Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

? ban on overseas nurses

? ban on overseas nurses

Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

carlalesemily will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ? ban on overseas nurses

I was at a seminar a few weeks ago in glasgow with queensland health and they were saying that they are very very short of nurses and were looking to sponsor people. however i feel that i want the flexibility, so have gone for the 175 visa. and i will apply to queensland health once i get the visa.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be very careful if you go down the sponsored route, that you don't end up in some dead beat, rural or remote place/community & there are quite a few in all states!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

carlalesemily will become famous soon enough

Hi

I know, that is the reason why we are going with the 175 visa, so we can hopefully pick where we go etc and i can work part time, well that is the plan anyway.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cs259cr
Hi all, i'm new to this so please bear with me.

I would like to emigrate to Perth in the near future, ideally in March, so I rang a few hospitals and they informed me that there is a 'ban' on recruiting overseas nurses at present as there aren't enough jobs for Australian nurses. I was told it was some sort of agreement between immigration and ?some other department.

Has anyone else heard of this? If so do you know how long it is going to last? I'm at a loss at what to start with re emigrating. Have sent off for my IELTS today, do i send my details to the nursing board when i have done the test or before?

Would appreciate your input, Cx

the west australian health department sent out a memo that they would not employ international students who underwent their nurse training in australia until all australian graduates had posts. and if there is one thing the aussies are good at, it is looking after their own.

this is the first time this has happened - some newly qualified nurses have not got a job to go to. specialty positions (paeds, crit care etc) are also extremely limited.

in WA, the big hospitals are making people redundant - its gone from paying people $500 to recruit a friend to more than 50 applicants for one job. the pay offs in the mines has led to more part time female nurses upping their hours as their husbands laid off/overtime stopped. funding for study days etc has dried up.

there are still posts in hard to fill jobs - elderly/rehab/nursing homes etc. the slowdown wont last as it never does, so just leave it 6 months and it will probably have picked up again.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

thuli07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you get sponsored on the ''hard to fill jobs', i mean nursing homes and the reharb'
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

skoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant future

Hi All,

I posted a similar thread for my wife not so long ago, just thought it might be worth a read for you.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...rsing+in+perth

Regards Ian
Old Nov 13th 2009, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Seem to be plenty of jobs here in Victoria.

Job figures out yesterday said that of the 26000 odd jobs created in the last three months 24,000 of them have been in Victoria.

Of course a lot will be part time or casual but Vic is still the place to be. Much more diversified.

Victoria had to pick itself up after all the downsizing and sell offs and it has and its doing very well now.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thuli07
Can you get sponsored on the ''hard to fill jobs', i mean nursing homes and the reharb'
I think it will be more difficult at the moment - employers are not going to sponsor nurses if they dont need to. the new grads are taking anything to get a foot in the door and start working so the so called hard to fill jobs are easy to fill at the moment.

it will settle down in the future i'm sure - your best bet would be to go for permanent residency rather than temp/sponsorship - by the time you get it, jobs will have picked up again and it gives you the option of moving easily - either from one employer to another if you dont like it, or from one state to another, especially now that national registration is coming in.

there are some sponosored nurses that have lost their jobs and had to leave the country. is going for PR a possibility?
Old Nov 14th 2009, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

If you are interested in Melbourne then have a look at Peninsula Health site
http://www.peninsulahealth.org.au/careersemployment they are looking for nurses and mid wives.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Question Re: ? ban on overseas nurses

is it possible to apply for PR, while you outside ozz, and if possible what are they looking for it terms of documentation?
Old Nov 14th 2009, 7:15 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

is it possible to apply for PR, while you outside ozz, and if possible what are they looking for it terms of documentation?
http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/
Old Nov 14th 2009, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for a reply bcworld, it looks like we'll be going for the PR instead, would anyone know, how much is the annual salary for mental health nurses?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for a reply bcworld, it looks like we'll be going for the PR instead, would anyone know, how much is the annual salary for mental health nurses?
It will depend on which state you are in, your grade & where within that grade you fall.
Try each state's health board for payscales.

Have you checked out the nurses forum on here also?