Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average Australian wage is $48,276

Average Australian wage is $48,276

Old May 16th 2003, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Took 9 years to get anywhere near my wage 9 years ago in the UK too.
Went out the OB last night the new guy has put up the price of a pint up to $7.00 .
Good meal out here count on over $100 for two , on a meal no better than a Pub meal back in the UK you pay 10 quid each for.
You should go back and find out seeing that you so out of touch?

Nice to know how better off you are we have gone backwards but who cares you live on Lobster we eat sausage as do most here , can of beans $1.20 is all we can afford on a good week to go with a $3.00 loaf , saving up for the eggs.

I would say a steak in the the very best Brisbane resaturants would cost no more than $30 with say $10 for starter and $10 for sweet. So you are obviously living a millionaire lifestyle over their in Perth, but don't try and imply this is normal for the average Aussie.

Also the only fish I eat is fish and chips, I just gave the lobster as an example, so people could compare what prices are out here.

You obviously do the shopping and buy the first thing you see cos Baked Beans every 2 nd week sell for less than $0.80 and thats the branded variety (Heinz or Watties).

Even with my grocery buget of $50 per week I can have steak 3 or 4 times a week at home. You seem to be the classic case of a male whos hasn't a clue when it comes to shopping.

On the shortcut I included to greengrocer.com (that you supplied previously) the price of BB is only $1.02. or 3 for $2.22.

Facts don't lie. It's even sweeter when you are hoisted by your own petard.
Old May 16th 2003, 4:06 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Even with my grocery buget of $50 per week I can have steak 3 or 4 times a week at home. You seem to be the classic case of a male whos hasn't a clue when it comes to shopping.

On the shortcut I included to greengrocer.com (that you supplied previously) the price of BB is only $1.02. or 3 for $2.22.

You live on $50 dollars a week , Steak is $17 a kilo you would need to eat portions that would not feed my small dogs .
The cheapest bread here is $2.00 a loaf very poor quality at that.
Look Pal $200 dollars a week with non food items just about covers our bill , your bollocks is just that.
On Saturaday Lunch we ate at the Indiana Tea House on the coast here a very average meal but better than average place it cost $140 with 2 drinks.
PS the last time back in the UK (2 years ago) I ate a 32 ounce steak it cost me 10 quid at the local pub and it had taste.

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 16th 2003 at 4:37 am.
Old May 16th 2003, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

You live on $50 dollars a week , Steak is $17 a kilo you would need to eat portions that would not feed my small dogs .
The cheapest bread here is $2.00 a loaf very poor quality at that.
Look Pal $200 dollars a week with non food items just about covers our bill , your bollocks is just that.
On Saturaday Lunch we ate at the Indian Tea House on the coast here a very average meal but better than average place it cost $140 with 2 drinks.
PS the last time back in the UK (2 years ago) I ate a 32 ounce steak it cost me 10 quid at the local pub and it had taste.

1kg of steak will give me meat for 4 meals.

NO WAY could I eat 1kg (32ounce = 1kg approx) of steak in one sitting and I don't think many other people would either , but I could be wrong.

That could be why we disagree so much on costs, as you seem to eat 4 times as much as I do.

Obviously steak hasn't gone up in price in the UK if you can get a 1kg steak meal for 10 pounds. So maybe wages haven't gone up either. I've not been back since I left 10 years ago.
Old May 16th 2003, 5:25 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

1kg of steak will give me meat for 4 meals.

NO WAY could I eat 1kg (32ounce = 1kg approx) of steak in one sitting and I don't think many other people would either , but I could be wrong.

That could be why we disagree so much on costs, as you seem to eat 4 times as much as I do.

Obviously steak hasn't gone up in price in the UK if you can get a 1kg steak meal for 10 pounds. So maybe wages haven't gone up either. I've not been back since I left 10 years ago.
No there 2 of us , my ex work mates thought I was taking the piss when I told them what I earned in Australia ,they would not let me buy a round they said I should be on welfare.
The Pub had an all you eat grill for 14 quid it was as large as a serving plate on it was liver, bacon, lamb, steak , mushrooms ,sausage ,eggs and chips , if you finished it on your own they gave you another free , bad business no way would you be able to down any more drink after that.

Old May 16th 2003, 5:36 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Was that one of the 'Big Steak' pubs? (Genuine question - it's a UK pub brand.)

Cheers - Don
Old May 16th 2003, 5:44 am
Banned

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Was that one of the 'Big Steak' pubs? (Genuine question - it's a UK pub brand.)

Cheers - Don
No just a local country Pub that trys to get people in by under charging on meals , they give far to big a portion we shared our meal not the done thing but we claimed to have turned Aussie.

Old May 16th 2003, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I would say a steak in the the very best Brisbane resaturants would cost no more than $30 with say $10 for starter and $10 for sweet. So you are obviously living a millionaire lifestyle over their in Perth, but don't try and imply this is normal for the average Aussie.

Also the only fish I eat is fish and chips, I just gave the lobster as an example, so people could compare what prices are out here.

