Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bad news - father had a stroke

Bad news - father had a stroke

Old Apr 26th 2004, 3:20 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Larissa
Hiya Guys
I got back from a weeks trip to Greece, with my 2 kids, yesterday. What a nightmare of a flight!!! My toddler was really naughty...
It was good to see my parents. Dad has been drinking a lot less, but has the odd beer. He drank a bottle of ouzo the day before we went though & I'm not sure if he'll reduce his alcohol consumption for long.
He's cut down from 30 to 20 fags a day. He seems to be trying, but struggling.
While I was in Greece, my mum was taken to the health centre with a bad asthma attack. She's fine now, but it was her first and she was very frightened. My dad has been told not to smoke in the house and he has been complying with this.
To be honest, I feel really flattened by the whole thing. Mum was told by the doctor that he could die at any time. His arteries have really narrowed and he has liver damage. The doctor told her to be prepared for the practical side of things- it would be hard for her to organise the funeral, bank, house ownership etc. if the worst did happen. They do have a detailed will though. It was really hard to get the flight, so I feel worried that I would not be able to make it to the funeral (if the worst happened) because they bury the dead the next day. She's making enquiries as to whether a mortuary would be availiable so that we could come from England to be with her. Its customary in Greece to have the body sent to your house, to lay out, wash etc. & this would be really hard for mum.
I'm trying to be positive though, taking the kids over really cheered him up - we're planning to go for a pre-migration family holiday in September, so I hope he improves and that we can spend that time together. We're still making plans for Aus and going through the hoops... nothing is certain, so we just have to get on with life. I'm sure we'd drop things if needed.
Dad was much more supportive of our move though. We were out on the balcony in the sun, chatting about which place would be best for a stop-over... he reckons Singapore. I also promised mum to find out which airlines turn a blind eye to smokers - it would be so great for him to come out and see us.
Fingers crossed...
Larissa
Larissa,

That is one tough time you and your family are having, and you really have my sympathy.

I'm an asthma sufferer too so I can see why your Mom was so upset about having such a bad attack - it really is very scary.

You are right about having to 'live the moment' and get on with things - and I'm sure it's what your Dad would want, too. FWIW, Mr Anya's Dad has been pretty ill these last 6 months, with strokes etc, but of all people, he is the most keen for us to get over to Oz.

So I wish all of you the very best of luck, and hope your Dad makes it to Oz for a lovely holiday....

Anya.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 4:27 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Larissa

Thinking of you at this stressful time.

Nice to know that your father is supportive of your move to Oz but must be tough worrying about your mother.

Feel pretty useless at the end of a computer connection with not much to help you with - just wanted to add my sympathies.

Graham
Old Apr 26th 2004, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Ta Graham
Its quite therapeutic to type it out & get it out of my system. I was fine in Greece, but found it quite hard today, being at home on me own with my toddler. Hopefully I'll get back into a routine tomorrow and not be so dithery!
Apologies for going on... I have found everyone to be so supportive, but it's not really the kind of thing people want to hear when they're planning their big move & I totally understand that.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 5:02 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Larissa!!

I meant that I felt useless at the end of a terminal!:scared:

No need to apologise L, I think IT IS helpful for you and us to put these things onto the forum.

Sorry for the confusion

Graham
*cyberhugs*
Old Apr 26th 2004, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Graham! I was having a general paranoid winge - not directed at you or anyone else. I was just starting to think that I shouldn't have posted emotional stuff - it being a public forum and all that. I'm a bit all over the place at the mo!
Sorry!!!
Thanks for both of your replies - hope I haven't made you feel awful
Old Apr 26th 2004, 5:35 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Larissa
Sorry Graham! I was having a general paranoid winge - not directed at you or anyone else. I was just starting to think that I shouldn't have posted emotional stuff - it being a public forum and all that. I'm a bit all over the place at the mo!
Sorry!!!
Thanks for both of your replies - hope I haven't made you feel awful
Larissa,

Feel free anytime, as far as I'm concerned. Even though we lot are only a bunch of virtual friends, I reckon we're doing a pretty good job at supporting each other thru some tough times.

So hang on in there, & post as much angsty stuff as you want.....

Anya.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 5:39 pm
Keeping Busy

Don't worry about me - I never feel awful!! (Nikki says I'm insensitive so I have to be on my guard or she'll make my life hell!!)

Anya said it right.

Take care of yourself and yours.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 7:43 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Larissa..........its times like this when I realise visa worries are really not wories at all. Its humbling to read what you and some of our fellow Expats have had to go through or are going through

I take my hat off to you all........and cross everything in the hope that all works out well for you and you find the strength to cope with what life throws at you.

Take care my friends. Thinking of you

Phoenixuk2oz

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Apr 26th 2004 at 7:46 pm.