Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
OOoooops I have that sinking feeling I have upset the neighbours, sorry.

Just an amazing house like nothing I have ever seen. I don't hate it, just marvel at it.

Geeze that's another creepy "I'm so sorry" pm on it's way

Jill
If the foot is well and truly in it, Warren doesn't need to keep you in shoes
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:43 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

4th Feb - my god already??

Finally got round to an update, but not sure how this one will go, as I'm not quite sure where to start, whether I remember what I have done in the last week or in fact whether I get told off for not attending to my wifely duties
We'll just have to see how it goes my little possoms.

Now go get yourselves a glass of hard stuff and sit back and read on. If you ain't interested then you shouldn't have read this far anyway

This week has be maniac with a capital M, but immense fun and dare I say it I might miss the guy when he starts work on Monday.

The Monday just gone, he got to meet the Head Honcho, the purpose of the meting was to rubber stamp his appointment. It was a farely done deal, but still if the guy had thought he was a pratt, then it could have gone horribly wrong. Luckily Warren managed to supress the pratt in him and by Tuesday morning Warren had his offical offer and all was signed sealed and confirm - now we could exhale...................

I received the joyous news while on an inaugural shopping trip to Claremont. Geeze Madame Sin and I had missed it so much, it had been 8 weeks since a trip, 8 flamin weeks. I deserve a medal, it's inhuman!! Anyway, all was well with the world and we both felt at peace. We had a beautiful lunch in of a smoked salmon salad each and a glass of chardonnay, it felt sooooooooo good to be human again. We bent the old plastic a bit, but hey after 8 weeks we deserved it.

Wednesday Warren and I concluded the car hunt and are now (picked up today - that story later) the proud owners of a new 7 seater Toyota Kluger Grande. Warren is chuffed to nuts with his new toy and (this beggers belief ) he is outside now in the car on the drive, playing with the Sat Nav system, I really am worried about the guy.

At this point I would like to highly reccommned Melville Toyota. (I'd bought my Echo there as well over the internet whilst in the UK)They have been fantastic. We got a crackin deal and the car was ready in two days, complete with park sensors and a tow bar. Tell Domenic I sent you:scared:

Wednesday night we actually spent some time with our family out here and had a lovely evening at 'Jettys' at Hillarys. We should go there more often, as at night it is lovely. Sunday are a no no as it's fully of Poms (ha ha) We just simply don't get the time to do all the touristy stuff we said we would do, busy having a life. I had to drag Warren past the jetty where the boats are for sale, as his eyes started to mist over.

Thursday we had coffee day and it was lovely as usual. Angela was the perfect hostess.

Inbetween all this Warren and I have been bombing around getting quotes for flooring, carpets, fridges, microwaves, dishwashers, blinds, pelmets, beds, bedding, alarms, home cimema stuff, pensions, material, gas fires, you name it we have at least 3 quotes!! That's on top off all the stuff I did before Warren got here. Can't promise many updates in the future as I am going to be a very busy lady (lady? did I say lady?)

Shopping for household stuff is great here, it is quite a sport, as you NEVER pay what is on the ticket, you always haggle and it's great fun. At the end of the day, when you think you have screwed the guy down to the very best price, you just walk away and 9 times out of 10, they cave in.

Now Warren and I have all the base prices for stuff, my job over the next few months is just that, the haggling. He has armed me with an excel spread sheet (at my request) with a list of initial quote prices, target prices and a column for the saving I make on the target. Anything I save can then be directed to the 'luxury - don't - need - but- nice - to - have ' list. It's great fun and I am on a mission - lunatic? me ? never..............

OOh Warren has just brought me in a glass of wine which is absolutely scrummy. It's Gnagarra Wooded Chardonnay. We actually had it in the UK as part of a batch from the Sunday Times wine club, but it works out over here at only 9 dollars a bottle, you do the maths.

Now round to today's fun? of picking up the car. To cut a long story short we left it a bit late to pick it up, I got lost, had to go back to the garage where a very startled Banana was doing the hand over of his new 'mow-taa', I had to ring a friend to pick up littlen' for school, while doing a donut in the middle of the Leach Highway, all very Frank Spencer. It all just added to the 'not again, roll your eyes' catalogue of events that Warren clocks up on me.

Imogen is back at school and complaining already. She's being a very stroppy 7 and a 1/2 year old, but we have had a family meeting and laid down some new ground rules, which so far seem to be working. She was up at 6am today, pegged out the washing, helped Warren clean the pool, made her bed without being asked and washed my feet for me tonight, seriously boot camp has nothing on me. I sit here stunned as she has just gone to clean her teeth without being asked. She seems to have it into her head that because we have had a tow bar fitted to the bus, that someday she'll be getting a horse. That will probably be the case when she is about 11, until then she can carry on doing her Cinders act.

