Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bad news - father had a stroke

Bad news - father had a stroke

Old Apr 5th 2004, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by footie chick
My thoughts are with you at this time Larissa.

footie chick

ditto to all the above

arlene xxxx
Old Apr 5th 2004, 8:20 am
Soon to be Visas holders

pete n lisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bad news - father had a stroke

Originally posted by Larissa
Hiya guys
I've just found out that my dad in Greece has had a stroke & I don't know much else about what is going on. My mum has called a doctor and he's examining him now. Its really frustrating because I have my kids here to look after, so I can't just up and go. If anyone is reading this now I'd really appreciate your thoughts & prayers coz it's a mad situation for me to be in and I don't know much about stroke, so that adds to the worry.
Thanks
Larissa

Hi there Larissa

Sending you big cyber hugs and praying all is okay with your dad. Hope you manage to talk him into going back to the hospital, even if it has been a mild stroke always best to get these things looked into thoroughly.

If you need help with the children over these holidays, I am around and not working over Easter.

Have sent you a pm.

Love to you and the family

Lisa xx
Old Apr 5th 2004, 8:25 am
Soon to be Visas holders

pete n lisa is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pete n lisa

Have sent you a pm.

Your pm box is full. Will try again later
Old Apr 5th 2004, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lisa - have just cleared it
Old Apr 5th 2004, 8:39 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

All the best Larissa. My gran has had a few small strokes over the last few years. She is over ninety, still got her marbles and so far the main impact has been on mobility. She does forget funny things but compared to the others in the home she is very sharp.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 9:19 am
Phoenixuk2oz

I don't believe this... in the early hours my dad just walked out of the hospital, refusing treatment. He hasn't been scanned etc. and they don't know the cause of the stroke.
I've literally just got off the phone to my mum & told her to go to the local doctor to find out if they can get him sectioned or whatever, as I don't think he's there mentally. He's just at home in bed!
Talk about frustrating!
Eeee......wot are they like. My father did this on a few occasions too [doesn't like hospitals]

I insisted he went to Doctors. They arranged full check up at Doctors surgery. Maybe you / your Ma could do same?

Don't worry Larissa....I'm sure he will be OK. He sounds like he's one helluva stubborn survivor to me

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 5th 2004, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Eeee......wot are they like. My father did this on a few occasions too [doesn't like hospitals]

I insisted he went to Doctors. They arranged full check up at Doctors surgery. Maybe you / your Ma could do same?

Don't worry Larissa....I'm sure he will be OK. He sounds like he's one helluva stubborn survivor to me

Phoenixuk2oz
Thankyou... stubborns the word! The latest news is that my mum has spoken to the doctor who came to the house & supervised his admission to the hospital. He did actually have all the tests (bloods, urine and scan) its just he couldn't remember. He is due to see the doctor with my mother tomorrow and has medication to take. The local doctors are well trained and have a good command of English.
I spoke to him on the phone and gave him a good ticking off & told him that I love him etc. and threatened to give him a good kick up the backside. He's fairly good humoured thankfully.
The tests showed some liver damage and he's been told to stay off the booze for a month. The tests also showed that he did have a stroke but it was fairly mild. I've told mum that its a wake up call.
The whole thing has been really frustrating as everything has been happening now & I couldn't get there in under a day. Then I have the kids - my eldest would be fine staying with friends, but the sprog would be lost without me. So, I feel more use being on the phone etc. and encouraging my mum to get the help. She's quite strong really and knows the Greek healthcare system etc. and is good at getting the help.
My husband has offered to get home (he's at work) if needed and we could all go out there - the expense would be tremendous though and I'm not sure that it's fair putting my eldest child through it all. The little one has also been really upset and grouchy and I think I just need to chill so that the kids don't pick up on the tension. I think its a case of hanging on here for now.
Sorry about the wiffle waffle - its hard to express everything and my head is somewhat confused!
Old Apr 5th 2004, 9:47 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Thankyou... stubborns the word! The latest news is that my mum has spoken to the doctor who came to the house & supervised his admission to the hospital. He did actually have all the tests (bloods, urine and scan) its just he couldn't remember. He is due to see the doctor with my mother tomorrow and has medication to take. The local doctors are well trained and have a good command of English.
I spoke to him on the phone and gave him a good ticking off & told him that I love him etc. and threatened to give him a good kick up the backside. He's fairly good humoured thankfully.
The tests showed some liver damage and he's been told to stay off the booze for a month. The tests also showed that he did have a stroke but it was fairly mild. I've told mum that its a wake up call.
The whole thing has been really frustrating as everything has been happening now & I couldn't get there in under a day. Then I have the kids - my eldest would be fine staying with friends, but the sprog would be lost without me. So, I feel more use being on the phone etc. and encouraging my mum to get the help. She's quite strong really and knows the Greek healthcare system etc. and is good at getting the help.
My husband has offered to get home (he's at work) if needed and we could all go out there - the expense would be tremendous though and I'm not sure that it's fair putting my eldest child through it all. The little one has also been really upset and grouchy and I think I just need to chill so that the kids don't pick up on the tension. I think its a case of hanging on here for now.
Sorry about the wiffle waffle - its hard to express everything and my head is somewhat confused!
Sounds like your father is going to be OK Larissa. Thank goodness.

