time with them, as we don't do that enough, as we always seem to be so busy.

Sunday (my actual) birthday I opened all my UK presents, I got a gorg top from MIL and jewellery from Next and loads of stuff Mother. Then Warren suprised me with a boxed edition of Peter Kay standup on DVD. I was totally rapped. He's a hero of mine in with Pheonix Nights, but I have never seen his live show which is supposed to be a million times better. Then ontop of that he has given me some money to buy clothes. Warren said he got the DVD from Amazon UK, it arrived within 5 days!! and he was really impressed with the service. So all is not lost guys if there is some UK DVD you just can't live without.

Then we went out to the Perth Mint for the afternoon and had a great time. On the way we picked up littlen' from Madame Sins, who had had her for the night - Top mate!! So top in fact that littlen' didn't want to come out with us and wants Teresa for he Mother instead - great!.

We have made a pact as a family to do at least one touristy thing per weekend as we have the time and we have the finances to do it, plus alot of the stuff we can do is free. This Saturday we are off Pony Trecking :scared: should be good for a laugh, or at the very least an amusing diary entry.

Life really couldn't be better, apart from the fact that husband has the best job ever, which is going to take him all over the place including the UK every 9 months and I am sooooooooooooooo jealous. Not of the fact that he is working, ehem, heaven forbid this is Jill we are talking about!! but the fact that he will be going to places I want to go, like MARKS AND SPENCER !!!

As I sit here I have tears rolling down my face and onto the keyboard.

Everything here is perfect, we are living the 'dweem' as we say in our house. We are together more as a family (even with Hubbies trips), weekends are more fun as we don't all have to go shopping, as I do that in the week, we have no financial worries, lttlen' has the dog she has always dreamed of, her horseriding is superb, I have great friends, I have more time, we are building the house of our dreams (that isn't mean't to sound so dramatic, but it is true, as this house will have everything in it from the wish list we compiled) The list goes on and on.......................

So why today, as I write this, do I feel so utterly crap? because my friends, sometimes the mind cannot override the heart and you just have to give into it and hope it passes. Nothing can prepare you for it, not even my sermon. However I know I will feel better and I know what I have to do to feel better, but just for today I don't want to. I want to cry my bloody eyes out and get it out of my system and I want to have a winge, so here goes..............

I MISS:

My Mum
The views in County Durham - stunning
The buildings
The winter clothes
Grey winter skies !!!!!! How mad is that??????
Internet shopping for food (BTW I found Chestnuts in David Jones)
Quality stuff without having to pay heaps for and search for.
Marks and bloody bloody bloody Spencer
Next
Wallis

That is actually about it. I know I don't want to go back as there would be alot more to miss about the life we have here in less materialistic terms, but for the moment, allow me today. Be gentle with me please, even trolls have a heart don't they??

The guys still in the UK, take a real hard look at your lives and make damn sure you are coming for all the right reasons and with realistic expectations. We did. Our expectations were actually on the pessimistic/realistic side and I still feel like this today. It's working for us, so far, but if it doesn't workout I hate to think how anyone would cope having weeks and weeks of feeling like this. And to those here who do feel awful everyday, with that deep knot in your stomach, then you have my utmost respect.

Jill

Old Feb 16th 2005, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

linnie2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

hi Jill
Hope you are feeling better soon...in the meantime...

http://www.marksandspencer.com/

true, they don't deliver to Oz, but maybe your mum could forward afew parcels if you get *really* desperate!

cheers
L
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
16th Feb

Wasn't going to do an update as I feel poo today, but I noticed that I had been mentioned on another thread, so my ego got the better of me and here I am - my public need me

I know I had promised an update from my birthday, but then a great big dollop of homesickness hit, yep, finally it's hit. I recognise it, I can deal with it, I hope, but boy is it 'orrible. Not sure where it came from and why as everything is so damn near perfect I could cry - oops I have today, but not 'cos it's perfect, can't really put my finger on it. I said this was going to be a warts and all and I don't want to let my public down. I'm just staying in and cuddling Smudge. I wasn't going to even come on here, but felt if the diary was to be truthful I had to. I'm not even in the mod to go shopping

I have been a little worried lately that maybe I am being cyber stalked (another story) so will be selective with information - be careful out there guys.

This is a reflection of the fact that the homesickness can just catch you when you least expect it and I do mean when you least expect it, because the last few days have been fab...............