I sit before you a now very happy and now slightly tiddly Banana. The future looks bright (the future looks orange - well it does if you walk for 30 mins in Subiaco, in the shade with no sun screen on, seriously burnt, very scary)

I already have next week sewn up with what I am up to and all our weekends up until March are full. I have noticed there is a Kings park meet on the 20th which we will try and make and do our bit to welcome peeps to Perth.

So all in all life is pretty hunky dory, god this wine is seriously good. I would like to thank all my lovely friends, they know who they are Teresa, Christina, Maggy (we need to see you babes) Mairi, Jenny, Jo, Larissa, Laura, Angela, for making Perth even better than it already is.

Well my tea is ready so i'd better sign off, plus the fact that I am also on MSN chatting too.

Warmest wishes

Jill

Mr Banana edited for drunken mistakes.....oh my god not again !!!!

Last edited by Go Banana's !!; Feb 4th 2005 at 1:10 pm.

Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:18 pm
Go Banana's !!

One day, just maybe I'll get chance to write something..................busy drinking the wine bought for guests on Saturday.....ooops !!

Really looking forward to work....did I really say that !!

I popped in today and they all seemed really nice.

Anyway, back to the vino as Jill needs to be rescued from a possible coma !!
Look forward to seeing anyone going to the Perth meet at Kings Park as I missed the last one due to still being in the UK.

Warren

Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:43 pm
Go Banana's !!

Teresa, Christina, Maggy (we need to see you babes) Mairi, Jenny, Jo, Larissa, Laura, Angela, for making Perth even better than it already is.

And Simone !!!!

Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:03 pm
maggy

Smile Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

4th Feb - my god already??

Finally got round to an update, but not sure how this one will go, as I'm not quite sure where to start, whether I remember what I have done in the last week or in fact whether I get told off for not attending to my wifely duties
We'll just have to see how it goes my little possoms.

Now go get yourselves a glass of hard stuff and sit back and read on. If you ain't interested then you shouldn't have read this far anyway

This week has be maniac with a capital M, but immense fun and dare I say it I might miss the guy when he starts work on Monday.

The Monday just gone, he got to meet the Head Honcho, the purpose of the meting was to rubber stamp his appointment. It was a farely done deal, but still if the guy had thought he was a pratt, then it could have gone horribly wrong. Luckily Warren managed to supress the pratt in him and by Tuesday morning Warren had his offical offer and all was signed sealed and confirm - now we could exhale...................

I received the joyous news while on an inaugural shopping trip to Claremont. Geeze Madame Sin and I had missed it so much, it had been 8 weeks since a trip, 8 flamin weeks. I deserve a medal, it's inhuman!! Anyway, all was well with the world and we both felt at peace. We had a beautiful lunch in of a smoked salmon salad each and a glass of chardonnay, it felt sooooooooo good to be human again. We bent the old plastic a bit, but hey after 8 weeks we deserved it.

Wednesday Warren and I concluded the car hunt and are now (picked up today - that story later) the proud owners of a new 7 seater Toyota Kluger Grande. Warren is chuffed to nuts with his new toy and (this beggers belief ) he is outside now in the car on the drive, playing with the Sat Nav system, I really am worried about the guy.

At this point I would like to highly reccommned Melville Toyota. (I'd bought my Echo there as well over the internet whilst in the UK)They have been fantastic. We got a crackin deal and the car was ready in two days, complete with park sensors and a tow bar. Tell Domenic I sent you:scared:

Wednesday night we actually spent some time with our family out here and had a lovely evening at 'Jettys' at Hillarys. We should go there more often, as at night it is lovely. Sunday are a no no as it's fully of Poms (ha ha) We just simply don't get the time to do all the touristy stuff we said we would do, busy having a life. I had to drag Warren past the jetty where the boats are for sale, as his eyes started to mist over.

Thursday we had coffee day and it was lovely as usual. Angela was the perfect hostess.

Inbetween all this Warren and I have been bombing around getting quotes for flooring, carpets, fridges, microwaves, dishwashers, blinds, pelmets, beds, bedding, alarms, home cimema stuff, pensions, material, gas fires, you name it we have at least 3 quotes!! That's on top off all the stuff I did before Warren got here. Can't promise many updates in the future as I am going to be a very busy lady (lady? did I say lady?)

Shopping for household stuff is great here, it is quite a sport, as you NEVER pay what is on the ticket, you always haggle and it's great fun. At the end of the day, when you think you have screwed the guy down to the very best price, you just walk away and 9 times out of 10, they cave in.

