Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average Australian wage is $48,276

Average Australian wage is $48,276

Old May 19th 2003, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
There should be less cr*p in the UK sausages than in the Aus ones due to the big kick up in the eighties (in Uk)when it came out what went into sausages (eyeballs included).
There was a report on what went into meat pies recently. Problem is, lots of bits and pieces of an animal are categorized as "meat", including lips and dangly bits. I haven't eaten an Aussie meat pie in 3 years. Too fatty and greasy. I believe the report turned a lot of people off. Jesters make some tasty pies. I don't mind their satay chicken one, but only rarely. I'm just not a meat pie person. My son went through a phase where he liked them a lot but even he's off them, says they make his stomach feel weird. I think they're just too heavy.

As far as sausages, I never buy the typical Aussie sausage. They look so unappealing and greasy. I don't mind buying one at a fundraising sausage sizzle but that's only once in a while. Most butchers make their own. The south African butchers have something fairly tasty called "boerewors" which is quite nice. Italian butchers, like Princi here in Perth make a nice Italian sausage, mild and spicy, thin and thick. That's the sausage we eat most, as well as the Croatian "cevap" sausage, which is beef and not very fatty. Nicely spiced with lots of minced onion. Apparently there's some British Sausage Company that advertises a lot here, not sure what they're like. I guess you'd have to be British to be able to assess them properly.
Old May 19th 2003, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pommie bastard
The only steak I have enjoyed here was at Hogs Breath Cafe which is a group all around Australia , count on over $100 for two but they know how to treat a steak.
We'll have to give Hog's Breath another try. We've only been twice, the first time was fine, the second we were very disappointed. Hubbie had a prime rib but he didn't like it. He compared it to what you get in Canada and the US and he said it wasn't nearly as good. They do excellent steaks there. If you're ever in Vancouver, try the Keg Steakhouse, and the Boathouse. Problem is, every country will have slight differences so it's easy to feel disappointed since you're likely comparing. You just have to accept that it'll be different. We never order Caesar Salads here in Oz because they put an Aussie twist on it and put bacon and chopped boiled egg on it. You never see that in Canada or the US so it's a bit weird and makes an already heavier than normal salad even heavier.

As far as steak, I really like the Sirloin with Six Legs Sauce at Pot Black in Hillarys. I've had it at least three times in the past few months and have not been disappointed. Very tender, thick, juicy sirloin with a nice sauce. I asked for it without sauce once and it was good too. I believe the regular price is $16, but they do it cheaper Monday to Wednesday for $12. Local beers & ales like Boags and Little Creatures are around $4 if I recall correctly.

Pot Black is a family pool and snooker hall, for those who don't know. Not a grotty, seedy place at all. No smoking, no weirdoes, a good place to perhaps spend some time with your kids when they get to be older and not interested in things like petting zoos anymore. We like to play on the full sized snooker tables. There are miniature pool tables but they seem too small to be any fun.
Old May 20th 2003, 1:28 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Perth Helena
As far as steak, I really like the Sirloin with Six Legs Sauce at Pot Black in Hillarys. I've had it at least three times in the past few months and have not been disappointed. Very tender, thick, juicy sirloin with a nice sauce. I asked for it without sauce once and it was good too. I believe the regular price is $16, but they do it cheaper Monday to Wednesday for $12. Local beers & ales like Boags and Little Creatures are around $4 if I recall correctly.

Pot Black is a family pool and snooker hall, for those who don't know. Not a grotty, seedy place at all. No smoking, no weirdoes, a good place to perhaps spend some time with your kids when they get to be older and not interested in things like petting zoos anymore. We like to play on the full sized snooker tables. There are miniature pool tables but they seem too small to be any fun.

Paid $7.00 a pint for little Creatures Pale Ale , been Pot Black the food was average but good outlook , not that cheap to hire tables except in the Mornings Mon -Friday a lot of schools send their kids there.
The OB makes a good chicken Caesar Salad very good , try new noodle cafe in Joondalup ( old Panda chinese) not fancy but dirt cheap .

