Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:39 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

1st April - Update may jump around abit as I have lost track of whats going on !!

Geeze I moved 12 thousand miles to get away from weather like this, where's the sun gone? It's freezing cold, pouring with rain and blowing a hoolie.

Imogen got soaked at school along with the rest of the school children. WA is just not set up for rain, the place goes loopy and traffic goes crazy. I do parking patrol at school on a Friday and it was chaos. The shelter that the school has just spent 18 months getting funds and permission to build, provided absoulutely no shetler from the wind and rain whatsoever and the poor little mites didn't have coats. Think I saw 2 children with coats on out of about 150 !! including my daughter as her's is in storage. Just been on the M&S website and getting Mother to send me one over. Mad ? me ? never, it actually works out cheaper for the quality I can get. Don't want a big thick thing, just one that will keep the rain out, so I'm sending mother out on her mission.

I realise I haven't done an update for ages, but I feel a bit of a fraud just talking about everyday life. Things are going amazingly well for us. We have had some great days out, spent time with family out here and buying loads of stuff for the house. Bought all the carpets last week and seriously got a cracking deal - very cheeky, but hey it's money and I ain't parting with one single cent I don't have to. Bed bought aswell, for us and very pleased with that deal too. Went to practically every Bed Shed in WA and finally got a price we were happy with.

Coffee yesterday with the girls was a great success, some more newbies came along and we seem to be once again really swelling the numbers. The Dome at Hilarys is an ideal place to meet and until further notice it will be held there every Thursday at 12 noon.

Roof is nearly finished on the house, so electrician is going in next week.

Warren is loving his job, very busy, but as long as that pay check keeps coming in who am I to complain?

Imogen has finished her gifted children programme and they did a fab circus show at the end.

Had the 'Haircut from Hell' this week. My stylist is in London on holiday so I had to have a new girl. In the words of Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, when she goes back to the clothes shop were the women where horrible to her "BIG MISTAKE"
I came out looking like Freddie Boswells' older sister, all spiky and very scary looking :scared: I cried all the way up the West Coast Highway - ran through the door at home and promptly washed it again. Arh well it'll grow, looks like when ya mam takes you to the hairdressers and gets it cut by the head washer !!

Looking at planing a holiday for July, but can't decide where to go as we want to see it all now. Plus we would love to go over to Lake Loiuse in Canada (for Christmas 2006 ) and do a tour of the Rockies. Warren has brought some brochures home another BIG MISTAKE as it looks absoluetly stunning, but would mean going without any major holidays until then, which means no July holiday. But living here is like being on holiday, so recon we could survive. I'm all for us Warren just needs a little nudge in the right direction, I'm working on it - help me out guys

Bought some more shoes this week, but the best part of this wek is that the lovely lady on the Clarins counter has given me a Clarins display unit for my bathroom !! I have been after one for years and she rang me up today to say they were changing the counter tops and did I want the old one. I'm sad I know buut totally rapped as I now have somewhere to put all my stuff, it's brand new and looks fab. It was worth moving here just for that LOL.

Anyway must really go now as we are off to swimming BTW I have enrolled in adult swimming lessons so I can then get my PADI diving and go diving with Warren, so wish me luck. Also need to get fit again so it will help. Can't have my 7 year old swimming better than me.

Really must go, busy, busy, busy but loving it emmensly.

Tatty bye

ps haven't checked for typos - sorry.

Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:41 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

"rapped?" - oh lordy, the transformation is nearly complete. A few more months and you'll be a fully fledged Aussie!

Glad it's all going so well not at all jealous!

Jules
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 1:47 am
Go Banana's !!

3rd April

Life my be near damn perfect, but it didn't stop me watching Top of The Pops on UK TV last night with tears streaming down my face. You see Maggy had told me that Peter Kay was number one with "Is this the Way to Amerillo"- so I had to tune in.

