Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bad news - father had a stroke

Bad news - father had a stroke

Old Apr 5th 2004, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hi Larissa,

Hope you are feeling a bit more cheerful today........my dad had a stroke about 4 years ago.......got rushed into hospital for teasts, scans the lot......we were all so scared....though `shit` he`s gonna die!!!

I drove to london from here in about 45 minutes, the air was blue as I was swearing at anyone that got in my way!!! Really thought I would kill someone (and I wonder why I have high blood pressure!!)

Anyway he didnt die, he was fine aftter a couple of months, he now lives at Baffins Pond.

I still have a go at him, as he still smokes and drinks!!

He will be fine

Love

Sandra
xxx
Old Apr 5th 2004, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Rinali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bad news - father had a stroke

Hi Larissa,
Dont worry if it is a mild stroke and is on the left side. My father has had a stroke about 4-5 times now - he always complained of very severe dizziness, nausea and vomitting. These are called TIA or mini strokes.

Aspirin is given to thin the blood and avoid risk of clot in the brain. I used to be worried sick when my dad was in hospital.

I will try and look for the sites I have stored - loads of information on strokes - which I hope will be of help to you. Meanwhile your dad is my prayers -

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com...ntral/tia.html
www.umm.edu/news/mini_strokes.html
www.cch.org/hlthmat/pg2a_0800.htm

Take Care

Rina

Originally posted by Larissa
Hiya guys
I've just found out that my dad in Greece has had a stroke & I don't know much else about what is going on. My mum has called a doctor and he's examining him now. Its really frustrating because I have my kids here to look after, so I can't just up and go. If anyone is reading this now I'd really appreciate your thoughts & prayers coz it's a mad situation for me to be in and I don't know much about stroke, so that adds to the worry.
Thanks
Larissa
Old Apr 5th 2004, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for those links - I will try to read through them later as its all going over my head at the moment! We should know more tomorrow when they see the doctor.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

debio is an unknown quantity at this point

Love and prayers for you all.

The fact that he was awake is in itself a good sign.

Hope you have more good news today.

Be strong.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Only just read your news. What a worry!
Good to hear your DAD is at home, will continue to think of you.

A couple of yrs ago my dad collapsed in Devon on holiday and needed a pacemaker fitted, I was living in Singapore at the time, So I understand your anxiety. (the good thing was that Plymouth hospital were brilliant - his GP had told him that there was nothing to worry about each time he passed out!!) so sometimes there's a silver lining-
perhaps your dad will listen the Drs advice and be able to avoid a major stroke
thinking of you
Old Apr 5th 2004, 6:10 pm
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Just seen this thread Larissa. Hope your Dad continues to improve.

Thinking of you

Old Apr 5th 2004, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Oh Larissa,
i know only too well what you are going through, my dad had a stroke about 7 years ago, due to circumstances beyond my control i couldn't be with my dad either and i was beside myself but thankfully he pulled through and is as he was before it happened,
just wanted you to know that my thoughts are with you and my prayers with your dad
hugs
rach xxxx
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:54 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Larissa,

Just a little note to say I'm thinking of you. My grandad had a stroke about 6 years ago now. He made a great recovery and was up and about in no time. I'm sure your dad will be too.

Best Wishes
Sarah
Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:50 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Taking the positive vibes into a new day Larissa.

Take it one step at a time.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Jeannie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Larissa
Hiya guys
I've just found out that my dad in Greece has had a stroke & I don't know much else about what is going on. My mum has called a doctor and he's examining him now. Its really frustrating because I have my kids here to look after, so I can't just up and go. If anyone is reading this now I'd really appreciate your thoughts & prayers coz it's a mad situation for me to be in and I don't know much about stroke, so that adds to the worry.
Thanks
Larissa
Larissa,

This is hard to write. My mum had a stroke last Sunday also. We are in Melbourne, they are in Scotland. Until you go through it, you can't understand how hard it is to be so far away.
We played the waiting game until yesterday, but the doctors have said, that if I am coming, I had better come now, cause she is not expected to last much longer.
The first flight I could get on leaves on Friday night.
Ironically, it was our first year anniversary in Oz yesterday. Not alot of celebrating I'm afraid.
There's so much to organise before I go. Children on school holidays doesn't help!
My thoughts are with you, and I hope your Dad makes a full recovery.

Jeannie
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Jeannie1
Larissa,

This is hard to write. My mum had a stroke last Sunday also. We are in Melbourne, they are in Scotland. Until you go through it, you can't understand how hard it is to be so far away.
We played the waiting game until yesterday, but the doctors have said, that if I am coming, I had better come now, cause she is not expected to last much longer.
Ironically, it was our first year anniversary in Oz yesterday. Not alot of celebrating I'm afraid.
There's so much to organise before I go. Children on school holidays doesn't help!

Jeannie
Larissa and Jeannie

so sorry to hear about your parents, haven't been online for abit as so much going on with move and been helping best friend cope with her grief of losing her Dad.

All best to you all

Teresa x
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for all your kind words & pms. It was a really stressful time, not knowing what was going on etc. He is due to have a scan soon (latest news is he didn't have one after all, this is becoming a tad farsical!). He's at home, able to walk, speech is coming back and he's been off the booze, which is amazing. We're hanging on here, planning to go to Greece when he has recovered - if we all turned up it would add to the stress and he needs to rest. My parents have a small house, we have two kids and he smokes like a trooper! If he takes a turn for the worse, we probably will go. We still don't know the cause (the scan should tell us), but my mum knows who to ring etc. should they need help soon.

Sorry Jeannie to hear you news, will send you a pm next.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:01 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Larissa,

So sorry to hear your news but glad your da is now on the mend!
Sending prayers!

Vicky
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:50 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by vicky o
Larissa,

So sorry to hear your news but glad your da is now on the mend!
Sending prayers!

Vicky

Larissa and Jeannie - hope everything works out for you both.

Will be thinking of you.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 10:09 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jeannie1
Larissa,

Jeannie
Jeannie,
Bummer of bummers.
Not a lot I can say really but offer this cyber support.
What will be will be.
Stay strong. Thinking of you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.