Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:58 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Originally Posted by BATS666
very out of date now, Chris. Must've been written last year.
Try this one...........mm
http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/cu...ralian-dollar/
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Or just roll a dice
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Or just roll a dice
I'd rather toss a coin. People say I'm a great tosser !!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:11 pm

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd rather toss a coin. People say I'm a great tosser !!
PMSL.......
Old Oct 15th 2008, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chilliman
I'm going in Feb so in the same boat, who know's what will happen between now & then but am thinking about a limit order for 2.7 ... still not placed but then then the rate hasn't hit that yet!!? If ever !??
it has - last week!

Originally Posted by DrWho
Bearing in mind where it was just a little while ago I'd take anything over 2.50 right now... You'd really kick yourself if it stabilises at 2.40 and you didn't get some action...
That's just what I am doing now.......think I might change the limit order to 2.6 instead of 2.7.......god I hate these decisions - whatever I do it'll be wrong and as we don't have access to all our funds yet I'll have to keep looking rather than close my eyes and put my fingers in my ears and hum.....
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Safin
it has - last week!

That's just what I am doing now.......think I might change the limit order to 2.6 instead of 2.7.......god I hate these decisions - whatever I do it'll be wrong and as we don't have access to all our funds yet I'll have to keep looking rather than close my eyes and put my fingers in my ears and hum.....
Yeah I missed the 2.7, still hoping that Gavbro's information is correct - heck don't need the money until March next year !??
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chilliman
Yeah I missed the 2.7, still hoping that Gavbro's information is correct - heck don't need the money until March next year !??
I dont think you would have got $2.70. The ACTUAL exchange rate went just over $2.70 but the rate you would have got would have been about $2.67-8. Any limit order at $2.70 wouldn't have kicked in.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

I'm still repeating my mantra "the rate will rise,the rate will rise" don't need to change before we go (3 weeks ) but don't need the hassle of calling banks etc once we are there - now the savings guarantee is in place would be nice to whack it in a high as poss rate acct and spend the interest with no worries
Old Oct 15th 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

I dont think you would have got $2.70. The ACTUAL exchange rate went just over $2.70 but the rate you would have got would have been about $2.67-8. Any limit order at $2.70 wouldn't have kicked in.
Missed the peak but could've had $2.61 when spoke to Moneycorp, didn't have my "beans in a row" then, que cera cera ... will watch & see!?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Peapod is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

(I hope I am doing this properly!)

I have read everyone's posts and people are saying that they are "setting" their exchange rates to 2.70.

Does this mean you can automatically set up an exhange when the market hits 2.70 and the monies will be transfered automatically?

I am looking at XE as an exchange rate and they seem to vary so much between forex and all of the others.

HELP - who are the best company to use? We will (hopefully) be sending over about £50 000 in December - we have "lost" so much money selling our house in the UK because of the PRICE CRASHES.. we don't want to lose anymore by missing something!

Thanks - any help/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Oct 16th 2008, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Peapod,

Sure if you read a few of the threads on this you will pick up most of the accumulated wisdom: first thing to do is register with the forex firms (register with a few, ozforex, hifx and others). They will give you a range of options: buy now, set a limit at which you can buy e.g. buy automatically at 2.70, or forward exchange contract i.e. exchange at rate x on 1st of month someting in year x, up to 2 years in advance for a downpayment as deposit (normally 5-10%).

Watch the exchange rates: then when you see the right rate for you (and only you can decide what that is), ring the dealers and get a price, generally 3ish cents below the forex rate.

I am sure I am missing loads and others on these forums will sort you out, but you must be registered to use the services of a forex agency. So register!!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

vanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura about

you will also need to open an Oz bank account to deposit the money into once it is exchanged. I've just opened an ANZ account online, although I cannot access the money until I go to a branch in Oz (I suspect this is something to do with money laundering regulations), although you can put it into a higher interest savings account.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vanessandave
you will also need to open an Oz bank account to deposit the money into once it is exchanged. I've just opened an ANZ account online, although I cannot access the money until I go to a branch in Oz (I suspect this is something to do with money laundering regulations), although you can put it into a higher interest savings account.
you dont need an Oz bank account, just a AU$ account, which can be anywhere.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Don't forget if you push them they will disclose what rate they are giving you below the interbank trading. Which is helpful because, you know which one to phone first if theres a peak.
The best we got was 0.68 cents below interbank trading which took some negotiating. But know we have it, they have honoured on three exchanges
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flodsfive
Don't forget if you push them they will disclose what rate they are giving you below the interbank trading. Which is helpful because, you know which one to phone first if theres a peak.
The best we got was 0.68 cents below interbank trading which took some negotiating. But know we have it, they have honoured on three exchanges
the ozforex site shows the interbank lending rate as well as the rate they offer you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.