Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Median Property Prices from 1982 to 2004

Australian Median Property Prices from 1982 to 2004

Old May 11th 2005, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Median Property Prices from 1982 to 2004

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Too true. The thing is, for anyone who has children (and therefore needs a house rather than a flat), they are going to go through a stage where they do not have two full time incomes. This stage will last years and even when it's over there are childcare costs.

As for dual income families resulting in a one-time and irreversible adjustment to house prices, I don't buy it. I heard precisely the same argument put forward in the late 80s but prices in the UK and Australia still crashed in the early 90s.

The bottom line is that we're experiencing a bubble in house prices and therefore will correct to historical average income multiples. Unfortunately, bubbles tend to overcorrect - the UK bubble of the 80s bottomed out at 2.9 x average income.

Anyhow, here's an interesting article about it from GMO:

https://www.gmo.com/NR/rdonlyres/E5E...r_1Q05_ALL.pdf
Very interesting article! I like some of the terms Grantham uses in his analysis - 2 sigma events (2 SD's from mean), animal spirits, serious land mine, regression to the mean and so on. "The Australian residential real estate market could be the canary in the coal mine - that is, a harbinger of bad things to come for to come for the lot of us. And it MAY be." (my emphasis).

"Over the years we have asked over 2,000 professionals for an exception to our claim that every asset class move of 2 sigmas away from trend had broken, and not one of the 2,000 has ever offered an exception". He then goes on to say that oil prices MAY just be the first thing to break away (if Chinese growth and supply problems continue).

I noticed that Grantham quotes one Modigliani in the 2nd article!!?? The name seems familiar somehow.

I wonder whether Canary Wharf will go before Sydney?

OzTennis