The video was magnificently cheesy, featuring some real oldies from the past, even Shakin' Stevens makes an appearance.

It just made me really miss that British sense of humour. You see, you just block out those things from your mind that you miss and concentrate on what you have, but sometimes it just catches you.

I'm tikkety boo this morning, but just wanted to share this with you guys.

Jill

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 6:21 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to read your thread. I had started to despair a bit about leaving England as there are quite a few negative threads. Yours has given me hope!

I had never thought about leaving England, well certainly not for Aus, had thought about retiring to somewhere in Europe but that would have been a long time off. Suddenly the 'other half' is headhunted and before I know it we are leaving. He lived in Perth for 7 years but that was quite a while ago. I have never stepped inside the country! Have no preconcieved ideas about Aus or the Australians and looking forward to a new adventure.

Keep up the swimming lessons - you will love diving once you start - it's addictive!

V
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:09 pm
Go Banana's !!

Mon April 4th

Please read the 'Cats to Perth' thread then you'll realise who the brains of this outfit belong to , on the other hand I could cut and paste it for you......

Extracted from thread:

No idea about this one, but I know that once you are here there are loads of places that do 'Cat Boarding'.

Laughed my pretty little ass off yesterday when Warren remarked, as we were travelling up to Yanchep:

"Cat boarding ? that must be a new sport, wonder if it's like snow boarding, but on sand?"

He felt very stupid when he realised we had just gone past a cattery. I milked it for all it was worth.

I just felt now was the idea opportunity to mention it.

Night night peeps

Jill

Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fozzie
Thanks for the great insight.

Really enjoying the posts.

Michelle
Hi Michelle

Where abouts in derbyshire are you, I'm living in Derby and thinking of emigrating to Melbourne or Brisbane cant decide!

When are you hoping to go?

Laura
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:45 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Mon April 4th

Please read the 'Cats to Perth' thread then you'll realise who the brains of this outfit belong to , on the other hand I could cut and paste it for you......

Extracted from thread:

No idea about this one, but I know that once you are here there are loads of places that do 'Cat Boarding'.

Laughed my pretty little ass off yesterday when Warren remarked, as we were travelling up to Yanchep:

"Cat boarding ? that must be a new sport, wonder if it's like snow boarding, but on sand?"

He felt very stupid when he realised we had just gone past a cattery. I milked it for all it was worth.

I just felt now was the idea opportunity to mention it.

Night night peeps

Jill

This made me chuckle so much. But if Warren wants to take up cat boarding I know someone who would have a go with him. Would you tie one to each foot?

It's ok, I love cats so they wouldn't be using mine. Hubby on the other hand - no so keen - he's glad they won't be headed perth way with us.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:12 am
Go Banana's !!

Wed 6th April

This should be the Frank Spencer Diaries, as a series of unfortunate events has happened over the last 3 days, just minor accidents, but someone up there has disturbed my karma balance!!!

Firstly I twisted my ankle at Yanchep caves (my weak one) and I now sport a limp. Then on Monday night I quite badly burnt the inside of my arm on the oven. It's actually quite painful and itchy and I keep catching it, which is doing the healing process no good what so ever.

But the mother of all accidents happened yesterday - you'll wince at this one!!!

I helped our cousins move house on Monday and on Tuesday I went round with a bunch of flowers and a card to welcome them to their new abode.

In an effort to help I said that I would find a vase and put them in water for her. I was chatting away as usual and proceeded to cut the flower stems with a pair of scissors. Somehow the first finger of my left hand got in the way.

Now look at your hands everyone.................. see the wrinkly part of skin on your knuckles (the bit where you bend your fingers) Well I cut that whole section clean off !!:scared: Leaving a red gaping hole.

Oooooo dear I did go a bit giddy, but remained calm while all around me started to panic, yelling things like "hospital!". I said no, no I'll be fine and tried to compress the bleeding.

An hour later it still hadn't stopped so I wrapped it up and went to the local chemist to see if they had more substantial wound preparations.

