Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Arrogance

Australian Arrogance

Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light
Default Australian Arrogance

I recently moved back to the UK after nine long years in Australia.
Sydney and Brisbane.

I had no real complaints about the weather , although it did get a bit too hot and sticky in the summer and the flies put a stop to any picnics and oh yes it lacked green hills and countryside to have a decent walk and picnic with the family.

The main issue I had with Australia is how most Aussies actually believe they are better than the rest of the human race (god knows why)

Many Aussies haven't travelled or been outside their own back yard and just listen to the Aussie media telling them how wonderful they are and their country.

I'm much more content now back here in Derbyshire , England isn't perfect but one thing I can say for sure, neither is Australia.

Difference is the British are not so arrogant and one -eyed.

I would warn anyone thinking of moving to Oz to think and think again , if you move to Australia you will bacome a second class pom instead of being a proud Englishman . ( A pom is an Englishman who has basically had his spine removed)
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:39 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Arrogance

Originally Posted by MDawson
Sydney and Brisbane.

I had no real complaints about the weather , although it did get a bit too hot and sticky in the summer and the flies put a stop to any picnics and oh yes it lacked green hills and countryside to have a decent walk and picnic with the family.

The main issue I had with Australia is how most Aussies actually believe they are better than the rest of the human race (god knows why)

Many Aussies haven't travelled or been outside their own back yard and just listen to the Aussie media telling them how wonderful they are and their country.

I'm much more content now back here in Derbyshire , England isn't perfect but one thing I can say for sure, neither is Australia.

I would warn anyone thinking of moving to Oz to think and think again , if you move to Australia you will bacome a second class pom instead of being a proud Englishman . ( A pom is an Englishman who has basically had his spine removed)

Sorry you feel that way, but to put it in perspective, the same can be said of any nationality, be they Australian, Briton, American etc etc...
Personally, I think Americans have a bigger opinion of themselves than anyone else, plus they are the saviours of the free world and are better than anyone else.

Last edited by The Bloke; Apr 10th 2010 at 11:41 am.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:41 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Sydney and Brisbane.

It's probably because you lived in a shit bogan suburb 30mins out from the city that no decent middle class Australians would even consider visiting.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Weebie
It's probably because you lived in a shit bogan suburb 30mins out from the city that no decent middle class Australians would even consider visiting.
Thats funny most of my neighbours were Australian and my wife , so your comments are just not accurate , if you are going to make comments on this thread please think first before you make silly statements.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:55 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Thats funny most of my neighbours were Australian and my wife , so your comments are just not accurate , if you are going to make comments on this thread please think first before you make silly statements.
That's not what I was implying. But on this site many people move to areas of Australian cities that are highly not desirable but many middleclass Australians. In this region your likely to find non travelling bogan, Straaaayyaaa's the greatest place on earth type of people. Just a thought.

More on topic you've done 9 years which is a long time. Maybe it's time to head back. You can always come back here.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Weebie
More on topic you've done 9 years which is a long time. Maybe it's time to head back. You can always come back here.
Read the very first line of the OP again.... he's in Derbyshire !
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney and Brisbane.

Your opinion is your opinion but don't you think this is a bit of a blanket statement?

I meet many Australians and to say that most think that they are better than anyone else is simply not true. I don't think in all of my time here I have had anyone tell me that they are better than me.

I think pretty much everyone I meet has travelled (apart from my plumber who has now been to Bali!) and most still do. In fact there are a group of us going to France and the UK in September this year.

I have never felt or been treated like a second class citizen and don't know of any of my friends who have felt this way either.

I think you probably reap what you sew.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:12 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

if you move to Australia you will bacome a second class pom instead of being a proud Englishman
Well, I wasn't a proud Englishman to start with...but no-one's made me feel like a second-class anything. I don't know any Aussies that have never been anywhere. And you lived in Sydney and there was nowhere green and hilly for a picnic and walk nearby? (I don't know Brissie at all).

I'm not trying to make out that Australia is any sort of dreamland but I'm surprised that those were the things that characterised your time here! Agree with you that the media is often rubbish and hilariously parochial.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:14 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney and Brisbane.

Does it matter and at what point does national pride become arrogance. Personally I think Australian's pale in comparison to the French in the arrogance stakes.

And arsenal fans obviously
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

Every time one of 'these' threads starts up people come on and tell us how all the Australians they know are global travellers, jetting from place to place all the time.... well I was talking to the young girl serving me today in Subway and she had never even left NSW. !
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

if you are going to make comments on this thread please think first before you make silly statements.
Your statement in post #1 was pretty silly.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:33 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Your statement in post #1 was pretty silly.
Along with the other two "I hate Australia and Australians" type threads.........
Just wondering if the OP is "John Stanton" in disguise?
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Every time one of 'these' threads starts up people come on and tell us how all the Australians they know are global travellers, jetting from place to place all the time.... well I was talking to the young girl serving me today in Subway and she had never even left NSW. !
Young girl in subway! - Doesn't really prove any point. Yes, of course there are people who haven't travelled but that is the same in the UK. My sister had never travelled until she came here last year - she has never been to London either but that is because is poor and can't afford to get away.

I think most people travel these days if the have the funds to do so. However, having said that some people don't but that is the same the world over.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hebe
Young girl in subway! - Doesn't really prove any point.
It proves the point that not EVERY Australian is sponsored by Thomas Cooks. Plenty do travel, but its not the 100% people try to portray.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
It proves the point that not EVERY Australian is sponsored by Thomas Cooks. Plenty do travel, but its not the 100% people try to portray.
But people aren't saying EVERY Australian - however, the OP said many Australians don't travel but it would appear that for the people who post on here that is simply not the case.

I think that, generally speaking, the people who haven't travelled are usually the young, the elderly or the poor. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but this is the same the world over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.