As you say....a wake up call so hopefully he takes it easy [and your mum....easy to forget about the carrer].

Get yourself a nice cuppa tea [or something stronger] and put your feet up. Buggar the housework. You sound like you've had a mad night and need the rest

Keep us posted. Fingers crossed.

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 5th 2004, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Ta for that! We've had a really mad weekend (medicals on Friday, went well, then went to Brum to see family) and this has hit us like a tonne of bricks! The kids are really tired and I'm considering starting on an easter egg for therapeutic reasons, of course!

This might sound odd, but it probably is good that mum has been able to manage the situation herself as she doubts herself a lot. If we go to Aus (everything seems uncertain now) then they'll have to be that bit more independent. He really needs to sort out his lifestyle too...
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:03 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Ta for that! We've had a really mad weekend (medicals on Friday, went well, then went to Brum to see family) and this has hit us like a tonne of bricks! The kids are really tired and I'm considering starting on an easter egg for therapeutic reasons, of course!

This might sound odd, but it probably is good that mum has been able to manage the situation herself as she doubts herself a lot. If we go to Aus (everything seems uncertain now) then they'll have to be that bit more independent. He really needs to sort out his lifestyle too...

I know where you're coming from there - you just get everything sorted and then something like this happens like a bolt from the blue.

My dad is like your mum - doubts his ability to cope on his own. He had a nervous breakdown when my mum got sick and looking after him has been more effort than looking after my mum! But, like you, I'm glad that he has had to get used to dealing with stuff like this now because we will be heading to Oz sometime soon and I can't always come jetting back. I worry about moving so far away when my mum is sick, but she is dead set on us going and doesn't want us to put our lives on hold for an indefinite period of time. We've all got to get on and live our lives.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Larissa

Good to hear your father's on the mend - sounds like a stubborn old sod who will be around for many a year yet !

Start on that easter egg - after the last few hours you have had I think you deserve it
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:18 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Hiya guys
I've just found out that my dad in Greece has had a stroke & I don't know much else about what is going on. My mum has called a doctor and he's examining him now. Its really frustrating because I have my kids here to look after, so I can't just up and go. If anyone is reading this now I'd really appreciate your thoughts & prayers coz it's a mad situation for me to be in and I don't know much about stroke, so that adds to the worry.
Thanks
Larissa
Larissa

Am *so* sorry to hear that & hope you get some positive news soon. FWIW, Mr Anya's Dad has had 3 strokes between about last Aug & this Jan & is making a good recovery, tho parts of his mobility and cognitive brain functions will probably always be affected (it's real weird, he can translate the newspaper into French, explain Quantum Theory, but is not sure whether he has a knife or fork in his left hand when we ask him). Most of the time mentally he is just the same - still cracking awful puns etc, but it is the little things connected with mobility that are so tough to recover.

The UK NHS treatment for strokes is very patchy (& where Mr A's Dad lives, the policy is, 'f the patient has a living relative, send them home & the relative can nurse them' Mr Anya's Mom is finding that a bit stressful). However, I am certain that treatment in Greece will be much, much better than it would be if your Dad was here.

All the best, loads of hugs as we know *just* what you're going through - it is horrendous not really knowing what's happening and what effect the sroke has had (some of them have hardly effect, it seems).

Feel free to PM me with any specific quetions & I'll try & answer them, based on our experience with this condition.

Anya & Mr Anya
xxx
Old Apr 5th 2004, 11:25 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear that things dont sound too bad Larissa. Small strokes are very common, indeed sometimes people arent aware they have experienced one at all until it shows on later scans. The difficulties a person experiences depend on the part of the brain in which it happened, so its very personal really and abilities and functioning vary hugely.(some degree of confusion and memory problems is very common immediately after but is usually short term in a small CVA)
Hope your news is good,
definate chocolate therapy required,
Michaela x
Old Apr 5th 2004, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys- have eaten Blim's chocolate orange easter egg and feeling much better... although I'd not eat too much more as I've just got back in all me size 10 stuff and I've been feeling really pleased with meself!
Old Apr 5th 2004, 11:31 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to hear about your panick Larrry. I think that nasty cat needs to be called up for action myself
Lots of hugs, and hope you're ok xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.