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 20th 2003 at 1:30 am.
Old May 20th 2003, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Good to see you haven't changed your tune over the last few months PB So if you paid $7 for a pint, what would you pay in a pommie pub........hmmmmm that's right about the same... You really have to stop converting, when in another country you can not compare with a conversion rate. and BTW I found the Brit pubs a lot more expensive than the aussie ones - and that was without converting!!
We never made it home in March, decided to move house (which I think you know). We are now coming for a 2 month hol in November/December. What the heck are you still doing in such a backward sh@t house country anyway. Thought you were going home. I think you may be the one in for a shock then.....:scared:
Old May 20th 2003, 2:20 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suebo
Good to see you haven't changed your tune over the last few months PB So if you paid $7 for a pint, what would you pay in a pommie pub........hmmmmm that's right about the same... You really have to stop converting, when in another country you can not compare with a conversion rate. and BTW I found the Brit pubs a lot more expensive than the aussie ones - and that was without converting!!
We never made it home in March, decided to move house (which I think you know). We are now coming for a 2 month hol in November/December. What the heck are you still doing in such a backward sh@t house country anyway. Thought you were going home. I think you may be the one in for a shock then.....:scared:
With the way the Dollar has gone up about 2/3 s of the price of a pint here plus we will earn far more .
My wife is working with a new girl at work shes already moaning at the poor wages here and how her money goes nowhere, doing same job as she was in the UK.
Off in August thats the earlest we can move the dogs , want a town house in Joondalup been up 4 weeks now will give you a good price.

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 20th 2003 at 2:26 am.
Old May 20th 2003, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Paid $7.00 a pint for little Creatures Pale Ale , been Pot Black the food was average but good outlook ,
Cheaper at Pot Black. I paid the same price as any local brew, not the price of imports. The OB seems pricey. I only pay $6.50 for imports at Durty Nellys - Kilkenny, Stella, Becks are my favourites.

Obviously it's a matter of taste when it comes to food, as I found the steak at Pot Black better than average and I'd say the Hog's Breath was average, nothing to write home about. Even disappointing the last time we were there. Maybe their chef was having a bad hair day that time.

The OB makes a good chicken Caesar Salad very good , try new noodle cafe in Joondalup ( old Panda chinese) not fancy but dirt cheap .
If the Caesar Salad's been ruined with bacon bits and chopped egg, I won't be ordering it, thanks. Besides, the one I make is better so I'm spoiled

I've been curious about the noodle cafe, maybe I will give it a go next time I'm up that way. We head south mostly when we go to restaurants as there's a good selection in places like Subi. Got a nice surprise when we tried La Tosca on Scarborough Beach Road. It's in the middle of all that commercial district but it was excellent. The Vitello Tonnato was beautiful as was the Capretto. And they make their own gelato. Not fancy decor but very good, authentic Italian food.

Good luck,

Helena
Old May 20th 2003, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

LOL, I don't think I need a TH at this time. I am actually thinking of selling our other home there -with the dollar dropping to the US. But gotta wait and see what the tax manis going to hit us with the sale of the other property last year. You get away with nothing in this country
I'll be checking out that noodle house when I get back. This so call "advanced" country has not good eating places - well not anywhere near where I live anyway. Have to drive 3 hours to NYC to get a good Malaysian meal.
Old May 20th 2003, 3:02 am
Banned

Originally posted by suebo
LOL, I don't think I need a TH at this time. I am actually thinking of selling our other home there -with the dollar dropping to the US. But gotta wait and see what the tax manis going to hit us with the sale of the other property last year. You get away with nothing in this country
I'll be checking out that noodle house when I get back. This so call "advanced" country has not good eating places - well not anywhere near where I live anyway. Have to drive 3 hours to NYC to get a good Malaysian meal.
Too far out in the sticks girl , you should wind up the we love Yankie land mob , me and you are not far apart on disliking were we live.
No place like home?