You obviously do the shopping and buy the first thing you see cos Baked Beans every 2 nd week sell for less than $0.80 and thats the branded variety (Heinz or Watties).

Firstly on your restaurant figures that is $100 for two without even a drink about $7 each. Paid $94 for basically a corn chip deluge in a Mexican rest here and they charge an extra $3.50 if you want chilli!

All you can eat is pretty gross. Last two we went to had filthy carpets with food trodden in. Sat next to a couple who weighed 40 stone between them and they were trowling the food in. Made me feel sick to be honest. People grabbing food out of the bowls with their fingers. Cost for 4 with 1 drink $117.

You sound single to me. Most people here are bringing a family so food costs would be very different as would transport, household expenses, healthcare etc. We've all had our student/backpacker days enjoy them but please realise family finances are way different.
Old May 16th 2003, 6:13 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

[i]
Also petrol was 63.9c/litre last Sunday, a steak and chips in the equivilent of a Bernie Steak House (The sizzler, they have a web site) with as much soup, salad, paste and sweet as you could eat was $21 excluding drinks.

Sizzler is low priced for a reason, it's s**t. You would definitley need to spend $100 plus for two for a decent meal out, I've just had lunch for two with no alcohol for over $80. Not that I'm complaining, I think these prices quite reasonable and there are some really good places to eat out in Brissy. Sizzler, however, is not one of them.
Old May 16th 2003, 6:15 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
Firstly on your restaurant figures that is $100 for two without even a drink about $7 each. Paid $94 for basically a corn chip deluge in a Mexican rest here and they charge an extra $3.50 if you want chilli!

Foolishly went to Montezuma's in Noosa, spent about $80 on lunch, it was not only the worst Mexican I've eaten it was probably the worst meal out in a long time, never again.
Old May 16th 2003, 6:25 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
Foolishly went to Montezuma's in Noosa, spent about $80 on lunch, it was not only the worst Mexican I've eaten it was probably the worst meal out in a long time, never again.
Did you experience 'Montezuma's revenge'?!!!

Cheers - Don
Old May 16th 2003, 6:34 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Did you experience 'Montezuma's revenge'?!!!

Cheers - Don

Yeah, it was the bill!
Old May 16th 2003, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

All you can eat is pretty gross. Last two we went to had filthy carpets with food trodden in. Sat next to a couple who weighed 40 stone between them and they were trowling the food in. Made me feel sick to be honest. People grabbing food out of the bowls with their fingers. Cost for 4 with 1 drink $117.

You sound single to me. Most people here are bringing a family so food costs would be very different as would transport, household expenses, healthcare etc. We've all had our student/backpacker days enjoy them but please realise family finances are way different.

As their is nothing in your profile or you post to indicate where you are, you could well be in Bangladesh and the locals in the resturant may behave that way.

It's def not the case in the sizzler resturant in the Meyer centre in Brisbane. I've ate in numerous Sizzler resturants and the like worldwide and never experienced what you suggest.

I would suggest you try a westernised resturant in whatever country you live (if they have any).
Old May 16th 2003, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Try this place. Hathi, in Maroochydore Sunshine coast, Indian food run by Indians. Curries about $15 and huge amounts, BYO wine and they do a smorgasboard for about $16 a head. Its not the flashest looking place but the food is great.

Make sure you get the right indian restaurant tho HATHI, there is another one in same area, and its owners used to own a McDonalds, say no more.
Old May 16th 2003, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
Sizzler is low priced for a reason, it's s**t. You would definitley need to spend $100 plus for two for a decent meal out, I've just had lunch for two with no alcohol for over $80. Not that I'm complaining, I think these prices quite reasonable and there are some really good places to eat out in Brissy. Sizzler, however, is not one of them.
Yes, Sizzlers is AWFUL. Also, a lot of the RSL and sporting clubs around here do an "all you can eat" - again, its pretty dire - same food on offer (EVERY day for the last 10 years I hear) - we went out for an "Indian" meal in Brisbane Bayside a few weeks ago - I had to laugh when the waiter asked my husband if he wanted his Vindaloo "Mild, Medium or Hot"... They haven`t got a clue. The service was diabolical, the meal pretty abysmal, and the charge? $149 for two!!!

In the UK we could get a very tasty Indian blowout for the two of us for around £30-40.
Old May 16th 2003, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Try this place. Hathi, in Maroochydore Sunshine coast, Indian food run by Indians. Curries about $15 and huge amounts, BYO wine and they do a smorgasboard for about $16 a head. Its not the flashest looking place but the food is great.

Make sure you get the right indian restaurant tho HATHI, there is another one in same area, and its owners used to own a McDonalds, say no more.

Thanks, but no thanks, if it dosn't come with chips I don't want to know.

But you have confirmed my origional premise that you can get good meal here without spending a fortune.

I'd have trouble getting a good Steak meal for $16, but it proves you can get value for money meals here.

Aw well almost time to knock off work.

Back Monday same time same place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.