Saturday morning Warren took me out and suprised me with a birthday present that I have wanted for a very long time - no not the Merc - that's when I am forty. He bought me a KitchenAid food mixer.

Now to a sad Stepford wife like me that really is a dream come true, as I do alot of baking with the littlen' and making cakes by hand leaves the old right hand fit for nothing . I was thrilled and didn't expect it at all, as that morning he had bought me a huge bunch of gorge yellow lillies.

Sat night we went out with our cousins to the Victoria Station at the Burswood, it was lovely and great to spend some time with them, as we don't do that enough, as we always seem to be so busy.

Sunday (my actual) birthday I opened all my UK presents, I got a gorg top from MIL and jewellery from Next and loads of stuff Mother. Then Warren suprised me with a boxed edition of Peter Kay standup on DVD. I was totally rapped. He's a hero of mine in with Pheonix Nights, but I have never seen his live show which is supposed to be a million times better. Then ontop of that he has given me some money to buy clothes. Warren said he got the DVD from Amazon UK, it arrived within 5 days!! and he was really impressed with the service. So all is not lost guys if there is some UK DVD you just can't live without.

Then we went out to the Perth Mint for the afternoon and had a great time. On the way we picked up littlen' from Madame Sins, who had had her for the night - Top mate!! So top in fact that littlen' didn't want to come out with us and wants Teresa for he Mother instead - great!.

We have made a pact as a family to do at least one touristy thing per weekend as we have the time and we have the finances to do it, plus alot of the stuff we can do is free. This Saturday we are off Pony Trecking :scared: should be good for a laugh, or at the very least an amusing diary entry.

Life really couldn't be better, apart from the fact that husband has the best job ever, which is going to take him all over the place including the UK every 9 months and I am sooooooooooooooo jealous. Not of the fact that he is working, ehem, heaven forbid this is Jill we are talking about!! but the fact that he will be going to places I want to go, like MARKS AND SPENCER !!!

Everything here is perfect, we are living the 'dweem' as we say in our house. We are together more as a family (even with Hubbies trips), weekends are more fun as we don't all have to go shopping, as I do that in the week, we have no financial worries, lttlen' has the dog she has always dreamed of, her horseriding is superb, I have great friends, I have more time, we are building the house of our dreams (that isn't mean't to sound so dramatic, but it is true, as this house will have everything in it from the wish list we compiled) The list goes on and on.......................

So why today, as I write this, do I feel so utterly crap? because my friends, sometimes the mind cannot override the heart and you just have to give into it and hope it passes. Nothing can prepare you for it, not even my sermon. However I know I will feel better and I know what I have to do to feel better, but just for today I don't want to. I want to cry my bloody eyes out and get it out of my system and I want to have a winge, so here goes..............

I MISS:

My Mum
The buildings
The winter clothes
Next
Wallis

That is actually about it. I know I don't want to go back as there would be alot more to miss about the life we have here in less materialistic terms, but for the moment, allow me today. Be gentle with me please, even trolls have a heart don't they??

The guys still in the UK, take a real hard look at your lives and make damn sure you are coming for all the right reasons and with realistic expectations. We did. Our expectations were actually on the pessimistic/realistic side and I still feel like this today. It's working for us, so far, but if it doesn't workout I hate to think how anyone would cope having weeks and weeks of feeling like this. And to those here who do feel awful everyday, with that deep knot in your stomach, then you have my utmost respect.

Jill
Oh dear - that's done it. I was just about coping with today - a yuc day. Only four months in and telling myself its daft to consider returning to the UK especially as our home has been let for 2 years! But then the above posting and the "views of County Durham" just got me. Oh for some down to earth banter of North Eastern folk. Maybe a half an hour's walking mediation around the Cathedral would put me right or a walk along the river bank - perhaps lunch at the Royal County. Later a drink with friends from Brancepth Village. Any one got a tissue?
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
16th Feb

I MISS:

My Mum
The buildings
The winter clothes
Next
Wallis

Jill
Oh dear - that's done it. I was just about coping with today - a yuc day. Only four months in and telling myself its daft to consider returning to the UK especially as our home has been let for 2 years! But then the above posting and the "views of County Durham" just got me. Oh for some down to earth banter of North Eastern folk. Maybe a half an hour's walking meditation around the Cathedral would put me right or a walk along the river bank - perhaps lunch at the Royal County. Later a drink with friends from Brancepth Village. Any one got a tissue?
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:39 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jill,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been hit with the (often) wierd bug that is homesickness...
Everything can be perfect, but homesickness is a wierd thing, and at the same time describes it well a lot of the time too. England was your home for a very long time, and I think it would be abnormal not to miss things!