Old May 20th 2003, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Re Dotty's entry on chicken breasts - over here there is an article of "clothing" called chicken fillets (look like the thing you normally sautee with white wine and shallots but are filled with a gel - get the picture) that is put in the bras of underendowed girls to give them a bit more oomph. Very popular in London I believe. Maybe that is what those butchers were suffering with and it was wrongly reported by the media (I saw these garments on a programme about how to dress yourself hosted by two posh women called Trinnie and Susanah).

Anyways in Perth I found nice meat around Fremantle in the Italian and Croatian butcher shops and they make up sausages in front of you. In Adelaide there is the Adelaide Central market with big variety of produce. Aus like anywhere else you get what you pay for with meat. Cheap cuts and imports are usually pumped full of god knows what.

E
Old May 20th 2003, 6:24 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

I don't normally read post's that drag on and on like this, but I gave this one a go. Thankyou PB for making me chuckle, even though 99.9% of what you say is utter b*ll*cks. You really are a whinger on a monumental scale.
We'll done kiwi for sticking up to the silly old sod!
Old May 20th 2003, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PommieBastard

On Saturaday Lunch we ate at the Indiana Tea House on the coast here a very average meal but better than average place it cost $140 with 2 drinks.
PS the last time back in the UK (2 years ago) I ate a 32 ounce steak it cost me 10 quid at the local pub and it had taste.

If I'm not mistaken the Indiana tea House is on the beach front in Cottesloe, Prime tourist location....... bareley comparable with a pub lunch prices.
It would be a little more informative (and honest) to compare like with like
Old May 20th 2003, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

rainingagain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chippy
I don't normally read post's that drag on and on like this, but I gave this one a go. Thankyou PB for making me chuckle, even though 99.9% of what you say is utter b*ll*cks. You really are a whinger on a monumental scale.
We'll done kiwi for sticking up to the silly old sod!
99.9%? you're generous chippy! i'd say 100%
Old May 20th 2003, 11:38 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Stoney
Originally posted by PommieBastard

On Saturaday Lunch we ate at the Indiana Tea House on the coast here a very average meal but better than average place it cost $140 with 2 drinks.
PS the last time back in the UK (2 years ago) I ate a 32 ounce steak it cost me 10 quid at the local pub and it had taste.

If I'm not mistaken the Indiana tea House is on the beach front in Cottesloe, Prime tourist location....... bareley comparable with a pub lunch prices.
It would be a little more informative (and honest) to compare like with like
It is indeed one of the better areas on the coast , but the food is not top of the range and Pub meals here are around $20 plus , you pay for what you get here and location costs as anywere .
Wages being very poor here its not cheap to drink or eat in a good Pub or resturant , but you can eat in iffy Asian noodle cafes cheap.

Old May 21st 2003, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

It is indeed one of the better areas on the coast , but the food is not top of the range and Pub meals here are around $20 plus , you pay for what you get here and location costs as anywere .
Wages being very poor here its not cheap to drink or eat in a good Pub or resturant , but you can eat in iffy Asian noodle cafes cheap.

At least PB is now admiting you can get reasonable meals for $20 plus.

I couldn't be bothered to cook last night so I called into an Italian resturant on the way home and had the special which was Fish, chips and salad, with Cheese cake to follow and 2 glasses of house wine. This cost $35, in an average resturant in an average Brisbane suburb. 99% of resturants in Australia will serve meals at this sort of price.

Could be the reason PB has to spend so much in resturants is he drive his wife crazy with his fussy eating habits, and she refuses to cook for him anymore.

I can just imagine PB complaining to his wife about the meal shes cooked, the meats underdone, the meats burnt, why didn't you use more garlic, are these veggies organic, why didnt you steam then, why didn't you boil them, etc, etc.

Mrs PB you have my sympthy
Old May 21st 2003, 12:21 am
Banned

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
At least PB is now admiting you can get reasonable meals for $20 plus.

You could buy the same meals in a Pub in the UK for 7 quid , so what ? ,big plus more quids in your wage packet.
My wife has a job lined up that will pay nearly the same in pounds take home as she gets in dollars , monkeys work for peanuts , fancy a banana?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.