By the time I got there the blood was traveling down my elbow - yeeewwwwie. The chemist took one look at me and sent me next door to the doctor.

In the rush I had forgotten my handbag!! so the Aunty had to rush it round.

The docs were brilliant and saw me straight away. They couldn't stitch it because I have no skin on my knuckle, you could see right down to my muscle tissue, with all the veins running through, fancinating. It looked like the make-up department of Casualty, not MY finger. If they had tried to stitch it I would have been left with a finger that I couldn't bend.

They have packed the wound with a seeweed bandage and wrapped it all in stretchy white tape that I will have to have removed by the doc on Monday, to assess the damage. I may need some minor plastic surgery. (major would be the face LOL).

The coffee girls on Thursday can have good chuckle. Any newbies just look for the White Finger !

Gettting ready in this morning was a performance as my hand is throbbing and I have to keep the dressing clean, so I had to shower in a latex glove (mmm nice) blow drying my hair and putting my make -up was a challange. Had to keep the glove on as we don't want Clarins no.10 tinted moisturizer all over the dressing, as it has to stay on until Monday.

So guys, can I have lots of Karma please. I'm being kept away from electrical items and small children at present

A sore banana

Jill

PS it ended up an expensive bunch of flowers the docs cost me $40 !!

Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:26 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Well I cut that whole section clean off !!:scared: Leaving a red gaping hole.

They couldn't stitch it because I have no skin on my knuckle, you could see right down to my muscle tissue, with all the veins running through, fancinating. It looked like the make-up department of Casualty, not MY finger. If they had tried to stitch it I would have been left with a finger that I couldn't bend.
OMG!!! Arghhhh! That's horrific! :scared:

Karma coming your way (as long as I don't have to spread it)

Hmmm, I've had about 5 papercuts in 2 weeks, does that deserve karma too? (one is in between my fingers..... another on inside of knuckle)
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:44 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

OMG ow ow ow ow
You poor thing!! Sounds like something I'd do

Hope you feel better really soon!!

Siren xoxox
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:20 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
OMG ow ow ow ow
You poor thing!! Sounds like something I'd do

Hope you feel better really soon!!

Siren xoxox
Hey, good idea with the new user name!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 7:52 am
Go Banana's !!

Fri April 8th

Someone up there really doesn't like me tthis week!!!! I'll be damn glad when it's over.

Just to top this week I have pranged my car !!

Someone tried to pull into the parking space next to me, while I was pulling out of my space. They caught my bumper on thier wheel and it ripped clean off. It made sicken crunch. I'm fine, a bit tearful, Wonder Wozza came to the rescue, but at least no-one was hurt.

I'm off to glug not sip.............(quote Vegimite Kids)

Jill

Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:19 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

oh dear you really are having a bad week :scared:

I suggest you stay in, lock all the doors, get a good bottle of wine, dvd's and 'DON'T MOVE'.

Sending karma to heal the pains (if it will let me)

Take care

Louise
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:31 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

They say things come in threes. So with your ankle, hand injury and now your car hopefully this will be the last of it for a while. Fingers crossed for a good weekend. Have a good one.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:04 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Fri April 8th

Someone up there really doesn't like me tthis week!!!! I'll be damn glad when it's over.

Just to top this week I have pranged my car !!

Someone tried to pull into the parking space next to me, while I was pulling out of my space. They caught my bumper on thier wheel and it ripped clean off. It made sicken crunch. I'm fine, a bit tearful, Wonder Wozza came to the rescue, but at least no-one was hurt.

I'm off to glug not sip.............(quote Vegimite Kids)

Jill
Just sent you some karma to help heal the injuries.

You really have had a bit of a time with it havent you

Warren, a wee bit of wife-spoiling is needed this weekend (thats an order ! )

Jill, glug away It will definately help, in fact there's very little a good glug cant cure

Luv
M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.