Now Warren and I have all the base prices for stuff, my job over the next few months is just that, the haggling. He has armed me with an excel spread sheet (at my request) with a list of initial quote prices, target prices and a column for the saving I make on the target. Anything I save can then be directed to the 'luxury - don't - need - but- nice - to - have ' list. It's great fun and I am on a mission - lunatic? me ? never..............

OOh Warren has just brought me in a glass of wine which is absolutely scrummy. It's Gnagarra Wooded Chardonnay. We actually had it in the UK as part of a batch from the Sunday Times wine club, but it works out over here at only 9 dollars a bottle, you do the maths.

Now round to today's fun? of picking up the car. To cut a long story short we left it a bit late to pick it up, I got lost, had to go back to the garage where a very startled Banana was doing the hand over of his new 'mow-taa', I had to ring a friend to pick up littlen' for school, while doing a donut in the middle of the Leach Highway, all very Frank Spencer. It all just added to the 'not again, roll your eyes' catalogue of events that Warren clocks up on me.

Imogen is back at school and complaining already. She's being a very stroppy 7 and a 1/2 year old, but we have had a family meeting and laid down some new ground rules, which so far seem to be working. She was up at 6am today, pegged out the washing, helped Warren clean the pool, made her bed without being asked and washed my feet for me tonight, seriously boot camp has nothing on me. I sit here stunned as she has just gone to clean her teeth without being asked. She seems to have it into her head that because we have had a tow bar fitted to the bus, that someday she'll be getting a horse. That will probably be the case when she is about 11, until then she can carry on doing her Cinders act.

I sit before you a now very happy and now slightly tiddly Banana. The future looks bright (the future looks orange - well it does if you walk for 30 mins in Subiaco, in the shade with no sun screen on, seriously burnt, very scary)

I already have next week sewn up with what I am up to and all our weekends up until March are full. I have noticed there is a Kings park meet on the 20th which we will try and make and do our bit to welcome peeps to Perth.

So all in all life is pretty hunky dory, god this wine is seriously good. I would like to thank all my lovely friends, they know who they are Teresa, Christina, Maggy (we need to see you babes) Mairi, Jenny, Jo, Larissa, Laura, Angela, for making Perth even better than it already is.

Well my tea is ready so i'd better sign off, plus the fact that I am also on MSN chatting too.

Warmest wishes

Jill

Mr Banana edited for drunken mistakes.....oh my god not again !!!!
Miss you soooooooooooo much honey thank god I have the banana diaries lol.

Found a shoe warehouse in joondalup today yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I swear I could have bought 20 pairs of strappies for less than a weeks shopping.

Guess Mark and Mike are gonna starve next week lol.

Dont know if im gonna make Kings park meet as im trying to re arrange shifts for Simones birthday bash.

OH WHY OH WHY ARE THESE MEETS ALWAYS A SUNDAY.

I cannot believe I forgot Thursday lol.

I bet you were pissin yourself laughing at my txt.

Love you loads doll and promise to see you soon

Hugs and kisses and the very best of wishes

Mags

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:26 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

And Simone !!!!
lol! Thanks!

Thanks for the great update btw, loving it!

Hope the 27th fits into your diary??!!
Mmm, still gotta tell some people about that... are probably reading this and thinking

Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:32 pm
Merlot

OOoooops I have that sinking feeling I have upset the neighbours, sorry.

Just an amazing house like nothing I have ever seen. I don't hate it, just marvel at it.

Geeze that's another creepy "I'm so sorry" pm on it's way

Jill
Looks like you have been forgiven, good to see you back.

Merlot

Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:57 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt say what pretty colour it is
Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:04 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Smile Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Originally Posted by maggy
Miss you soooooooooooo much honey thank god I have the banana diaries lol.

Found a shoe warehouse in joondalup today yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I swear I could have bought 20 pairs of strappies for less than a weeks shopping.

Guess Mark and Mike are gonna starve next week lol.

Dont know if im gonna make Kings park meet as im trying to re arrange shifts for Simones birthday bash.

OH WHY OH WHY ARE THESE MEETS ALWAYS A SUNDAY.

I cannot believe I forgot Thursday lol.

I bet you were pissin yourself laughing at my txt.

Love you loads doll and promise to see you soon

Hugs and kisses and the very best of wishes

Mags

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
S'cuse me buttin in' but where is this shoe warehouse? Need to note the address for my arrival as a matter of urgency!!
Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:56 am
Just Joined

tracy dodds is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're trying to toilet train puppy, I found the best thing to do was to put them outside as soon as they've woken up, straight after they've eaten, had exercise, had a drink, had a play, just before they go to sleep (I know it seems like every 5 minutes!). Everytime they take care of business outside (or anywhere that is the right place) make a big fuss of them and they soon get the idea. The only draw back with our dog was that he insisted he had to go outside and not on the newspaper after only a few days (not so funny at 2 in the morning!) Just when you think the days of regular feeds and cleaning s**t & wee and comforting a tiny helpless creature when it cries are over! They are brilliant fun though, good luck
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:11 am
Go Banana's !!

