Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Originally Posted by nicgrace
Hi guys - am just after a little advice!

We're come over for a Reccie at Christmas, and would like to try and exchange some currency now.

Only about £1k! However, the best rate we can get from Travelex or the Post Office is about $2.35 to the pound.

Can you suggest where I could get a better rate of exchange?
I always found that Marks and Spencer had the best rates for tourist money.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I always found that Marks and Spencer had the best rates for tourist money.
I'd go with M&S as the best high street rate. beats the post office marginally. they set rates at about 9am every day. same as the post office. they are then fixed for that day.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

Oz forex showing 2.69 atm
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:05 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Well iv just transfered all my savings from the uk, £143,000 and got 2.54! Im very happy with the rate just worrys me that i have no plans on buying a house for a year or two and with there been no guarentee on savings over here, well who knows what could happen??? But where do you put it other than a bank????
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by rocket01
hmm missed that market seems to be bouncing around the 2.56 mark !??

Now do I limit order for 2.7???
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

I've got an order in for $2.70. Money exchanger phoned this morning and asked what I wanted to do - I said to leave it.To be honest it's doing my head in. He said hopefully the next time he speaks to me it will be to tell me the order has been filled - everything's crossed - in this market it could go anyway.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Reading fan
I've got an order in for $2.70. Money exchanger phoned this morning and asked what I wanted to do - I said to leave it.To be honest it's doing my head in. He said hopefully the next time he speaks to me it will be to tell me the order has been filled - everything's crossed - in this market it could go anyway.
Which one you using? I'm in no real rush, mind you if gavbro's prediction of 2.75 by December comes to pass should be no worries!?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

I am signed on with Moneycorp,HiFX and ukForex. I've used Moneycorp for 2 trades and it went ok the only bum*mer is the other day when it all went ballistic their phones went down apparently a "BT fault" not very helpful couldn't get the top price esp when you could have converted back the day after !
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Carlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to all

We also used money corp (broker was adam jordam), very happy with the process, simple and straight forward. We traded all our funds on weds, got a pretty good deal 2.55, which we think is ok, but obviously wish we had the nerve or vision (crystal ball) to hold out for maybe 2.65/2.70, but at stage you must decide when its a good time, as the markets turn so quickly..

Good luck to everyone

Russ
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rocket01
that's not right. not been over $2.58 in 24 hours.
It was last at $2.69 about 11.00, 2 days ago. that was the highest for 5 years apparently.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

beaumonts is an unknown quantity at this point

OZFOREX are not taking on new customers til 13th oct
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
There are no fundamental reasons for the rate to improve for you....there are for it to get worse though. However the markets are a law unto themselves so no-one can tell you what will actually happen.
Just wanted to remind folks where this thread started: at 2.11!!!!!!

Current rate 2.58, and there are many reasons why the exchange rate would improve over time, not least of which being the rate in Jan-April that was lowest in a decade, plus looming global recession/slowdown, reduction in commodity values etc

Not sure it will get that much better than it is now, as traditionally, it has peaked at no more than 3 to pound and then only extremely rarely - but happy to be hung by my own post in months to come!!

Of course, there is no-one who could have predicted change in rates as dramatically as it has happened, but it seems to me like a swing back to the natural order of things.

Just look at Iceland: international banking superpower? I think not......

When push comes to shove in the next few months, logic will apply: money will flow to the areas it traditionally flows and in the traditional amounts: most at risk will be the companies or banks or countries where you look at economic indicators and think: "how did you become so big so quick?"

Twinset
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by beaumonts
That might work out in your favour: we were mad we missed the first big spike, because account not set up - then we caught the second, much bigger.......so happy bunny now.

With markets the way they are, exchange rate seems to be doing ok at moment...could you go with anyone else?

Last edited by Twinset; Oct 10th 2008 at 12:21 pm. Reason: cnat splel
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

try Hi-fx. best to register with a few, in case you have problems getting thru to one.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

the pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nice

Nor are Tranzfers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.