Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

? ban on overseas nurses

? ban on overseas nurses

Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

cs259cr is on a distinguished road
Default ? ban on overseas nurses

Hi all, i'm new to this so please bear with me.

I would like to emigrate to Perth in the near future, ideally in March, so I rang a few hospitals and they informed me that there is a 'ban' on recruiting overseas nurses at present as there aren't enough jobs for Australian nurses. I was told it was some sort of agreement between immigration and ?some other department.

Has anyone else heard of this? If so do you know how long it is going to last? I'm at a loss at what to start with re emigrating. Have sent off for my IELTS today, do i send my details to the nursing board when i have done the test or before?

Would appreciate your input, Cx
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

thuli07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: ? ban on overseas nurses

You kidding me, i was also thinking of applying around about that time, but with the new developments, it doesnt seem to be looking good. Did you ring Perth only or other parts of OZZ?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ? ban on overseas nurses

That sounds very odd to me & not something I have heard over in QLD.
There certainly is a big push on training more Aus nurses but they are still predicting a major shortfall for years to come, particularly as about 50% of the workforce are due to retire in the next 10-15 years!
Interesting article about it here: http://www.anf.org.au/anf_pdf/anf_su...rce_Future.pdf

If you have enough points for PR, then definitely go down that route. It takes about 12 months but gives you much more freedom, ie you can work part-time, change jobs as you want to, live where you want to etc

There are currently over 2400 nursing & midwifery jobs advertised on Seek btw!

Check out the nursing part of the forum for mure job specific info!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cs259cr
Hi all, i'm new to this so please bear with me.

I would like to emigrate to Perth in the near future, ideally in March, so I rang a few hospitals and they informed me that there is a 'ban' on recruiting overseas nurses at present as there aren't enough jobs for Australian nurses. I was told it was some sort of agreement between immigration and ?some other department.

Has anyone else heard of this? If so do you know how long it is going to last? I'm at a loss at what to start with re emigrating. Have sent off for my IELTS today, do i send my details to the nursing board when i have done the test or before?

Would appreciate your input, Cx
There is no "ban" on overseas nurses here in WA. However, the public hospitals are not sponsoring overseas nurses at the moment. If you come over with your own PR visa then you could probably get a job without too much difficulty. However, if you're looking to get sponsored for a visa/job that's another story.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
There is no "ban" on overseas nurses here in WA. However, the public hospitals are not sponsoring overseas nurses at the moment. If you come over with your own PR visa then you could probably get a job without too much difficulty. However, if you're looking to get sponsored for a visa/job that's another story.
Dorothy is spot on. A couple of years ago public hospitals would sponsor nurses; that door is shut now, mainly due to the hospitals cutting their budgets more than anything else.

Having said that, there are a number of private hospitals in WA - some of them may well still be recruiting from overseas.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Dorothy is spot on. A couple of years ago public hospitals would sponsor nurses; that door is shut now, mainly due to the hospitals cutting their budgets more than anything else.

Having said that, there are a number of private hospitals in WA - some of them may well still be recruiting from overseas.
I don't believe that this is the case everywhere in Aus though so perhaps the OP & those interested, should consider other destinations!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 4:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I don't believe that this is the case everywhere in Aus though so perhaps the OP & those interested, should consider other destinations!
Only seems to be WA, other States don't seem to be reporting the same, Qld certainly still seems keen to sponsor.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

WA does have jobs for nurses.
My town has advertisements for the private hospital and the state hospital all the time, needing Nurses and Midwives.

Ive also spoken to local nurses and they say jobs available in WA and spoken to nurses in other states who say their is more of a shortage.

I think if you come over to Australia you would get a job.

However sponsorship is another matter.

Gems
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

joje is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just about to do the ielts too - so am at the same stage as you! What I think you need to do is pass the ielts (score 7 on the academic test - possibly easier said than done!), the send these results off with you ANMC application for assessment. Once all that is completed I'm gonna go for a 175 visa (as these are fairly quickly dealt with if you are on the csl). This would then give you the flexibility to move around, if you need to, and apply for posts independently. Good luck!!

Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

tony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud of

" score 7 on the academic test - possibly easier said than done! "

No Kidding! This test ain't a walk in the park
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

I was at a recent seminar run by the states and they were definately trying to get nurses interested in going to oz
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Pam1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My hospial was on a recruitment drive in the UK just 3 weeks ago. Im based In Melbourne
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

cs259cr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by joje
I'm just about to do the ielts too - so am at the same stage as you! What I think you need to do is pass the ielts (score 7 on the academic test - possibly easier said than done!), the send these results off with you ANMC application for assessment. Once all that is completed I'm gonna go for a 175 visa (as these are fairly quickly dealt with if you are on the csl). This would then give you the flexibility to move around, if you need to, and apply for posts independently. Good luck!!

i think i will just do the exam and send off my details to ANMC, ideally wanted to be over by end of march. which visa is the 175? good luck with everything
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cs259cr
i think i will just do the exam and send off my details to ANMC, ideally wanted to be over by end of march. which visa is the 175? good luck with everything
If you intend to be over by the end of March you will likely need to be sponsred. Take a read of the sticky at the top of the forum for processing priorities and how long visas are expected to take.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:07 am
Just Joined

joje is an unknown quantity at this point

The 175 is skilled independent migration - does take longer than the sponsored version. The process seems to take 12-18 months start to finish (if all is straightforward) and sponsored visa a fair bit quicker. It depends on your time frame and how much independence that you want. I decided that I'd rather spend longer getting it sorted here, than be stuck in a job/town/state that I wasn't happy with there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.