10th Feb

Think the poster above has speed read my diary and hasn't picked up on the fact that Smudge is now a well behaved little sod!! But very nice to have offered the advice.

Well Warren has been in his new job for nearly a week now and absolutely loves the new challange. I don't feel it is right for me to give away too much personal information, as you never know who is tuning in. Just to say it's with an international company and despite all the tripe on here it's a damn fantastic job, lots of perks, international travel and a damn good salary to boot. If you look hard enough you will find a job. Perth actually has the lowest unemployment since 1974 and is growing at a sometimes alarming rate. Totally agree with Larissa on another post that Perth really has to plan for the future, there are houses springing up everywhere:scared: (including ours) and where is the water to support that? I get very cross when I see people with re-tic on their verges at noon

The house is coming along very rapidly and they start the roof on Wednesday!!

My shopping days are well and truely resumed and now Warren is back to work, I feel that my life has gone back to normal (my version of normal does however differ to 99.9% of the population).

Funny how this just all feels right, it just does. It feels all back to normal now Warren has a job. Apart from the fact that his journey home is now 20 mins home instead of 2 hours!! Totally excited about the new house and can't wait to move in. Still doing the rounds with quotes etc.

I do stand by my earlier rant at coffee today, that I hate food shopping!!!!!!! with a passion. I do miss being able to go in M&S and pick up 5 ready made meal ideas, that I can prick the top and slam in the oven. I love cooking, but some nights I don't want to have to think about it, most stuff I do from scratch.

I hate the layout of the food stores here, I just wish Coles etc wouldn't lay them out in long isles, I find it quite oppressive. I like the way M&S have short isles all in different directions, personal choice really, rant over.

Made chicken and mushroom pie last night including the pastry (flaky), which Imogen and I made together. It tasted yummy, but some further recipe development is required as it was a bit flat. I knew I had used too soft a butter, but tried to wing it. I do so wish I had kept all my college notes!. Before I did my Food Science Degree I did a two year B-Tec in Bakery Science and Technology, so it was quite a challange trying to remember all the stuff from erm......... 20 years ago, Christ that long eek eek eek.

Contemplated living as Troll again for the day, cos some posts on here are just beyond me, but decided I had better things to do with my time.

I just want to give people hope and glimpse of life here. It's not paradise but is damn bloody close. Yes I miss Marks and Spencer, yes I miss my Mum and yes I wish Next would send to Oz and lets not mention the mourning of my car , but hey Perth can't have everything and the pluses far outwiegh the minuses you have. Allow yourself a rant every now and again, it's quite normal, doesn't mean you are a winger.

If you come with the right attitude, be practical, be honest with each other, be prepared to work hard to get yourself set up, do lots of research, can accept change and have a loving and strong family, you'll be fine.

All in all not much else to add apart from a big thankyou to Teresa for a lovely day and the cream cheese stuffed peppers, my favs.

Loads planned over the next few weeks as usual, must go now being dragged away to look at cinema projectors - hard life (he he)

Jill

Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:25 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

I just want to give people hope and glimpse of life here. It's not paradise but is damn bloody close. Yes I miss Marks and Spencer, yes I miss my Mum and yes I wish Next would send to Oz and lets not mention the mourning of my car , but hey Perth can't have everything and the pluses far outwiegh the minuses you have. Allow yourself a rant every now and again, it's quite normal, doesn't mean you are a winger.
What do you mean Next doesn't deliver to Oz? :scared:

I can live without M&S (don't cook, have hubby to do that), I'm taking the Merc regardless and can set a webcam up to see my Mum BUT ... no Next??

You ARE joking, aren't you?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:27 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Stop being so predictably materialistic girls and spare a thought for us footie-less males.
Next please.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
What do you mean Next doesn't deliver to Oz? :scared:

I can live without M&S (don't cook, have hubby to do that), I'm taking the Merc regardless and can set a webcam up to see my Mum BUT ... no Next??

You ARE joking, aren't you?
If you are that desperate, get a friend, mum etc to buy and send. Presumably you know your size, you can access the web site to choose.

Anyway if everyone else has no idea of fashion you will stick out like a sore thumb. - Perhaps not, someone said on here recently that one of the shops was selling stuff identical to Next for sensible prices.

I think I can live without Next - not over impressed but that's me. Hate shopping - whether food or clothes or furniture or anything. My idea of hell.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:11 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Ladies fashion here in Aus is great.

So little for so little

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.