Hope you're through it soon, it's not a nice feeling (not that I've been through it, but my mum has here, dad has in NL, and I've read soooo much about it!!) Actually, I did have some homesickness once, and it was missing wierd things once again, when we just moved back to Holland, I missed feeding the chooks and walking to school Luckily only lasted a short while!!

Hang in there, or not.. let it all come out?

P.s. we went to the Art Museum on Saturday. It's next to the station, and is free, as is the WA Museum next to it, which is great for kids.
There was some really nice aboriginal art, and in one part they have all WA art.

pps. Love the mixer
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian12
Oh dear - that's done it. I was just about coping with today - a yuc day. Only four months in and telling myself its daft to consider returning to the UK especially as our home has been let for 2 years! But then the above posting and the "views of County Durham" just got me. Oh for some down to earth banter of North Eastern folk. Maybe a half an hour's walking meditation around the Cathedral would put me right or a walk along the river bank - perhaps lunch at the Royal County. Later a drink with friends from Brancepth Village. Any one got a tissue?

There is a temporary cure my wife gets terrible homesickness despite having all the sun/sky/house trappings she came to OZ for

The trip back home, V very expensive if a family, but will cure homesickness by having something to look forward to, sad when you come back but I suppose you could always save up again (and again and again )
Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:57 am
Banned

Monkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really nice

Hi Jill and Warren,

How does the deal with Kings Park and meeting "newbies" work? Would it be OK to show our faces?

Justin
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hey Jill,
Hope that your homesickness is just momentary. I think that homesickness is like the sea, it comes and goes in waves and it soounds lik u r riding a big one at the mo
Chin up girl.

Lots of hugs
Debsxxxx
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:16 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monkeyrillas
Hi Jill and Warren,

How does the deal with Kings Park and meeting "newbies" work? Would it be OK to show our faces?

Justin
Hi!

THought I'd answer....

It's a very open thing, everyone is welcome, and it's especially for newbies I would say, the need becomes less once you start to settle and make friends, but it's still fun!!

Did you see the thread about the meet on Sunday?

Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:27 am
Banned

Monkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really nice

Originally Posted by Simone
Hi!

THought I'd answer....

It's a very open thing, everyone is welcome, and it's especially for newbies I would say, the need becomes less once you start to settle and make friends, but it's still fun!!

Did you see the thread about the meet on Sunday?

Thanks Simone. No we haven't seen the thread - will attempt to track it down!

Justin
Old Feb 16th 2005, 9:24 am
Go Banana's !!

16th Feb - update

Thanks guys, feel a little better, spent the afternoon with cuz.
Eyes feel like someone has blow torched them, then thrown salt in - ouch!

I know how incredibly fortunate we are compared to some, so that's helping. The Aunty who sponsored us had a really tough time when they came out here 30 years ago with practically nothing, 3 children and Hubby had to go over to Melbourne for work. They stayed with rels and lived out of cardboard boxes and I moan, geeze I need a slap. Form an orderly queue

Keeping a low profile isn't natural for me darlings, so see you all at coffee tomorrow!!

Gotta go, Smudge has just fell in the bath with littlen' - an accident apparently !!!

Jill

Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Me very naive, how does cyber stalking work Not that i'm thinking of doing it just can't work out a) how they do it and b) how you know
Old Feb 16th 2005, 11:52 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Jill,
You got a strong spirit lass.
One of lifes survivors.
My money is on you pulling through this one.
Actually, that wording isn't too good as it implies pulling through to stay in Aus.
Whereas what I mean is you face things head on irrespective of where that leaves you situated.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 11:53 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Me very naive, how does cyber stalking work Not that i'm thinking of doing it just can't work out a) how they do it and b) how you know
No need to learn the art of stalking MP.
I am here awaiting you.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:02 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jill!

Sorry to hear that you've been low. Hope you are feeling better now and looking forward to seeing you tomorrow (whether you laugh or whinge.. or both )

Siren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.